Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:54 PM

44 posts, read 92,545 times

Advertisements

I (age 34) currently live very happily with my husband (36) and children (8 & 4) in Richmond, VA. My husband is a Dr. and has been offered a job in Greenville, by the same practice, THREE times in less than one year. They are a very busy practice and really want him!! Offering a very good salary which would benefit us HUGELY! We visited in Sept., turned it down in Nov., but here they are, hiring again! So it seems like fate is staring straight in our faces but it's so hard to leave where you love. So when we visited, we LOVED downtown! Unfortunately it was a horrible rainy day and I thought everything else looked ugly. Older, not as 'built up' as I may be used to. I noticed the street lights hang from wires...things like that. But I can get over that, what I desperately need to know is where can I find a neighborhood, preferably in Oakmont Elem. school system, where my kids will have lots of friends on their street to play with? And will we find the friendly neighbors, like the ones we'll be leaving. That's what is important to us, we're very social and have lots of friends in VA. I would so appreciate info on neighborhoods, schools...we would probably rent a house for a while. Has anyone ever heard of the Spring Hill subdivision in Greer? Cute house for rent. Thanks SO much!

Last edited by Kwow; 02-11-2010 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 AM

5,518 posts, read 15,289,849 times
I would NEVER advise anyone to leave the people and places they and their family love ***simply for the sake of a greater income***, unless they are teetering at the brink of financial desolation and see no other option after exhaustive research. Self sacrifice is great for building integrative character, yet most effective when priorities are in order. According to the original post, your husband is a doctor (perhaps a significant contribution to your claim of contentment), thus my confusion regarding the question and its relation to "fate". Is your family's contentment less important than a more expensive lifestyle?

After additional research, your perception of Greenville would undoubtedly change for the better, however it is highly doubtful that you and your family could live here completely free of regret. This would seriously taint your perception of the Upstate and ultimately affect your level of contentment.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 AM

156 posts, read 330,893 times
^^Ditto

Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 AM

370 posts, read 943,667 times
I totally agree with the previous posts as well. You may be better off staying where you are at this point in your life. Money is very overrated in comparison with family, friends and other roots you have established in Richmond. If you are happy there, I would also advise you to stay. You really have to want to make the changes in order to do a move like this. Remember, everything you know about your former life will change with a long distance move! Are you ready for that? If you can say yes, then consider it. I've been there and am speaking from experience. All the best with your decision!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 PM

Default Please convince me to move to greenville area

Thank you for the advice, I just need to clarify a bit, I think. I do not feel that my family's contentment is less important than a more expensive lifestyle in any way. My husband's med. school loans are enormous along with the debt we accrued during the years he was training. We would like to save for our children to attend college as well as wipe out this debt so we can finally get ahead, not to mention it's a wonderful advancement for my husband's career . This move/job would essentially get rid of the debt immediately and that's really hard to turn down. We did this once before only that time we left our entire families (his and mine) in NJ to take a job in VA, that worked out beautifully, just hoping this will too! I appreciate the advice, does that clarify why we feel we need to do this, work hard now so you don't have to later? Plus, the last thing we want is for our kids to have to take out loans and start their careers off with debt (like us) because we didn't do what we should have done to prevent that.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:48 AM

370 posts, read 943,667 times
A move that will wipe out all debt? Wow, I guess that definitely is something to consider. Maybe you guys could come back for a 2nd look. That would be my advise. See how you feel about the area the 2nd time around. Greenville is definitely a nice place to raise a family!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Default please convince me to move to greenville area

We will return to check out homes in a couple of months... I'd still love ANY advice on great neighborhoods and schools. My impression has been that Oakview is one of the best schools in the area, aside from Sterling, which I know my daughter would have to test into, we will try. But I also see that Bells Crossing's test scores are very good and has better parent reviews....Suggestions, comments, advice??? Thanks!! This face sums up my emotions!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 AM

179 posts, read 460,841 times
Question: Why is Oakmont that important for you? I know nothing of the school, so I'm not commenting on it either way, I'm just curious.

With your desire for friendly neighbors and children for your kids to play with, perhaps a planned neighborhood development like Verdae might be what you're looking for. It is moving ahead a bit more slowly than expected due to the economy, but the idea is to have homes, a few retail shops, a park, and other amenities all in walking distance.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM

Yes, you're right, Verde is EXACTLY what we want. There's a developer here in VA working on a project like Verde and I LOVE the concept. We asked the realtor about it when we visited down there and she said they pretty much stopped working on it. I should definitely investigate more...thanks! Oakmont has the highest standardized test scores in the area where we want to move, Simpsonville, Greer. Bells Crossing is next in line. The realtor raved about Oakmont as well...Actually Sterling has the highest scores but there's and entrance exam for that school.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM

49 posts, read 102,128 times
I'm pretty sure you are referring to Oakview Elementary. Mauldin Elementary is another good choice; it feeds in to Mauldin Middle and Mauldin High, both excellent and well awarded schools in the Greenville/Simpsonville/Mauldin area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area