U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,238 times

Advertisements

I know there has been a few threads about this but I have some specific requirments that I hope people from greenville will have answers to.
My husband and I are in our mid 20's and are wanting to settle down in a place to eventually raise a family. The city we live in now does not have oppurtunity for children and has poor school systems. 1. does greenville have opportunity for kid's, playgroups,good preschools, extra curricular activities (soccer, gymnastics etc)? This is extremely important to us as this is a top reason why we are wanting to leave our current city. I have read some of the threads about shool systems so I know you have many to choose from. My major thing is before kids enter school, like music classes and fun things to do.
2. does greenville have a recycling program? Are there health food stores and organic sections at grocery stores? We are, or try to be 'green' as much as possible. we recycle everything, have a compost and eat organic and natural foods.
3. What are the job oppurtunitys like? I am in health care and my husband is a plumber.
4. What is the climate really like? I heard you get all four seasons but the winters are very mild. We are looking to get away from the freezing cold winters and three feet of snow.
5. What are the bugs like there? Where we live now the mosquitos are horrible in the summer! I hope to get away from that
Well this is all i can think about right now. I know the best thing to do is come to greenville and experience it, we plan to in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 AM

748 posts, read 1,762,867 times
1. There are tons of opportunties for kids--I don't see anything that you've listed that you would not find a lot of in Greenville. It is a very family friendly region with a lot to offer in all the areas you listed. Plus there are a lot of 20-something couples and families here.

2. Greenville has a newer Whole Foods which is really popular. Sets Greenville apart from similarly sized metros that don't have one. Plus there are plenty of other smaller health food/organic stores like Earth Fare, Garners, Fresh Market, etc.

3. There are several major healthcare systems in the area. The three biggest Greenville Hospital System, St. Francis Health, and Spartanburg Regional all have multiple campuses and facilities. There are other smaller healthcare systems in nearby counties as well.

4. Well we've had back-to-back snow storms, but who hasn't recently! But after two or three days almost all the snow is melted. Not sure where you are moving from, but I'd say on average the winters are relatively mild, maybe averaging in the 30s in the AM and the high 40s or a little higher in the PM. Not uncommon to be in the 50s. Occasional snow and ice though.

5. I don't think the mosquitos are really that bad, especially compared to the lower parts of the state with more humid climate.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:47 PM

511 posts, read 1,253,192 times
Default move

There is also AnMed in Anderson if you want to work in a hospital. I agree with the previous post. I think you will find what you want here. There are sporting events, dance classes for pre-schoolers. We also have the new Childrens Museum, all sorts of activities downtown and at the libraries. Little Theatre, Peace Center, the zoo! I am sure others will help with the list. It's been a while since I had children that small.

Not sure about plumbers but there is a lot of construction going around here!

Mosquitoes--they love me but a little spray will help.

This has been our coldest winter in a while. We are usually fairly mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area