Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 10:36 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,123,116 times

Advertisements

Noticed a new place when I was on Augusta called Chick Salad...looks like a chicken salad concept? Not my cup of tea, per se, but does appear to be something new.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:54 PM

1,997 posts, read 4,583,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Noticed a new place when I was on Augusta called Chick Salad...looks like a chicken salad concept? Not my cup of tea, per se, but does appear to be something new.
This is Chicken Salad Chick - a small Southeast chain originally out of Auburn, AL.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,123,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I saw this the other day and forgot about it. I lol'd after having read the reviews left on this forum. I did notice however, that the sign says Stax still owns Epic Curean so they knew there was a problem. Anybody eaten there yet?
Was at the Epic Curean for breakfast a few weeks ago. First time there. Had tried to go there with friends a couple times for mid-day lunch in the past and they were (oddly) closed during the day both times. Had just forgotten about it until someone suggested it for breakfast. Not a big breakfast person, but figured I'd finally get to try it and it actually be open. Have to say, loved it as everyone else in our party of about a dozen did as well. Had the Gyro Omlette.

Fast forward to tonight. Didn't know where the heck we wanted to go to eat, or what to eat. Finally found ourselves on Woodruff after 8pm. Didn't want to go to any of the chain restaurants and remembered the breakfast was good at the EC and decided to go for dinner. Didn't know if they were even open at that time (didn't remember if I even saw that they had a dinner menu when we were there). Though we only saw a few cars, they were open, so we went in.

Very few customers in the restaurant, especially for a Saturday night. Our young waitress was extremely pleasant and the service was good. Granted, there weren't many people, but if there had been, it would have been well staffed, as we saw the other wait staff there.

My bf ordered what I had for breakfast previously, which he enjoyed (he had tasted mine before when we went). I had pot roast, which surprisingly for me, was made with pork roast instead of beef (maybe something regional?) The pork was extremely tender, came with garlic mashed potatoes which didn't seem mashed since they were so smooth, a side salad, and a garlic roll, though I was offered a piece of cornbread instead. The waitress brought out both roll and cornbread.

The gentleman who greeted us, and seated us, was prominently there. He went to all tables and spoke to the customers. He came to us as well and asked us how we enjoyed the meal. Having been in the restaurant business in the past and knowing what a hard business it is, when you ask me how I liked the meal, I'm going to be honest and frank. Anything less does not help a business owner, but in time, hurts them. Without someone telling you there's something wrong, you can't fix it, and you wonder why people don't return...

My bf and I both thought while the pork in my dish was extremely tender and tasty, the gravy on the meat was overly salty, as were the potatoes, and we told him. Now, what I may think is salty, someone else may think it's not. Tastes are as individual as people. I may be sensitive to salt, you may not be. It could be a matter of opinion, or taste. Loved the cornbread and it's somewhat crispy top. Really didn't care for the roll, but I'm not a big bread person usually, and was happier to eat the cornbread.

He sat down and spoke to us, actually what appeared to be quite frankly, openly and honestly. We learned the place is under new ownership (didn't ask since when, so don't know if anyone asks) and that he is looking in to the future on changing things in this restaurant. It's not affiliated with Stax and will be changing the name (and said he'd be having a contest to find a new name - not sure how that will happen or be done) You can see, this man really cares about this restaurant and he's not only open to suggestions, but wants the feedback from his customers, whether they be good, or bad.

My purpose in this post, on this thread is that while it's not exactly a new business, it is under new ownership and seems that he wants to head it in a new direction. He said he knows that there are unfavorable reviews of this business before purchasing it and that he's looking forward to turning those around.

So, if you are so inclined to go try this place, whether you have a good experience, or a not so good experience, he really truly wants to hear your feedback. It would be nice to have a place on Woodruff Rd to go to that's not a chain, that has a varied menu, that's locally owned, with an owner that seems to want to give his customer a reason to come back again and again. The consistency and taste of the food, along with good service is what will keep people coming back.

I forgot to mention the blue cheese dressing as being a little bland, and a somewhat thin (items on the side salad were just fine). I'll let someone else possibly give him that feedback if they think the same about blue cheese dressing. Hopefully, I'll find that changed when I go back in the future. I'll give it another try soon. Definitely will be back there for breakfast, or possibly lunch.

Disclaimer: NO, I have nothing to do with this restaurant, or anyone who works there. Just went tonight, and this was my experience. Just my 2 cents, and my humble opinion.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,743,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Saw QT in Mauldin had several cars parked outside the store tonight as I drove by. Gas sign wasn't lit up and the pumps were roped off. Maybe they're training the employees? Look for this to open soon!
They have been tantalizing people for a while - once there were vehicles at 5 of the pump positions. But it was roped off and no gas sign or prices.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 AM

21,004 posts, read 27,016,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I heard today that Kohl's is going into the old K-Mart location on Wade Hampton Blvd. Anyone else heard that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
The old Kmart near Wade Hampton High or the old Kmart in Greer?

I know they have a store planned for the old Kmart in Greer but it has been stalled forever. Wonder if they have switched to the Greenville Kmart building because it certainly is larger and I believe Kohls planned a store on the old Kevin Whitaker site next to Cherrydale about 7 years ago but the rezoning didn't happen at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Actually drove by the old Kmart near Pleasantburg tonight and noticed they are refurbishing the beams on the outside of the store, as if to start refurbishing part of the center, but no indication from what I can see that there was anything else happening of the old Kmart from my quick look as I passed by there, not to say there wasn't. But they are doing something...
Kohl's locating in the old Kmart at Piedmont Marketplace on West Wade Hampton Boulevard in Greer is a slow process. Kohl's locating in the old Kmart on Wade Hampton Boulevard in Greenville is new to me. It is not a bad location, but I think Kohl's would benefit locating closer in the Cherrydale area, which is where they should locate.

Refurbishment of the old Kmart on Wade Hampton Boulevard is necessary. Making it look better will attract interest. Is any refurbishment taking place at the old Kmart on Sulphur Springs Road?

Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,731,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
The old Kmart near Wade Hampton High or the old Kmart in Greer?

I know they have a store planned for the old Kmart in Greer but it has been stalled forever. Wonder if they have switched to the Greenville Kmart building because it certainly is larger and I believe Kohls planned a store on the old Kevin Whitaker site next to Cherrydale about 7 years ago but the rezoning didn't happen at the time.
I confirmed today the rumor is about the Kmart near WHHS. I already knew about the one coming (I will believe it will I see it.) coming to Greer. The old Kmart location near WHHS would be a great location for something like Kohls. On one of the the busiest roads (yet easy to get to and plenty of parking) in the Upstate near a lot of residential activity. Both of both worlds.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:04 PM

672 posts, read 1,411,417 times
Simpsonville IHOP parking lot was full this weekend. I don't know if they are officially opened, or if this was a soft open, but pancakes are coming to Fairview Rd!

Old 08-18-2013, 04:23 PM

55 posts, read 88,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
Simpsonville IHOP parking lot was full this weekend. I don't know if they are officially opened, or if this was a soft open, but pancakes are coming to Fairview Rd!
We have been watching it being built over the last month. Excited to stay away from Woodruff Road IHOP and now have one near us in Simpsonville.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 PM

9 posts, read 14,912 times
I see the Ace is open behind IHOP is open as well. Need to check them both out..

Old 08-18-2013, 09:47 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,002,939 times
We picked up propane at the new Ace Hardware behind the IHOP on Fairview Road. It looks like a great store. I believe the person who helped us was the owner. He was very nice. It is going to be nice to have a hardware store close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area