Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusDriver View Post
Haha. Have you been to NJ!? They have some of the highest tax rates in the nation, and some of the worst roads. SC roads aren't the best, but they're better than in Jersey.
Michigan is the worst I've ever seen.. I've hit potholes so big there that it felt like I'd been in an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:05 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
We moved from Raleigh; at first, when I would go back and visit I would miss it very much- there are a lot more trees, and a better selection of places to walk/hike without having to drive an hour. Of course I missed (and still miss!) my friends. However, I have absolutely fallen in love with Greenville- love the people, and the opportunity to get involved in so many different things- I know a lot more people here than I did after living in Raleigh for 16 years. Just have to accept the fact that I have to drive a bit to hike- but what hiking!
I drove thru Raleigh (and stopped to eat/get gas) on the way to the Outer Banks last summer. I haven't been to the Triangle in years. I was amazed at the growth. I vividly recall driving on the interstate near Raleigh and passing under what looked like a giant, new pedestrian bridge (honestly, I doubt that would ever happen in Greenville). Greenville touts the Swamp Rabbit Trail - it's great - but numerous other cities have much better/more extensive greenways - Raleigh's was planned in the 1970's.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I drove thru Raleigh (and stopped to eat/get gas) on the way to the Outer Banks last summer. I haven't been to the Triangle in years. I was amazed at the growth. I vividly recall driving on the interstate near Raleigh and passing under what looked like a giant, new pedestrian bridge (honestly, I doubt that would ever happen in Greenville). Greenville touts the Swamp Rabbit Trail - it's great - but numerous other cities have much better/more extensive greenways - Raleigh's was planned in the 1970's.
Yes- that pedestrian bridge comes from the trail at the Art Museum and goes over to Meredith College. Aw; now you're making me miss it again

Old 01-28-2016, 12:29 PM

446 posts, read 415,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I just want to say that I am impressed as how clean the downtown Greenville is.
I was there during the holiday, and I kept telling my family how I would literally lick the ground. It was so damn clean!

People are so very friendly and nice in general.
And everything is so cheap!
The only thing is that how there is not enough renowned retailers in the area. (I am a big time shopper).
But all the pros outweighs the cons.
Quote:
Yes; I have heard that about the shopping (I am a committed online shopper so don't care much about the brick and mortar stores). However, my friends who are like you make the short trip to Charlotte to get their fix.
I'm not really sure how much more retail Greenville really needs. If you're talking about downtown, that's a different story, but I prefer local shops to retail chains in our thriving downtown anyway. The list of national / regional retailers not in the area grows shorter and shorter every year between Woodruff Road and Haywood Mall.

Sure there could always be some more like Nordstrom, but honestly what else does this area really have a desperate need for? Nothing that I'm aware of. I actually think the retail/restaurant market here is quite impressive for the city's size.

I never find any need to go to Charlotte. Maybe Gaffney if I want outlets. Not a huge Ikea fan so that's no loss. I would like something like a Fry's here but they are extremely limited in terms of locations so wouldn't expect them to come to this market.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP69 View Post
I'm not really sure how much more retail Greenville really needs. If you're talking about downtown, that's a different story, but I prefer local shops to retail chains in our thriving downtown anyway. The list of national / regional retailers not in the area grows shorter and shorter every year between Woodruff Road and Haywood Mall.

Sure there could always be some more like Nordstrom, but honestly what else does this area really have a desperate need for? Nothing that I'm aware of. I actually think the retail/restaurant market here is quite impressive for the city's size.

I never find any need to go to Charlotte. Maybe Gaffney if I want outlets. Not a huge Ikea fan so that's no loss. I would like something like a Fry's here but they are extremely limited in terms of locations so wouldn't expect them to come to this market.
You're obviously a man . Some of my friends like the upscale shopping that we don't have much of here.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:37 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Walking on a pedestrian bridge over an interstate does not seem that appealing to me.

I consider golf courses to be greenways and Greenville has a lot of golf courses. I ride my bike a good bit on several different golf courses.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:41 PM

446 posts, read 415,179 times
Quote:
You're obviously a man . Some of my friends like the upscale shopping that we don't have much of here.
Yes, I am indeed a man. But at least to me, it seems like there's a good chunk of upscale stores (aside from larger ones like Nordstrom or Lord & Taylor) such as Talbot's, Black House White Market, Brooks Brothers, etc.

Maybe I'm naïve when it comes to that area of the retail sector.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:26 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Walking on a pedestrian bridge over an interstate does not seem that appealing to me.
Thought it was just me who failed to see the allure of that...

There's a pedestrian bridge in Asheville that goes over I-240 and leads into the housing project, and it's never been appealing to me either.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:06 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I just want to say that I am impressed as how clean the downtown Greenville is.
Downtown Greenville is a gem. It's the most "Main Street" Main Street. The downtown festivals are such a great time out of the house. Coming into downtown on Church Street is such an awesome view of the skyline too. Will be very interesting to see what itll look like in 10 years, and if anything will ever surpass the BB&T Tower in height.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Thought it was just me who failed to see the allure of that...

There's a pedestrian bridge in Asheville that goes over I-240 and leads into the housing project, and it's never been appealing to me either.
It's not the walking on it so much; it's beautiful to look at when you are driving, and it connects the trail from the Art Muesum to Meredith College amd the greenway there. It's just that Raleigh has a tremendous network of greenway trails; I was surprised that there is only one here. On the other hand, we really enjoy Lake Connestee, which is about 8 minutes from my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area