Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 AM

47 posts, read 127,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
I thought high school was about getting an education, not about freedom. As a parent and tax-payer, I find it reassuring to hear that a principal is "cracking down". I want my children in a school that is safe and conducive to learning.
Ahh yes, you're one of those parents who think the student should stick his nose in the book and not ask questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 AM

23 posts, read 48,345 times
Oh dear! THANK YOU ALL , it's so overwhelming to choose the right school ! we found a house we like in the Eastside school too! so anyone from there?? we are looking forward to move to greenville this summer. Thanks

Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Skyliner, you didn't mention Eastside high school why is that?

Old 02-22-2010, 03:25 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
What extra curricular activities are your kids involved in? This may be something to consider about each school too.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aocz View Post
Oh dear! THANK YOU ALL , it's so overwhelming to choose the right school ! we found a house we like in the Eastside school too! so anyone from there?? we are looking forward to move to greenville this summer. Thanks
I graduated from Eastside. Fantastic school. Newly built a few years ago. Their students have some of the highest test scores in the entire state. I would rank it above Riverside, Mauldin, and JL Mann.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:13 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_gallant View Post
Ahh yes, you're one of those parents who think the student should stick his nose in the book and not ask questions?
I am one of those parents who wants their children to go to school to learn. As far as I am concerned, learning requires students to ask questions.

So, are you saying that students at JL Mann are not allowed to ask questions? You mentioned lack of freedom in your previous post. What freedoms do you feel the students at Mann do not have?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:10 PM

My kids in to cross country,basketball, soccer.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:03 AM

38 posts, read 95,455 times
Default Eastside, Mauldin questions

On my last trip to Greenville earlier this month I was able to visit Eastside and was really impressed. I have two boys, the oldest heading into 9th in the fall is on an IEP for resource for work completion, etc but tests really well, the younger is going into 8th and is straight A's in all honors classes. My question is regarding Mauldin. On Great Schools parents commented that it is very cliquish and a lot of favoritism by staff/administration. One parent commented their AP student did very well at the school and their IEP sibling had a very negative experience.

I realize there are disgruntled parents, students also included in these comments, so, I am hoping to get some experiences from Mauldin parents with a similar situation. The house on the top of my list is in Mauldin boundaries.

I'll be back in two weeks and will visit the school, but, any comments will be really helpful.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2010, 06:36 PM

66 posts, read 220,810 times
We just moved here this past summer and my son was going into 10th grade and I was concerned that the kids would already be into groups and he would have a hard time fitting in as well. I can honestly tell you that he made friends almost right away he said all the kids were friendly and very welcoming. He tried out for the soccer team and made it and has an even larger circle of friends now. He loves Mauldin and is very happy with his school.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 AM

38 posts, read 95,455 times
Default Thanks Margiem!

It helps to hear your son made the adjustment so well. I'll be visiting Mauldin when in GV in two weeks. With the great test scores, I hope that I can put the other concerns to rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area