Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:23 AM

12 posts, read 35,680 times

Advertisements

I am relocating my family from Pittsburgh, PA to Greenville, SC this summer. It will be my wife and I, my mother-in-law, our Boston Terrier, and two house cats. I work for Verizon Wireless and my wife is an elementary school teacher in the Pittsburgh Public School system.

We are looking to move to a surrounding area within 25 minutes of downtown Greenville and within 10-15 minutes of shopping. However, we do not wish to live "in" the shopping district. We have considered Easley, Traveler's Rest, Taylors, Greer, Simpsonville, Fountain Inn, Pelzer, etc. We like residing a little more rural and prefer a lot of around 1 acre. I am moving with Verizon Wireless. My wife will need to find a new elementary teaching job.

We are visiting at the end of March for about 3-4 days and plan to stay downtown at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We certainly have many questions and would welcome all feedback. What area do you prefer and why? Is anyone from the Pittsburgh area currently living in the Greenville region? Where should we focus our energy during our visit? Is there something we should absolutely spend time seeing or doing? Will my wife find it easy or difficult to find her teaching job? Can you recommend a trustworthy realtor?

We look forward to receiving your feedback. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:59 AM

169 posts, read 570,370 times
We moved here from Erie, PA in November of 07. We love it here. We live in Fountain Inn and are so glad we "landed" here. We are close to Fairview Road shopping, but far enough away to escape the craziness. Our subdivision has larger, wooded lots, and we like that. It is about 20 years old, and people take pride in their homes and yards. There are currently 3 houses for sale here. We wish we could purchase a larger one down the street, as our family grew since we moved here, and we love the neighborhood so much we don't want to leave. Feel free to ask or even PM me. We were where you are about 3 years ago and it can be overwhelming at times..Good Luck.....and welcome

Old 03-11-2010, 09:07 AM

5,589 posts, read 15,364,777 times
There are lots of "Burghians" in the Upstate. It may potentially be the most well represented city by transplants from another state here in Greenville.
Edit: Outside of Atlanta and Charlotte.

I recommend the Powdersville-Wren area in northern Anderson County. It has excellent access to Greenville and Easley, yet still feels slightly removed from the crowds traveling the retail corridors nearby.

Last edited by Skyliner; 03-11-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 10:38 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,534,628 times
I've heard we have one of the largest "expatriate" Steelers fan groups in the country in this area.

Welcome! I'm not sure about elementary school teaching employment, as due to the economy tax revenues are down, and you hear all the time how school districts are having to deal with less funding as a result. But, teachers move and retire all the time, so who knows? Of course, there are always private schools to check out as well. Best of luck!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 PM

511 posts, read 1,521,810 times
Default Welcome to SC

I have had good luck with the three families that moved from Eerie to here. They all picked Simpsonville but wanted to stay close to each other. I personally live in Easley and love it. It is convenient to everything. I agree with Skyliner, Powdersville is great but pricey to me. How much house do you need? What is your price range? If you don't want to answer publicly I understand, you can send me a dm.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAZEAZ View Post
We moved here from Erie, PA in November of 07. We love it here. We live in Fountain Inn and are so glad we "landed" here. We are close to Fairview Road shopping, but far enough away to escape the craziness. Our subdivision has larger, wooded lots, and we like that. It is about 20 years old, and people take pride in their homes and yards. There are currently 3 houses for sale here. We wish we could purchase a larger one down the street, as our family grew since we moved here, and we love the neighborhood so much we don't want to leave. Feel free to ask or even PM me. We were where you are about 3 years ago and it can be overwhelming at times..Good Luck.....and welcome
Thanks for your response WAZEAZ. We appreciate your feedback. My sister went to Gannon University in Erie around 1998-2000...no too familiar with the area, but been there a few times. I'm glad you've found your home in Fountain Inn. We plan to check out your area in addition to a few others here at the end of March. We are coming to visit March 26, 27, 28. 29. We think that Greenville city, Simpsonville, Mauldin, Taylors is just too much in the midst of everything. We're not so sure about Traveler's Rest so far to the north. We're definitely looking for at least 1 acre of property with the home purchase. What have you heard about Saddlehorn? Are you familiar? It's a new home community off Reedy Fork Rd to your west and south of the city with country/farmstyle homes between $200k and $300k. That will be one of the communities we will be checking out. Do you have other recommendations regarding Fountain Inn specifically in that same price range? Communities? Any other information you would like to offer, we would love to hear. Please post here or DM me at your convenience. Thanks again for your feedback.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
There are lots of "Burghians" in the Upstate. It may potentially be the most well represented city by transplants from another state here in Greenville.
Edit: Outside of Atlanta and Charlotte.

I recommend the Powdersville-Wren area in northern Anderson County. It has excellent access to Greenville and Easley, yet still feels slightly removed from the crowds traveling the retail corridors nearby.
Thank you for your reply Dr. Skyliner. Is it OK if I call you Dr. Skyliner? With all the entries I've read over the last month that you've posted in this forum, it just seems to fit. You've provided much insight to my wife and I. I have sent you a direct message in addition to this reply. Would you have the opportunity to reply with feedback? Regarding the Powdersville-Wren district, is there an assortment of homes typically available between 200k and 300k with at least 1 acre of land? Where and what is the closest shopping available? Thanks again for your feedback.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I've heard we have one of the largest "expatriate" Steelers fan groups in the country in this area.

Welcome! I'm not sure about elementary school teaching employment, as due to the economy tax revenues are down, and you hear all the time how school districts are having to deal with less funding as a result. But, teachers move and retire all the time, so who knows? Of course, there are always private schools to check out as well. Best of luck!
I appreciate your feedback UpstateBooster. Yes, we're a little concerned about my wife finding her elementary teaching job for the 2010-2011 school year beginning in August, but she has plenty to offer and is a very dedicated teacher. We will be sure to check out the private schools as well.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgriss View Post
I have had good luck with the three families that moved from Eerie to here. They all picked Simpsonville but wanted to stay close to each other. I personally live in Easley and love it. It is convenient to everything. I agree with Skyliner, Powdersville is great but pricey to me. How much house do you need? What is your price range? If you don't want to answer publicly I understand, you can send me a dm.
Thanks for your comments pgriss. We are looking for around .85-1.5 acres of land and a home purchase between 200k and 300k. I know it seems like a wide price range, but we have seen a sizable variance depending upon the location within Greenville County. What is the closest shopping to Easley? Where do you make your shopping excursions? We like things a little more country, but want to be within 25 minutes of downtown Greenville and within 10-15 minutes of necessary shopping and within 30 minutes of a variety of options. We think that Greenville city, Taylors, Mauldin, and Simpsonville might be too much congestion. We'll find out shortly as we expect to visit at the end of March. Any additional feedback you could provide is welcome.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:10 PM

745 posts, read 2,231,565 times
Travelers Rest is only 10 miles from the center of Greenville; not far at all. It definitely has a more rural feel, and is closer to the mountains. The best view in town is from the Wal-Mart parking lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area