Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 AM

41 posts, read 93,311 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the taylors sc can anyone tell me a little bit about the town??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 PM

696 posts, read 1,335,467 times
Taylors is a rather large area just between Greenville and Spartanburg. It's largely residential and pretty diverse. The main road through Taylors is highway 29/Wade Hampton Blvd and is peppered with strip malls and shopping plazas.

Taylors is pretty much a really big collection of subdivisions, IMO, but I'm sure there are others here who will have more insight. The population is enough that it could be considered a small city or large town unto itself. It's spread out into a bunch of "neighborhoods", such as Wade Hampton, Chick Springs, et al., some more upscale than others.

The area of Taylors along Rutherford Rd is not as nice as the area on the south side of Wade Hampton Blvd in as far as I've observed, but there are pockets of nicenes. The area around Pebble Creek is pretty nice, and the golf course there is pretty and well kept.

I've always been surprised that with the size of Taylors, there really isn't more to do *in* Taylors. For any real shopping or anything you pretty much have to go to Greenville, though there are plenty of your standard restaurants, such as Denny's, along Wade Hampton. That being said, you can reach Greenville or Greer from just about anywhere in Taylors in 5 to 10 minutes.

There is a fair bit of traffic congestion towards Pleasantburg Dr in the mornings and afternoons, but not as bad as the Woodruff Rd area. I'm not sure how the traffic is going towards Greer.

You can reach 385 and 85 in about 15 minutes, depending on where in Taylors you depart from. It takes me roughly 30 minutes to reach Mauldin for work from the Wade Hampton area in the morning, and the same amount of time to make it home. It used to take me 15 minutes to reach downtown City Hall in the mornings.

That's about all I can come up with for now.

Last edited by Eric_96SC; 04-07-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
I echo what ericsinphilly said. Taylors isn't an incorporated town, but more of an informal community. Kind of a suburb. But, there's decent shopping (Target, Home Depot/Lowe's, several grocery store chains), some decent restaurants, and it's actually between Greenville and Greer. I tend to lump it mentall more with Greer (NOT a bad thing!)

Most folks already know about Greenville's highlights, but Greer has a decent downtown with several restaurants & coffee houses as well. Greer also has a new campus of the Greenville Hospital System.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 PM

696 posts, read 1,335,467 times
Along those lines, where is downtown Taylors? I haven't found the actual downtown yet and I've lived in Taylors for over six months now. Or downtown Greer for that matter, though I've explored Greer much less than Taylors.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:26 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsinphilly View Post
Along those lines, where is downtown Taylors? I haven't found the actual downtown yet and I've lived in Taylors for over six months now. Or downtown Greer for that matter, though I've explored Greer much less than Taylors.
I don't think there's more than an old storefront near a church (on old Main St, which parallels Wade Hampton) that could be considered "town" for Taylors - it really is a bedroom community.

Downtown Greer's a different story. They just finished a new city park just off downtown, and nice new municipal building as well. Much of old downtown Greer is/has been renovated. It's really cute! Heading east on Wade Hampton, you get to downtown Greer by bearing right at the intersection with W. Poinsett St. This will be just past the Buncombe St (Hwy 290) intersection.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:39 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,182,251 times
I just bought a home in Greer, but looked exstensively in both Greer and Taylors, actually, I had conrtacts on two homes, both in Taylors, that didn't go through due to inspections, but both were in very nice areas, one on each side of W.H. I tended to like the homes to the north side of WH more than those south. Taylors is a bit more towards Greenville than Greer. There were a lot of areas I liked in Taylors.

I like that Greer has a downtown area, I don't think that was the case in Taylors, not that that would have swayed me. I like the area in general because, depending on where you live, you can feel like you're out in the country, but be down on Wade Hampton in a matter of a few minutes. Also, you aren't right down in Greenville, but yet can be downtown in about 15-20 minutes.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,789 times
I always saw the area near the old Taylors post office as the "downtown" of Taylors. It's the same location as Taylors First Baptist Church. Many years ago, you could find a few storefronts and stores on that street, but it was never quite as developed as say Greer downtown was with lots of store frontage. Now, Wade Hampton Boulevard is where all the business is and they even moved the post office to there several years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area