U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-15-2010, 08:09 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 868,008 times
Reputation: 617
Default My layman's solution to traffic on Woodruff Road

Right now, most of the businesses on Woodruff Road can only be accessed from Woodruff Road. But there's plenty of room on the other side of these businesses for more roads. Look at the black lines on the map I have attached. There's nothing built there. Wouldn't additional roads be a big step forward?

The Shops at Greenridge really should have a way to access from the back and not force everyone to go in through the busiest part of Woodruff Road.
Attached Thumbnails
My layman's solution to traffic on Woodruff Road-fixwoodruff.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2010, 12:46 PM
 
1,016 posts, read 1,089,235 times
Reputation: 329
I am sure you can get that done for a couple of million $.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Upstate SC!
2,408 posts, read 2,251,699 times
Reputation: 1473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
I am sure you can get that done for a couple of million $.
Yea, except for the part where you cross 85, that may cost a few extra bucks
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Spartanburg, SC
8,839 posts, read 12,990,101 times
Reputation: 1807
I apologize for this rant in advance but I just really need to speak my mind.

I will never understand why people who complain about the traffic on Woodruff Road don't change their habits and drive on it on weekdays instead when traffic problems are less. Are they stupid in the head or something? My solution: drive on Woodruff Road on weekdays or get to Greenridge by driving through the new road by Carolina First/Point. That's what I do. People who think traffic is bad on Woodruff Road really need to go to Atlanta sometime. Woodruff Road traffic is nothing compared to that. If you don't like the traffic on the road, do what I do or don't drive on it. Problem solved. Oh and look it doesn't cost any money either. OP, the last thing we need is more roads. We need more mass transit instead.

Last edited by g-man430; 02-15-2010 at 05:11 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 05:38 PM
 
704 posts, read 814,116 times
Reputation: 541
I have found that the best way to get to Greenridge is to go through ICAR. That road comes out right between Whole Foods and Cracker Barrel. You can go through the Whole Foods parking lot to hit the road that goes straight through the red light into Greenridge. You are on your own when you get into that nightmare of a shopping center. That center has a terrible traffic flow layout, as does the area around the cinemas at the old mall. By the way, we went to the Lenox Square area of Atlanta a couple of months ago. There was no traffic that compares to the mess on Woodruff Road. At least in that part of Atlanta you felt like you were making progress toward your destination. Also, the shopping centers had very good traffic flow. The ones on Woodruff Road do not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 05:39 PM
 
108 posts, read 138,727 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I apologize for this rant in advance but I just really need to speak my mind.
I will never understand why people who complain about the traffic on Woodruff Road don't change their habits and drive on it on weekdays instead when traffic problems are less. Are they stupid in the head or something? My solution: drive on Woodruff Road on weekdays or get to Greenridge by driving through the new road by Carolina First/Point. That's what I do. People who think traffic is bad on Woodruff Road really need to go to Atlanta sometime. Woodruff Road traffic is nothing compared to that. If you don't like the traffic on the road, do what I do or don't drive on it. Problem solved. Oh and look it doesn't cost any money either. OP, the last thing we need is more roads. We need more mass transit instead.
Not going to argue with you (as you have done with others on this site and U.P.) but the point is that the traffic is horrible on Woodruff Road...especially around the shops of Greenridge. I doubt everyone who wants to travel to these Shops/Restaurants on the weekends (when the large majority of people are off of work) are "stupid in the head". True...Atlanta has horrible traffic...does not make me feel better about poor traffic management around the shops of Greenridge.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Spartanburg, SC
8,839 posts, read 12,990,101 times
Reputation: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgame View Post
Not going to argue with you (as you have done with others on this site and U.P.) but the point is that the traffic is horrible on Woodruff Road...especially around the shops of Greenridge. I doubt everyone who wants to travel to these Shops/Restaurants on the weekends (when the large majority of people are off of work) are "stupid in the head". True...Atlanta has horrible traffic...does not make me feel better about poor traffic management around the shops of Greenridge.
It's what I do. People can easily drive on Woodruff Road on weekdays even if they have a full-time job. They just aren't smart enough too. They also aren't smart enough to take the backway in like me and Furmanpals do. Do they not realize there is a road there through ICAR?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 PM
 
907 posts, read 831,080 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I have found that the best way to get to Greenridge is to go through ICAR. That road comes out right between Whole Foods and Cracker Barrel. You can go through the Whole Foods parking lot to hit the road that goes straight through the red light into Greenridge.
I don't know about this area, but cutting through a parking lot is generally illegal. They really need to create a proper connector to Carolina Pkwy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Greenridge. You are on your own when you get into that nightmare of a shopping center. That center has a terrible traffic flow layout
Yes, the 'Shops @ Gridlock' has an interesting layout - 'Chicken' style intersections. Those who are unfamiliar stop at pedestrian crosswalks (no pedestrians present) because they look like a 4 way stop intersection. They wait on you to go. Should you go even though they might realize there's no stop sign at the last moment and floor it? Then there's the reverse chicken when it's a 2-way stop and you are on the part with no stop sign. Do you dare to proceed through when someone else starts because they think it's a 4 way stop because the last person stopped....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Spartanburg, SC
8,839 posts, read 12,990,101 times
Reputation: 1807
I do agree though that Greenridge has a terrible layout and there should be a traffic light at the intersection there between Talbots and PF Changs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Fountain Inn, SC
176 posts, read 247,543 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgame View Post
Not going to argue with you (as you have done with others on this site and U.P.) but the point is that the traffic is horrible on Woodruff Road...especially around the shops of Greenridge. I doubt everyone who wants to travel to these Shops/Restaurants on the weekends (when the large majority of people are off of work) are "stupid in the head". True...Atlanta has horrible traffic...does not make me feel better about poor traffic management around the shops of Greenridge.
Sorry to change the subject, but what is U.P.?

I also take the back way into Greenridge through ICAR, but as the empty lots in ICAR fill up, I think this will become a less attractive option. I agree with G-Man that mass transit should be a priority, but an arterial road to relieve some of the pressure on Woodruff like the original poster noted would be nice as well.

Maybe we can campaign to add the traffic light inside Greenridge between Talbots and PF Changs as a starting place.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top