Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 02:32 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I think Ingles would be the perfect target for Kroger. Ingles layouts remind me of Kroger stores in TN and they could easily be rebranded. It would fill in the Western Carolinas for Kroger where they have no stores and few HT stores. It will be interesting to see which brand ( Kroger or HT) they stick with in SC. ( Kroger stores in Myrtle Beach, HT in Charleston and a Kroger Marketplace being currently constructed on Hilton Head Island)

Knight: Food Lion actually moved from Crosscreek in Greenwood to the first Walmart Shopping center on SC-72. It was for a very short time because Walmart vacated that practically new shopping center and built a Supercenter on the opposite side of the mall /FL closed that store shortly after Walmart moved and landed across the road in the Foodmax buiding where it is today. Ollies is currently in the old FL and Newspring is in the old Walmart at Greenwood Plaza. Construction should be starting any day now on the on the Publix SC72 store across from the Walmart Supercenter. I saw where bids were being accepted for construction of Publix Pavilion shopping center
vistatiger, I frequented Greenwood in the early 2000s. I do recall three Food Lion stores being behind Greenwood Mall, the SC-72 bypass and South Edgefield Street. I know for fact Food Lion behind the mall closed between 2004 to 2006.

Publix coming to Greenwood is a major announcement. I am sure more stores across the upstate, specifically Greer, will be announced when the Charlotte Division finds more sites for stores in the Carolinas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm not sure if the Food Lion stores in our areas (especially the ones that took over Bloom) are large enough for Kroger's needs. The former Bloom's averaged around 38,000 sq. ft.; Krogers average around 61,000 sq. ft. in size, which they consider a "Neighborhood Store". Kroger's also has it's new Marketplace concept superstores that can be as large as 133,000 sq. ft.

The Super Bi-Lo Stores in our area may be a better fit in terms of square footage for a Kroger takeover. (The newer Simpsonville store on Hwy 14 is 63,000 sq ft).
I do not see former Food Lion stores filling the needs of Kroger or Ingle's. They are too small and did not have pharmacy departments. I think Walmart Neighborhood Market could work.

Ingle's are very similar to Kroger stores. Ingle's is like the third largest grocer in the Atlanta market in terms of traditional grocers behind Publix and Kroger.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 08-26-2013 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,383 times
Coming down Main Street this morning there was an 18 wheeler parked in front of NOMA Square and the truck was a Kilwin's truck. Ramp was down as well. So maybe Kilwin's is going up there?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 AM

170 posts, read 355,854 times
Yes they are and, tragically, that means their Salted Caramal ice cream will be that much closer to me. Maybe soon I will be able to walk to get a cone. YUM!

Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,810,780 times
Default Chicken Salad Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
This is Chicken Salad Chick - a small Southeast chain originally out of Auburn, AL.
Had lunch at this place with a friend on Wednesday. Interesting concept, and what I had was good (Fancy Nancy Chicken Salad was my pick). The place was jam packed and excruciatingly noisy. We could barely carry on a conversation, and I almost wished I had a hearing aid I could turn off.

Unless I could eat outside, I would likely not eat there again, but if I were going to be in the area (not close to me), I would consider getting take-out.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:25 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,383 times
At lunch at Papi's Tacos today. Decent food at decent prices. Gelato was good but not Luna Rosa quality. Enjoyed the atmosphere. No soda machine so a can Dr. Pepper is $1.25. Water is a buck.

I'll go back for sure.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:24 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
On the way home from Spartanburg along 29 I saw a sign that said Converse Deli West coming soon. It's next to the Cottage Rose place. I've never been to CD, but heard it was good?,,

Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Academy certainly has a history of refurbishing closed big boxes (Spartanburg, Woodruff Rd, Anderson) but those locations were not as old as that Kmart building. Don't see Ingles in that spot without totally new construction which doesn't seem to be happening. Other possibilities could be Ollies (they have stores in Spartanburg and Greenwood) and have yet to expand to Greenville or maybe a Big Lots relo from that small store nearby on N Pleasantburg.

Well I guessed it back in July. I saw a sign today that Ollies Bargain Outlets is going to be in part of the old Kmart in front of Wade Hampton High School. It looks like the building is being split into 2 or 3 units. I didn't see the rumored Kohls going there. That building with that auto center and garden shop doesn't fit Kohls style at all without a complete tear down.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:19 PM

66 posts, read 87,538 times
Did that restaurant that use to be in the strip mall to the side of the Publix on Pelham go out of business? I can't remember the name of it but it did a good business when it first opened in 2006 or so.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Well I guessed it back in July. I saw a sign today that Ollies Bargain Outlets is going to be in part of the old Kmart in front of Wade Hampton High School. It looks like the building is being split into 2 or 3 units. I didn't see the rumored Kohls going there. That building with that auto center and garden shop doesn't fit Kohls style at all without a complete tear down.
Ollie's Bargain Outlet will be located next to Citi Trends. The automatic sliding doors are giveaways to Ollie's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWatchMan96 View Post
Did that restaurant that use to be in the strip mall to the side of the Publix on Pelham go out of business? I can't remember the name of it but it did a good business when it first opened in 2006 or so.
Joy of Tokyo, if it is what you are referring to, relocated down Pelham Road closer to East North Street. It is between North Hills Auto Sales and an oil change service center.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:36 PM

66 posts, read 87,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Joy of Tokyo, if it is what you are referring to, relocated down Pelham Road closer to East North Street. It is between North Hills Auto Sales and an oil change service center.
Nah, it was an American food place, in the Pelham Commons center. I think Adams Bistro on the other side of the Publix parking lot looks similar to what this was. It was a smallish restaurant and a very loud place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area