Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times

Advertisements

It is hard for me to believe someone can live in the south and never know a racist.

I am going to add that my family has been in the south since the 1640s - and maybe before if you count the tincture of Cherokee blood, so I am not some "yankee".

Now, I have other family up north and their racism is a lot scarier than the racism I see down here.

Either way it is wrong ......

Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
It is hard for me to believe someone can live in the south and never know a racist.

I am going to add that my family has been in the south since the 1640s - and maybe before if you count the tincture of Cherokee blood, so I am not some "yankee".

Now, I have other family up north and their racism is a lot scarier than the racism I see down here.

Either way it is wrong ......
I've lived in Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama (grew up there), so I HAVE seen evidence of racism in the South (some even among my older relatives back in the day). What I'm saying is I've personally seen no outward evidence of it here. But then again, I don't go looking for it, either. But, in many ways, living in Greenville is very unlike living in much of the rest of the South.

To a person, everyone I've gotten to know here has a "live and let live" attitude, even the very religious ones.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:43 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I've lived in Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama (grew up there), so I HAVE seen evidence of racism in the South (some even among my older relatives back in the day). What I'm saying is I've personally seen no outward evidence of it here. But then again, I don't go looking for it, either. But, in many ways, living in Greenville is very unlike living in much of the rest of the South.

To a person, everyone I've gotten to know here has a "live and let live" attitude, even the very religious ones.
Yes, to be fair, I have found many people like that ("live and let live") here. They are a mix of transplants and lifelong locals. However, I work with some people that hate Northerners and are outwardly racist. I can control who I am friends with, but not who I work with (at least not right now).

Old 03-22-2010, 01:05 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Upstate - as a gay - surely you know about Seans Last Wish? A foundation to spread tolerance for the LGBT community after the brutal slaying of a gay man [whose killer is now out of jail] in Greenville a few years ago..............not a lot of difference between racism and gay-bashing.

Sean's Last Wish Home Page

I don't think Greenville is all that different. I believe hatred and intolerance are everywhere.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Upstate - as a gay - surely you know about Seans Last Wish? A foundation to spread tolerance for the LGBT community after the brutal slaying of a gay man [whose killer is now out of jail] in Greenville a few years ago..............not a lot of difference between racism and gay-bashing.

Sean's Last Wish Home Page

I don't think Greenville is all that different. I believe hatred and intolerance are everywhere.
I tend to be a "glass half full" person, and until I see actual evidence of this locally, I'm snug as a bug in a rug personally. I do remember that happening, and also remember the support his mother received at more than one (I believe) candle light vigil.

I'm not naive enough to believe there's no hate anywhere - you can't change human nature. My whole point is that Greenville is an exceedingly civil place, in my experience.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:49 PM

60 posts, read 132,210 times
Default I would argue that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I tend to be a "glass half full" person, and until I see actual evidence of this locally, I'm snug as a bug in a rug personally. I do remember that happening, and also remember the support his mother received at more than one (I believe) candle light vigil.

I'm not naive enough to believe there's no hate anywhere - you can't change human nature. My whole point is that Greenville is an exceedingly civil place, in my experience.
...the Greenville Republican party as well as the state Republican party aligning themselves with the tea Moderator cut: inappropriate in itself is "actual evidence of this locally".

Last edited by Keeper; 03-22-2010 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 01:50 PM

921 posts, read 1,131,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazboggs View Post
Tea Party's racists get caught | Midwest Voices

Unbelievable - spewing hatred. Using racial and homophobic slurs. This is who the SC Republican party has chosen to align itself with? Why?
That's the exact thing that's causing them to loose a lot of votes.
It makes the Republican party look more & more idiotic when they stand by & chant with the Tea Party supporters.

Their ego ingredient to the tea party is just the ingredient the Democrats need to lead them to more victories.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazboggs View Post
...the Greenville Republican party as well as the state Republican party aligning themselves with the teabaggers in itself is "actual evidence of this locally".
There's NO proof that they agree with a few loonies on the fringe of either group. Democrats have just as many and just as loony fringe elements, so I'm not sure why you would think that's any better.

The Tea Party Movement is all about fiscal responsibility, personal freedom and the rule of law, and has nothing to do with ethnic or sexual orientation - that's what's so refreshing about it. Do you honestly think a few crazies speak for an entire segment of the population?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:15 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Thread is closed.. If you want to discuss te Tea Party movement you can do so in the Politics and Other Controversies forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area