Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,703 times

Advertisements

I'm a very easy going, open minded person who is moving to this area. I am totally freaked out by the politics practiced in SC. Poor people are animals? Unbelievable. Anyway, looking first and foremost for awesome schools with high academic and student/family satisfaction. My 15 year old brainiac is currently in a International Baccalaureate program, and I would like to maintain that level of academics.
We need a great school system and a fab established house with grown trees, land for privacy, and no weird home owners associations. Love old houses with park like settings, but not sure if they exist in the type of school district I will need.
Any pockets of New York times readers out there? Anyone who voted for Obama? Take me to your leader! Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgnewbie View Post
I'm a very easy going, open minded person who is moving to this area. I am totally freaked out by the politics practiced in SC. Poor people are animals? Unbelievable. Anyway, looking first and foremost for awesome schools with high academic and student/family satisfaction. My 15 year old brainiac is currently in a International Baccalaureate program, and I would like to maintain that level of academics.
We need a great school system and a fab established house with grown trees, land for privacy, and no weird home owners associations. Love old houses with park like settings, but not sure if they exist in the type of school district I will need.
Any pockets of New York times readers out there? Anyone who voted for Obama? Take me to your leader! Any help would be appreciated!
Check my status under my username. In regards to areas with those amenities you're looking for in a home, the Augusta Road area near downtown and the eastside of Greenville sound good.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
Quote:
Nope, sorry. Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - in South Carolina is ignorant, uneducated, and closed-minded. Nobody voted for Obama - not even one person. I don't think you will find any New York Times readers in South Carolina. Instead, they are probably reading one of the KKK newsletters. Oh yeah, and everyone hunts, fishes, and lives on farms too.

Kidding aside, do you believe everything you hear? And even if what you have heard about South Carolina were true, do you really think that everyone in the state is like that? Greenville-Spartanburg is a metro of over 1 million people. We have international corporations galore, tons of great restaurants, a thriving arts scene, four seasons every year, easy access to the mountains, and one of the best downtowns in the nation. Oh yeah, and people are very friendly too - even to newcomers who aren't aware that Greenville is a very "New South," progressive city.

Best of luck in your search.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
You should be welcomed warmly here. Just don't put so much stock into people's politics. I find it really doesn't matter - the people here are just genuine and want to be helpful by nature, regardless or their (or your) ideology.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 AM

807 posts, read 1,783,880 times
I agree with G-Man on the Augusta Rd. part as well as North Main. You may want to check schools at www.greatschools.net. You may want to check into some of the charter or magnet schools as well. I am not real familiar with them but know someone with a child that age and she is a brain child as well. I am sure you will find what you need.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:59 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
As a newcomer who finally found a house after searching for over a year by going back and forth every few months, I have to say I'm happy with my choice of moving to Greenville County.

Personally, I don't discuss politics OR religion with others, but I can tell you I've been graciously invited to come visit many a church with people I just happen to meet in various places when they find out I'm new to the area. When I thank them, and explain that I'm Jewish, they still say to come. It's not like I've never been in a church, my OH is Christian I don't go to Temple either.

But the key is, people here have been extremely friendly and inviting. Many, once they hear I'm moving from SOFLA want to know the story on WHY I'd want to move here of all places. My reply is, "you've obviously never visited Miami, or visited lately!" It's different here, and in good ways from what I've experienced.

I would definitely focus on finding a school that fits your sons needs first if that's the most important thing to you. My kids both went to the same all magnet school and my son was in IB. Just because it's a magnet school doesn't mean it's going to be in a nice area. I drove them to school each day (their entire lives actually) as the school was not remotely close to our home. If they don't have an all magnet school here, I'm sure they have magnet programs in some of the high schools in the area, but again, know nothing about it, son graduated college and DD is graduating in May. Those days are OVER!!! YIPEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Once you find the school and investigate the area, then you can look for a home. I guess the home may depend on the school and if you drive your kids, so if there is no bus to the school with a magnet program, you'll have to find someway to get him there.

I've seen hundreds of homes and personally, I liked the Greer/Taylors area myself, but that's just me. Hopefully you know something about this area and have visited. I found looking at homes for so long also gave me the ability that when I finally bought here, I found my way around here a lot easier than I ever thought imaginable, thank goodness for that!

I too didn't want a home with a HOA and I too wanted land, I got both. BUT, I almost bought a home in a very nice neighborhood that did have a HOA, and it had just gone up on their HOA fees, a whopping $60 A YEAR! Don't totally dismiss some of the older homes with HOA, some don't even have fees and some have very little, I found in one area I looked, the HOA was optional! Down in SOFLA you can't find a HOA for $60 a month, much less a year.

If you are in no hurry to move, you can always do what I did and wait til the kids graduate HS - that was my intention, but it took a little bit longer and it didn't happen til they graduated college!!

From what I've seen in my travels, I'd agree with G-man about the Augusta Road area having the type of home you may like in maybe some of the settings you're looking for. I had specific needs/wants as well- I found I had to be flexible on some of those wants/needs.

Personally, I don't really care for the NYT - my OH sells it at work, but even then, I really have no interest, I'd much rather read the local news and watch the news on TV, again, that's just my personal preference, I like knowing what's going on in my community. When it comes to world news, the internet and World News Tonight does me just fine.

Best of luck in your move. I hope you'll find things as nice as I have in the short 5 weeks I've been here

Old 03-03-2010, 01:17 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
"middle of the road liberal" = oxymoron.

So which are you: "middle of the road" (independent) or "liberal" (progressive)? Can't have it both ways.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Let's be neighborly here folks!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:12 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
New Yorker here, who reads the NY Times......lived in Greenville a few years, went back to NYC but still own a home in Greenville. You are right to be scared about SC politics.....a lot of conservative people in the state and on this board....many of them Obama haters. Don't worry everyday someone is on here looking for information about moving from north to south. Pretty soon just like what happened in Atlanta we will change things in SC....the good 'ole boy southern politics will soon find that we have moved into their state and will outnumber them. As I type this it is already happening....the last time I was in Greenville for a visit Mauldin was beginning to show signs of fast growth (traffic all over Butler Road).

As far as schools....Mauldin HS is highly rated....so highly rated that when I lived there I heard that they were overcrowded with students!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 03-03-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 PM

No one wants to see the end of "good ole boy" politics more than those of use who love this region. We want this area to continue to enjoy the outside influences that have helped us become a healthy, growing area. As far as many of us are concerned, the more the merrier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area