Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:50 PM

34 posts, read 80,665 times

Advertisements

Hi I am interested in moving to SPartenberg area sometime in the future, can you tell me please and be honest as I have had an awful experience in Syracuse NY in being from the outside!How do people treat transplants?thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 04:15 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Are you looking only at Spartanburg? I personally don't know much about living there and how folks there treat newcomers, but in Greenville, we welcome them! You'd be surprised at how many people who live in this whole area aren't from here.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 PM

5 posts, read 6,489 times
I am from Philadelphia and was wondering the same thing. We are looking in the Greenville and surrounding area. I am surprised at the amount of people that seem to be relocating there! It must have some draw. Any input on neighborhoods? I was told Greer, Mauldin and a few others are family friendly with good schools. How about jobs and the pay....I am a practical nurse and am hoping the rate is similar.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 PM

Not Spartenberg alone, but any area surrounding is fine as long as the schools are good. My husband does Cat Scan and I know the rates are less than NY but the cost of living is a lot less. Is'nt Philly area expensive?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:34 AM

899 posts, read 2,286,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethelhasa View Post
Hi I am interested in moving to SPartenberg area sometime in the future, can you tell me please and be honest as I have had an awful experience in Syracuse NY in being from the outside!How do people treat transplants?thanks
We have lots of transplants in the Spartanburg area, esp. from areas like New York. Pretty much the whole Upstate of South Carolina has lots of people from other parts of the country living here. Some areas more than others. There are probably more transplants in Greenville County but it's all relative since Greenville County is like almost twice the size population-wise as Spartanburg. A lot of transplants I know in the Spartanburg area seem to like to go to Greenville for increased shopping options--it's not a big deal since we're so close.

If your concerned about schools--there are seven school districts in Spartanburg and the two with the most transplants I'd say are Districts 5 and 6...which also happen to be the two best districts and most desirable in the county IMO. So the parts of the county that would most likely appeal to you are the westside of Spartanburg and towns like Duncan and Moore.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:01 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeg1971 View Post
I am from Philadelphia and was wondering the same thing. We are looking in the Greenville and surrounding area. I am surprised at the amount of people that seem to be relocating there! It must have some draw. Any input on neighborhoods? I was told Greer, Mauldin and a few others are family friendly with good schools. How about jobs and the pay....I am a practical nurse and am hoping the rate is similar.
The draw for most people moving from the northern cities (NYC, Philly, New Jersey, Connecticut) is the lower cost of living and the promise of affordable housing. The root of the mass migration from north to south as I am sure you know can be found when looking at the ever increasing prices to live in the north....the high prices up here is fueling the relocation and population increases in the southern states.

The south definitely lives up to it's promise of getting more for your money. But the reason that the cost of living remains low there is because the pay scales are horribly low. Does the low pay scale and low cost of living in SC balance itself out? In my opinion no. But it depends on what you consider decent pay to live in SC. If working just to pay bills with hardly any money left to enjoy is not an issue for you....if making half of what you currently make to do the same job in SC doesn't bother you.....if the limited number of job opportunities in SC when compared to northern cities does not bother you then SC may be the place for you. However being a nurse there are a few hospital systems in the GSP area, you may get lucky and find work there but the pay scales will more then likely be dissapointing.

In Greenville you can get a pretty nice apartment for $600-$650 a month, plus utilities (gas and electric), plus other expenses like a vehicle, food etc.

Whatever you do definitely make sure that you have work before you
relocate......the Greenville SC job market is not easy (in most cases).

Good luck...

Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 AM

23 posts, read 48,867 times
Being from NY myself and relocating almost two years ago to Easley(which is very close to Greenville), I can honestly say it was a great move. What a beautiful area and warm welcoming people! Yes, I do get the "Yankee" comments from time to time, but it makes for good conversation. Kids (13, 7 & 2) have made tons of friends also. As far as cost of living and expenses, yes it is cheaper here. For us, it was the taxes on Long Island that pushed us over the edge, where our typical blue collar 2,100 sqft home taxes were $10,000 per year. Here they are $1,000 per year. NewYorkBorn is right, as you have to really do your homework to make sure your numbers work in your favor. Greenville is worth effort, so sharpen your pencil and good luck.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:27 PM

Long Islanders--where fromLI are you? We orginally are from there but went to Fl for a year then we moved to Syracuse b/c my husbands job paid so much more--what a mistake, the taxes are rediculous high.
Not like LI but close, the schools are worse than FL believe it or not luckily we are renting ai would nEVER buy here. the people hate Long Islanders for the most part, my kids have no friends, and the statement goes If you are from LI you can attend school here but do not move here after if you are not originally from here.

I know the wages are different, but if the property taxes are that much less, than there really is not much of a decrease.

My electric bill was 450.00 dollars last month new taxes on a house b4 closing are roughly 9,000.00 for a less than 2000 sq foot home.

Wish us luck with the job search

Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 AM

23 posts, read 48,867 times
Hey lovethelhasa,

Surprised to hear about the way Syracuse was. As you know, Long Island is such a diverse melting pot, that I never though much about an area shunning a group of people. Everyone was welcome.

Anyway, I grew up in Farmingdale and graduated HS there in 85, then got married and had a house for 8 years in West Babylon. Decided we needed a change and we were introduced to the Greenville area and fell in love with it and just moved! I work remotely for a computer firm on Long Island (in Syosset) that felt they could still utilize me remotely (got lucky), so as far as job market goes, I can't speak to that.

Besides the taxes and traffic and hustle & bustle of LI, we felt the South offers a better way of life.
My wife says, "We were not born in the south, but we came as fast as we could!"

I see you like Lhasas! Had one also. Got a Peke and ****zu now.

Just a thought, look at the town of Easley. Anderson1 district schools are great! We've met so many wonderful people here.

Hope my input helps? (Sorry I was long winded in my reply)

Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM

Hi can you tellmewhat your utilities run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area