U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2010, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Here and there and everywhere!
1,907 posts, read 3,714,170 times
Reputation: 701

Advertisements

When I rented the place I am living in, I was surprised to find that my landlord did not cover the Greenville Water System bill. In Michigan, where I am from, the person renting never pays for water, the landlord does. Now water is cheaper in MI, we have no shortage of water there, so I figure things might be done differently here.

I am waiting to hear about a job that would take me totally out of the area, but if that doesn't come through, I want to try to renegotiate my rent, either having it lowered, or having my landlord cover the water.

If you are a renter, could you tell me if you pay the water bill or if your landlord does, and what sort of unit you live in, whether it is an apt., duplex, single family home or condo/townhome. I'm just trying to decide which is the best way to go, asking for a rent reduction or asking for the water bill to be paid.

Tia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Back Home in the High Country
2,045 posts, read 3,068,340 times
Reputation: 1481
When we rented last year, water was covered in the rent. We were in a large apt. complex.

Good luck - with the job and/or the renegotiation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Simpsonville
273 posts, read 541,332 times
Reputation: 119
I think water is included at most apartment complexes because it isn't feasible to install meters on each unit. But if you are renting from a private individual at a place with its own meter, you'll normally have to pay your own water. I've rented a duplex in SC and a townhouse in NC and had to pay my water both times. One of my friends is a landlord with houses and condos and he doesn't cover water. You might have better luck asking for a rent reduction. That way the landlord can agree to a set rent amount. The water bill will be variable, depending how often you do laundry, how long your showers are, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 04:30 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,555 posts, read 2,178,330 times
Reputation: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
When I rented the place I am living in, I was surprised to find that my landlord did not cover the Greenville Water System bill. In Michigan, where I am from, the person renting never pays for water, the landlord does. Now water is cheaper in MI, we have no shortage of water there, so I figure things might be done differently here.

I am waiting to hear about a job that would take me totally out of the area, but if that doesn't come through, I want to try to renegotiate my rent, either having it lowered, or having my landlord cover the water.

If you are a renter, could you tell me if you pay the water bill or if your landlord does, and what sort of unit you live in, whether it is an apt., duplex, single family home or condo/townhome. I'm just trying to decide which is the best way to go, asking for a rent reduction or asking for the water bill to be paid.

Tia!
Everyone I know in Greenville who is renting has their water included in the rent. Wow possible new job (relocation) in a different city......sorry to hear that the job opportunities are not working out for you in Greenville. At least you realized it before you made a long term committment by purchasing a home in the area. No one should have to suffer by living someplace with limited opportunities......good luck with the job hope everything works out well for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 05:18 PM
 
Location: G'vlle
228 posts, read 325,772 times
Reputation: 70
I second the comment above about how most apartment complexes include water and trash, but if you rent a house, duplex, townhome, etc. you usually pay those bills. Water varies so much by city/town too. When I lived in Fort Mill/Lancaster county, I paid almost $50 a month for water for just one person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Here and there and everywhere!
1,907 posts, read 3,714,170 times
Reputation: 701
Thanks guys, I will stick to asking for a reduction in rent if I end up staying around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Here and there and everywhere!
1,907 posts, read 3,714,170 times
Reputation: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Everyone I know in Greenville who is renting has their water included in the rent. Wow possible new job (relocation) in a different city......sorry to hear that the job opportunities are not working out for you in Greenville. At least you realized it before you made a long term committment by purchasing a home in the area. No one should have to suffer by living someplace with limited opportunities......good luck with the job hope everything works out well for you.

You are reading a lot into what I said. The new job would take me all over the country actually, not just one place and would be pretty much my dream job. I have a ft and pt job here in Greenville at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 PM
 
2,053 posts, read 3,475,687 times
Reputation: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
You are reading a lot into what I said. The new job would take me all over the country actually, not just one place and would be pretty much my dream job. I have a ft and pt job here in Greenville at the moment.
Where I rented when I moved here water was not included, trash was, I also had to do my own lawn maintenance. It was a full house that I rented, not an apartment, I took it as training for buying a home, which I ended up doing last year in Easley.
Most of the places I rented up north(Rochester ny) were everything included, but also cost more and included less. I've also noticed that some places around here expect you to bring your own refrigerator, which I thought was so weird, keep in mind this is not every place, but more than a few home rentals I looked at were like that.

P.S. don't mind NYB, he's very interested in the job market in Greenville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Here and there and everywhere!
1,907 posts, read 3,714,170 times
Reputation: 701
Ya know, I don't know why, but I think NYB is a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2010, 07:29 PM
 
13 posts, read 23,448 times
Reputation: 20
Rapunzll,

While I certainly sympathize with your situation, the bottom line is you didn't do your homework when renting the place, read the lease carefully for what you were or were not responsible for, ask questions to cover your behind or some combination thereof. You know what they say about assumptions.

Not many landlords are going to change the terms to increase their expenses because you didn't protect yourself by reading/understanding the lease. By all means ask and best of luck on that. All I am saying is this is a long shot IMHO. You are responsible for whatever terms you agreed to.

Also best of luck with your new job prospects. Caveat emptor. All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top