Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 AM

24 posts, read 75,403 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone has any insight on black bears in the Pickens/Table rock area. I've been told that there are a lot of bear, fox and bobcats. We are looking to possibly relocate to that area but we have dogs and are looking to raise chickens and goats also, and I would be afraid that they wouldn't be safe if there is that much wild life. ANY input would be greatly appreciated. We just love the beauty of the area but I don't want to have to worry about my animals all the time. Thanks in advance to all responses!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:42 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,487 times
I'm no expert, but I would think there is a possibility of bears and other wildlife you mentioned in pretty much any rural part of the upstate.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Hi all! Just wondering if anyone has any insight on black bears in the Pickens/Table rock area.
I have seen bears and foxes while hiking in the Table Rock / Caesar's Head-Jones Gap area. I think wildlife can coexist as long as they have enough of their own space. If humans invade their territory and cut down on their natural food supply, and train them to eat garbage, there are more problems.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanks to all that have responded so far. I really had no idea that Pickens had that many bears. Now I'm thinking we might be looking in the wrong place. It is just so beautiful there, but I don't want to be constantly looking over my shoulder to see what might be approaching. Yikes!!!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:54 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,487 times
I was working in an area in Northern Michigan, right in the middle of state forest and talked to a resident about bears. She told me she had lived there in the middle of deep woods for 20 years and had only recently seen a bear for the very first time. They will avoid you if at all possible.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
A year or two ago, IIRC, a black bear was sighted at or near The Shops at Greenridge between Woodruff Rd and I-385 in the wee hours of the morning. And there have recently been sightings of coyotes in the Upstate.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:38 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Thanks to all that have responded so far. I really had no idea that Pickens had that many bears. Now I'm thinking we might be looking in the wrong place. It is just so beautiful there, but I don't want to be constantly looking over my shoulder to see what might be approaching. Yikes!!!
The Black Bears around here aren't dangerous to humans unless you accidentally find yourself between a mama and its cubs. The ones I have seen all flee at the first hint of a human. They also usually don't bother pets.

Coyotes are a different story around here - they are close to some outlying neighborhoods, and can go rogue on pets:

Coyotes Attacking, Killing Pets In Upstate - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/22811098/detail.html - broken link)

Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,528 times
A friend of mine lives up that way and he has dogs and horses. He hasn't had a problem but that's not to say that it wouldn't happen.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:37 PM

84 posts, read 203,020 times
We live in a rural area and had a bear pass our truck on the way home. We have animals and they have never bothered them.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:08 AM

Does anyone think that the bears and coyotes would be a bit more scarce in the Tryon/Columbus area or would it all be pretty much the same? What a sad story with the couple that lost their 15 year old dog to a coyote. I would be horrified if that were to happen to one of my animals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area