Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 AM

16 posts, read 32,892 times

Advertisements

My dh may be accepting a job in Clinton, SC. We have lived in the Indianapolis area with our children (7, 2) most of our adult life. We are considering living in Clinton as I will be a SAHM when we move. But we also are considering other options to have the amenities of a bigger city. However, we don't want more than 30-45 min. commute for dh. Schools are important. And we really don't want to live in a vinyl box. I grew up in a small town and am not opposed to living in Clinton or Laurens. DH however is a little more private and has always lived in a large city. I would love to hear what suggestions anyone has. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 AM

9 posts, read 26,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgk1965 View Post
My dh may be accepting a job in Clinton, SC. We have lived in the Indianapolis area with our children (7, 2) most of our adult life. We are considering living in Clinton as I will be a SAHM when we move. But we also are considering other options to have the amenities of a bigger city. However, we don't want more than 30-45 min. commute for dh. Schools are important. And we really don't want to live in a vinyl box. I grew up in a small town and am not opposed to living in Clinton or Laurens. DH however is a little more private and has always lived in a large city. I would love to hear what suggestions anyone has. Thanks!
Both Spartanburg and Greenville are within your commute time. I went to PC and Clinton is a very nice town but it is very small. It is basically a typical college town. If your DH is looking for a larger city with a relatively short commute then take a look at both Greenville and Spartanburg.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:58 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,516 times
You may want to look into Newberry sc. It is a short comute to Clinton, and a Quick hop to Columbia for the amenities of a City (Greenville is really a Big Town ,as opposed to a Small City) Compared to Indi, Columbia will have more along the lines of what you are used to having. Irmo is another option,just outside Columbia, but a longer Daily Drive. Clinton is a cute little town,and about an hour to Columbia. So you need to decide how much you need the amenities of the city, Shopping,dining etc. vs the daily drives.
We moved to Greenville from the city,thinking it was cute. Then we discovered that we have to drive to Atlanta or Charlotte to even get a Hair cut,or to go Shopping for what we want.It takes a little(ok , A lot) more planning.
Best of Luck!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 9,112 times
I also graduated from Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC. I would not want to live there. Simpsonville is close and has a lot more to offer and better schools.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
You may want to look into Newberry sc. It is a short comute to Clinton, and a Quick hop to Columbia for the amenities of a City (Greenville is really a Big Town ,as opposed to a Small City) Compared to Indi, Columbia will have more along the lines of what you are used to having.
Thanks for the insight, southerngentleman, I'll look into Newberry.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 13,255 times
Default Moving to Clinton

Quote:
I have been in Clinton for 8 years and it is a great place for children, much better than Laurens. My 13 child rode her bike to school, we could walk to church. AND there is a college right in the middle of the city for all kinds of events. Plus Greenville is only 45 minutes away. So you have safety, lower taxes, friendlier environment and more. PLUS I have to move back to take care of my mother, so I am selling my house. It is in the best section of Cliinton E mail me if you are interested; [EMAIL="Jford@presby.edu"]Jford@presby.edu[/EMAIL]

Old 03-06-2008, 08:40 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Simpsonville would easily be my first recommendation. You would not have a long or difficult commute down I-385 and you would have much better amenities for your entire family than you will find in Clinton.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:05 PM

Does Simpsonville have any established or older neighborhoods or are they are new subdivisions? Is there an urban feel to it or is it truly suburbia?

Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 PM

6 posts, read 12,616 times
Quote:

I moved to Clinton 2 years ago, I tell everyone it's between Mayberry and Hooterville on the highway to happiness <grin>. I love it here. I have traveled the world (US Navy 21 years), lived many places in the States and I believe Devine Intervention led me here and I plan on being here until the day I die.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:50 AM

9 posts, read 26,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
You may want to look into Newberry sc. It is a short comute to Clinton, and a Quick hop to Columbia for the amenities of a City (Greenville is really a Big Town ,as opposed to a Small City) Compared to Indi, Columbia will have more along the lines of what you are used to having. Irmo is another option,just outside Columbia, but a longer Daily Drive. Clinton is a cute little town,and about an hour to Columbia. So you need to decide how much you need the amenities of the city, Shopping,dining etc. vs the daily drives.
We moved to Greenville from the city,thinking it was cute. Then we discovered that we have to drive to Atlanta or Charlotte to even get a Hair cut,or to go Shopping for what we want.It takes a little(ok , A lot) more planning.
Best of Luck!
I don't agree that Columbia has anything more to offer than Greenville. Yes, it is has a larger population but that's about it. I find it funny that someone would have to drive to Atlanta from Greenville to get a haircut! Sounds like one of those $400.00 jobs like John Edwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area