Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:39 PM

12 posts, read 18,319 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I visited Greenville and the surrounding areas last week, and I though I would give you with some of my thoughts. I was only able to stay for about 24 hours, so please take my thoughts with that in mind. In no order...

Downtown: Very impressive. You should be proud of that area.

Church: Yep, tons of them. Go or get over it.

Traffic: A bit more than expected. It felt more like big city traffic to me on a Tuesday.

Attitude: Everyone was friendly. I visited grocery stores, a liquor store, hotel, and restaurant.

Outer communities: I visited Simpsonville, Travelers Rest, and Easly. I wasn't impressed with them. Maybe I missed something, but they didn't give me a reason to move to the areas. My visits were quick.

Racism: I noticed one confederate flag and didn't speak to anyone who gave me the impression of being racist. I'm sure it exists, but it wasn't as if the 'ol south was running the show.

Rednecks: Visit Daytona Beach. That's were the rednecks live.

Overall: I need to visit again. A day wasn't enough time to decide if I want to live in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,172 times
What would it take to impress you in your visits to Simpsonville, TR and Easley?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
What would it take to impress you in your visits to Simpsonville, TR and Easley?
Or perhaps rather, what do you look for in a suburb? How different can one be from another? All 3 at have at least a small semblance of their own downtowns as well as sections of charming older homes, along with the standard suburban-type developments.

Glad you enjoyed your short trip for the most part. Any questions, let us know!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:59 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadfin View Post
Outer communities: I visited Simpsonville, Travelers Rest, and Easly. I wasn't impressed with them. Maybe I missed something, but they didn't give me a reason to move to the areas. My visits were quick.
Ya know, the places I thought I wanted to live before I moved to G'Ville totally changed once I was there awhile. I would recommend renting for a bit first till you get your bearings and can spend more time in the many different communities surrounding Greenville.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 AM

183 posts, read 500,791 times
Quote:
A day wasn't enough time to decide if I want to live in the area.
...or to provide the ambitious review you attempted, but thanks for your thoughts.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 18,319 times
ruvidu and Upstate- I guess that I'm looking for an older community that is unique, or a newer community with all of the modern suburban ammenites (lots of restaurants, shopping, big box stores). I didn't see that in the communities I visited.

rapunzll- Yes, I would definitly rent for a year or so before making a home purchase decision. I would need to do lots of research before making that decision.

LeavingNJ- If you feel something I have written isn't accurate please feel free to comment. I'm here to learn!

I very much did enjoy my visit. I came into town via Asheville (Highway 25?) and the drive was incredible.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:12 AM

183 posts, read 500,791 times
Don't be offended, but it's not so much about the accuracy or lack of it as it is the presumption to even comment on things like peoples' general attitudes, the level of racism, the presence of rednecks, etc. after a 24 -hour visit that couldn't allow more than a cursory drive-through of all those areas. You're talking about a large area that is home to over a half-million people.

In any event, you should definitely visit again for at least a week in order to research some of the areas surrounding Greenville. Given your response to ruvidu, you definitely missed quite a bit. There are many areas in Simpsonville, Greer, and elsewhere that would satisfy your desires quite well, IMO. Next time perhaps you can work with someone local who can point you in the right direction.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
Less big box stores, check cashing places, sprawl, etc maybe.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
ruvidu and Upstate- I guess that I'm looking for an older community that is unique, or a newer community with all of the modern suburban ammenites (lots of restaurants, shopping, big box stores). I didn't see that in the communities I visited.

rapunzll- Yes, I would definitly rent for a year or so before making a home purchase decision. I would need to do lots of research before making that decision.

LeavingNJ- If you feel something I have written isn't accurate please feel free to comment. I'm here to learn!

I very much did enjoy my visit. I came into town via Asheville (Highway 25?) and the drive was incredible.
Simpsonville actually covers quite a wide area. Between the businesses on Main St heading into town from I-385, and everything on/near Fairview Rd (Kohl's, Home Depot, Target, banks, restaurants, grocery stores, etc), Simpsonville definitely offers all the amenities. It also has some really nice older, established neighborhoods and its own downtown with shops and restaurants. I believe that the Five Forks area on Woodruff Rd is also considered part of Simpsonville, with its own set of conveniences. Oh! Almost forgot - Simpsonville is home to the region's only IMAX theater.

Definitely come back for another, longer stay, and take a look at some of the things you may have missed. Most folks who do, end up moving here (the Greenville/Upstate area in general, not necessarily Simpsonville specifically)!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:03 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Less big box stores, check cashing places, sprawl, etc maybe.
Sprawl? In TR??

Well, The TR Wal-Mart parking lot does have one of the most scenic views in the upstate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area