Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan2007 View Post
Is it perfect? No, we have a neighbor with barking dogs that we don't like, but they try to keep them quiet.

Susan, thank you. The reason I quoted that sentence is that you touched upon a major concern of mine. I've mentioned it before on city-data. I've rented a dumpy apartment for many years, even when I could afford a house. Why? Because it's very, very quiet. I had trouble with barking a few years ago, but the people moved. I am almost paralyzed with fear since I have chronic insomnia & saying I'm just a "light sleeper" would be the understatement of the year. Being dead tired has cost me jobs and it's also not safe to drive without any sleep. The worst annoyance I've experienced in homes is a barking dog. I can hide in the closet, close all the windows, put my pillow over my head, but if dogs are outside barking at night and I hear them, I'll go crazy. The only noise I want to be woken up to in the morning is my alarm clock. Birds or the falling rain is also nice. I grew up in a house in the suburbs and my Mom always opened the windows on a nice night so we could get fresh air. Those were the days before central air conditioning. I don't ever remember hearing a neighbor's dog bark and everyone had dogs, including my family. Maybe it depends on how considerate people are, but I'd hate to buy a house and start fighting with my neighbors. Maybe that's where an HOA comes in handy, although I agree with you about "cookie cutter" communities.

BTW, you are one of many who tell me Greenville has been their choice over Columbia. I only keep looking at Irmo because some of the homes look really pretty and they're inexpensive. Plus Columbia might have more job opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 01:40 PM

94 posts, read 377,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Susan, thank you. The reason I quoted that sentence is that you touched upon a major concern of mine. I've mentioned it before on city-data. I've rented a dumpy apartment for many years, even when I could afford a house. Why? Because it's very, very quiet. I had trouble with barking a few years ago, but the people moved. I am almost paralyzed with fear since I have chronic insomnia & saying I'm just a "light sleeper" would be the understatement of the year. Being dead tired has cost me jobs and it's also not safe to drive without any sleep. The worst annoyance I've experienced in homes is a barking dog. I can hide in the closet, close all the windows, put my pillow over my head, but if dogs are outside barking at night and I hear them, I'll go crazy. The only noise I want to be woken up to in the morning is my alarm clock. Birds or the falling rain is also nice. I grew up in a house in the suburbs and my Mom always opened the windows on a nice night so we could get fresh air. Those were the days before central air conditioning. I don't ever remember hearing a neighbor's dog bark and everyone had dogs, including my family. Maybe it depends on how considerate people are, but I'd hate to buy a house and start fighting with my neighbors. Maybe that's where an HOA comes in handy, although I agree with you about "cookie cutter" communities.

BTW, you are one of many who tell me Greenville has been their choice over Columbia. I only keep looking at Irmo because some of the homes look really pretty and they're inexpensive. Plus Columbia might have more job opportunities.
Nancy, I understand how you feel. I'm a heavy sleeper so it doesn't bother me, but the biggest times when they bark are if someone walks by, the other times they are quiet. But if it was an important issue, I would not consider buying. Plus, I'm hoping they will get rid of the dogs, they won't live forever and we like our neighbors.

I have had friends who live in the Irmo area, and the houses are less expensive. I don't particularly care for that area because of the congestion, especially trying to get in and out of the Harbison area. However, once again, it's what you seek and there are some very nice areas there.

Columbia will likely have more work opportunities for you as it's the Capital City. I can't recall what you do for a living, but I do recall someone saying that Greenville is now the economic leader in our state. I know there seem to be businesses relocating here all the time.

Good luck on your search. I'm partial to South Carolina and though I have lived throughout the entire country I can't think of anywhere I'd rather live!

Susan

Old 10-30-2007, 01:53 PM

When people here use the word "rural" I assume they mean one has to drive for miles before seeing a nice shopping center. I don't even like to shop & I rarely dine out, but I'm used to having stores within walking distance like a 7-11 around the corner and a Walgreen's, Publix, Ace Hardware and several restaurants within a mile. Actually, I wonder how they can compete, especially during the off-season, but wherever there's a Walgreen's on one corner, there's a CVS on the opposite corner. If there's a Publix in one strip, there's an Albertson's across the road or at the next intersection.

Sorry for blabbing, but what I am trying to ask is if these towns (Duncan, Lyman, Inman) have a distinct border. I mean, when I drive from Naples to Bonita to Estero, to Fort Myers...the only way I know I've left one city for another is that I am familiar with the area. When I moved here I could tell by the cows. Now the cows are condos and businesses. Guess they've all moo-ved.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:46 PM

69 posts, read 322,325 times
There is no walgreens in Lyman. Just one CVS and they close absurdly early.

I have lived in Lyman several times and Wellford. I would not live there if I could help it.
Go with Greer or Moore.
I live closer to Moore now and I really like it, there is access to a lot of stuff via the westside of Spartanburg.

Lyman has a burger king a hardees a dominoes and pizza hut. that's it. There are a few meat and three type places, a pizza place, a food lion, bi-los, a dollar store, a florist and that's about it.
Oh and of course the strip club and the hardware store.

There are also issues with the police in the Lyman/Wellford/Duncan area. They will pull anyone over for anything. These towns make their money on traffic tickets and are notoriously corrupt.

Oh and there are no services, as in you take your own trash to the dump and if you need the police at night, you get a nice 30 minute wait for the county police to show up.

If you live inthe Lyman area you have to drive everywhere. Need to run to Target? It's a 15-30 drive, depending on traffic to Spartanburg or Greer. Wanna see a movie? 30 minute trip down the highway or interstate to Greenville or Spartanburg.
Although if you go to the movies at night in Spartanburg it's at-your-own-risk.
Need a new top? 20-45 minutes to the mall in Gvile or Spartanburg. etc etc etc.

Now if you like living a small town, where everything starts closing at 7 pm and by 10 the only thing left open is the strip club and the burger king/gas station combo, then Lyman is the place for you, just drive slowly.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:27 PM

Thank you for your post ILMK. I'll consider what you wrote, since I don't enjoy being stuck out in the boonies, although I like peace & quiet too. Maybe Traveler's Rest would be a beter choice. I was told by someone who lives in the Upstate area that Greer has a very high crime rate & is much more dangerous than towns like Easley or Simpsonville, because Greer was my first choice when I began thinking about moving to the Greenville area. It's so convenient to both Greenville & Spartanburg.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:04 PM

69 posts, read 322,325 times
I lived in Greer for 28 years and never experienced any crime at all. Now, Spartanburg, they have some crime. I'm scared/more alert there, but never in Greer.

I wouldn't really call Lyman the boonies, but it's not my ideal place to live.

I would choose Greenville or Greer. Greenville has worse traffic, but also has more to do.

The 1 thing that would keep me from moving back to Greer is the monopoly power co there and their outrageous charges. $500+ for gas one winter month a few years back and $250 a month for power, in months where the air and heat were off.

Our power bill dropped about 150$ a month when we left Greer.

Greer is also getting an urban village and supposedly getting a movie theater soon.

My ideal home would be just north of Greer, the most amazing mountain views, and a hop skip and jump from highway 29 which runs from Greenville to Spartanburg.
Or Pelham, jus tsouth of Greer and one exit away from Greenville, 3 exits from Spartanburg.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:29 AM

Default Utilities

This is good to know. I spend about $57 a month for electricity. Sometimes I'll spend as much as $70, but we rarely use heat here. I need to consider everything if I'm going to move. I was looking at the cost of living in Greenville as being a big motivator, but it looks as if I'll be spending a lot more than I estimated.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:21 PM

94 posts, read 377,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMK View Post
I lived in Greer for 28 years and never experienced any crime at all. Now, Spartanburg, they have some crime. I'm scared/more alert there, but never in Greer.

I wouldn't really call Lyman the boonies, but it's not my ideal place to live.

I would choose Greenville or Greer. Greenville has worse traffic, but also has more to do.

The 1 thing that would keep me from moving back to Greer is the monopoly power co there and their outrageous charges. $500+ for gas one winter month a few years back and $250 a month for power, in months where the air and heat were off.

Our power bill dropped about 150$ a month when we left Greer.

Greer is also getting an urban village and supposedly getting a movie theater soon.

My ideal home would be just north of Greer, the most amazing mountain views, and a hop skip and jump from highway 29 which runs from Greenville to Spartanburg.
Or Pelham, jus tsouth of Greer and one exit away from Greenville, 3 exits from Spartanburg.
You've pretty much described the area I live in, and that is why we love it.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:03 PM

20 posts, read 57,681 times
The Duncan area is great. It is convienient to Spartanburg and Greenville. You can find almost any pricerange neighborhood there. Lake Cooley and Lake Lyman are beautiful with subdivisions all around on the water and waterviews only. I would consider this one of the best places to locate in the upstate.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
There's a great B&B in Lyman called the Walnut Inn. They have a website. Great place to stay while you're househunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area