Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 30,188 times

Advertisements

I saw a bumper sticker in Greenville,SC that said: Welcome to Greenville , Now leave !!!!!
Most people that move to Greenville love it and want to keep it a secret!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 05:01 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Why living in Greenville is so GREAT:

Old 07-30-2007, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,905 times
I think you'll love the area,as downtown has enough excitment with a safe hometown feel and every place has crime and offenders.However the areas church roots also add to the value of moral decisions made by others and it seems to balance out for the good more than the bad.There is also much going on in community involovment as many organizations are making an effort to clean up the few problems that do exsist.Greenville is also nestled enough in a central area that you can opt for short trips to wild atlanta or quite mountain hikes.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:58 PM

24 posts, read 102,619 times
Tony 1-2-3

Maybe you'll want to head for Orlando, then.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM

8 posts, read 24,731 times
We have lived in the South (Madison GA, Athens GA, Asheville NC, Fort Mill SC(Charlotte) since 1973 and are looking to move towards GSP area - Travelers Rest is looking particularly attractive right now.

Fort Mill is nice but what is happening over here is rampant growth with much much much clearcutting and home upon home on quarter acre lots and, with more roads (sprawl machines). Our tax increases max out every year - and I am not one of those who resents paying taxes for schools even though my kids are grown but ....... The people moving here work and shop in Charlotte NC, not SC and they are not bearing their part of the load. plus:

I am on a K9 Search and Rescue team based in Spartanburg and am finding myself driving to Spartanburg or Greenville multiple times a month; most of what I do is over that way anyway.

I telecommute so all I need is high quality internet. My husband is in sales and covers Greenville, Charlotte and Columbia and my Son in law will start teaching in Fountain Inn soon.

My parents (80s) just moved in with us as my mother had a stroke and we are fast outgrowing our "empty nester" home. We are looking for a community where we can all live in separate houses next to each other with good hospital access and where my SIL can commute. 3 houses close to each other, either on some acreage or in a new subdivision (so our backyards can be contiguious). I need decent access to Greenville, Spartanburg, and GSP.

Asthetics ARE important to us. I was unimpressed with Simpsonville and the area south of Greenville as I see the same thing happening there. Trees are very important to me as is being environmentally responsible. So we have a mix - young kids and parents, old folks, middle age folks. At least our mix will help with the tax burden since only one of the three families has kids and two is all they are having. ........... (Another frustration with Fort Mill is that it is a bedroom community for Charlotte as the schools are among the best in the state - so a LOT of people move here for the schools and are not a part of the community) We want to live somewhere where we have just that, Community and intellegent growth (since growth is inevitable)

Would love suggestions. We really are looking to have homes in the $200-$250K price range. Is that all realistic? Other "sleepers" out there?

Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,586 times
I know people who are misserable in greenville, but they would be misserable anywhere. It not where you are, its "who your with". Greenville is a great small town. Same problems a lot of small towns have anywhere in the US. We got everything here you need. Water sports, hunting, fishing, shops, restaurants. Ive been almost everywhere, and this is a good as it gets to me. But there again thats me. If your misserable where you are now, your probably going to misserable here. Its up to you if you like it or not.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:46 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
The key to Greenville is that you definitely come for a visit. No matter what information you receive online, none of that - no matter how true or false - will be able to replace the experience you receive when you visit this place in person. There is just no way possible to express the endearing charm through words and pictures alone.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:25 PM

51 posts, read 170,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
The key to Greenville is that you definitely come for a visit. No matter what information you receive online, none of that - no matter how true or false - will be able to replace the experience you receive when you visit this place in person. There is just no way possible to express the endearing charm through words and pictures alone.
Well, if that's the case, I can't even fathom how much better than your pictures Greenville can be! You have done such a great job in representing the area! We will be down there from Aug 18 - 21st. Not long, but hopefully long enough to confirm our perceptions. I'm so excited! My office is closing next June and have children in Tampa (don't want to live if FL) would like to be closer. We're in Massachusetts now. Hope I can look at this Winter as MY LAST!!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,747 times
I lived here 20 years ago. I moved up and down the east coast, but I always felt at hom in Greenville. I love the people here. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I think others are kidding, or they have never lived anywhere else. I moved back here last november to retire and I love it. I live alone and I feel very safe.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 PM

5 posts, read 21,069 times
OMG yes please don't......very very very hard to find a job and the schools (high and middle) suck! not to mention everything depends on what religion you are. ok, yes some parts are pretty. if you come from the north, forget it! everyone will hate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area