Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:10 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,855,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
I haven't missed much at all. They don't seem to have Drake's anywhere, so if you like Devil dogs and that sort of thing...

The only thing we're having some trouble with is finding a place that sels good cheeses. The only gourmet cheese department I know if is whole foods, and they're not even that good. Finding certain cheeses like Manchego, for instance, is hit or miss. Sometimes Publix has it, sometimes (like when you need it for a particular recipe) they don't.

Most everything else is available. But I have to say that all supermarket knishes are pretty bad if you've ever had the real thing.
In addition to the two that UpstateBooster recommended, try the New York Butcher Shoppe. They have a pretty good cheese selection. Manchego is usually pretty easy to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:58 PM

27 posts, read 105,951 times
there are no good bagels or bialys. man, i could crush a bialy right now!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:05 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,538,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRedBull View Post
Gotta be honest - don't know what on earth bialys are.... BUT you can get GREAT bagels at Bruegger's on Woodruff Rd or Greenfield's (kosher deli) on Laurens Rd in the Verdae Market Fair shopping center.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:11 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,440,060 times
Quote:

What, pray tell, is a "bialy"?

Old 02-01-2010, 04:15 PM

857 posts, read 4,877,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I'll tell you one thing that I think would be a huge hit here....an Egg Cream. I haven't found a place in the area that serves egg creams. I know they are big up in the tristate area.
OMG!!! I haven't even heard anyone mention an egg cream in years!

I haven't gotten to Greenville yet. I'm still living in Atlanta, but aside from bagels and bialys not being the same here another thing that is missing down here is really good italian bread, like you get at the bakeries in Brooklyn. I don't think it is because nobody can bake as well down here. I think it is because the water is different and therefore you can't duplicate the texture and taste.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM

27 posts, read 105,951 times
a bialy is basically a bagel without the hole in the center of it. bialys are baked and not boiled before baking like bagels. they are big up in the jersey, nyc area. simply delicious, too.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,874,828 times
Quote:
Kossar's ships, order online...

Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
OMG!!! I haven't even heard anyone mention an egg cream in years!

I haven't gotten to Greenville yet. I'm still living in Atlanta, but aside from bagels and bialys not being the same here another thing that is missing down here is really good italian bread, like you get at the bakeries in Brooklyn. I don't think it is because nobody can bake as well down here. I think it is because the water is different and therefore you can't duplicate the texture and taste.
Another thing that you will notice (depending on where you go) if you are into Chinese food.....they do not make good Chinese food in the south. Noticed that some ingredients that I am used to seeing in my fried rice here in NYC like bean sprouts are not used in any of the Chinese restaurants that I have eaten at in the south. Having fried rice with peas and carrots just does not do it for me. Chinatown was one of the first places I ran to when I moved back here!! Oh and let's not forget the mile high pastrami sandwiches.....have not seen that in the south either

Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Boars Head cold cuts (which I love) have made their way to SC.....thought I was going to suffer and not be able to find in the supermarket. The Publix supermarkets have it in their locations around Greenville....they make sandwiches with it at the deli counter.
I'm not sure when they got to SC, but we've had Boars Head in FL for as long as I've been down here (~20 years), and not just at Publix, it's sold in lots of deli's down here.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:15 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,429 times
Good salt bagels and Black and Whites are hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area