Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times

Advertisements

Push for Southwest Airlines could affect governor’s race | greenvilleonline.com | The Greenville News

I found these parts of the above article interesting:

Bauer, the Republican lieutenant governor, is a former state senator from the Midlands and presides over the Senate as part of his duties. He also is a longtime political ally of Sen. Jake Knotts of Lexington County, one of the Midlands senators objecting to the bill. The others are Sens. John Scott, Joel Lourie and Darrell Jackson, all of Columbia.Bauer said the dispute boils down to a “geographical issue with different areas of the state all wanting to have Southwest come to their part.”

“These folks that are holding it up, I think we’ve got to go to them with a reasonable approach that says, ‘Look, I understand your concerns for the people you represent. Help us out on this, and the next one we’ll try to help you a little bit," Bauer said.

Wylie said the bill provides the same benefit to communities across South Carolina, but the debate has turned into a “match on who’s going to win. I think that’s unfortunate because if the bill doesn’t get passed, the state’s the one that’s going to lose.”

Cooper said 27 companies have cited affordable air service as a key factor in deciding whether to establish Upstate facilities.

“In total, these companies would bring an estimated 13,000 new jobs and $4.5 billion in capital investments,” Cooper said in the letter.

He said airfare also is a key consideration in 16 corporate expansions currently under consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:48 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Something is needed at GSP for certain. Recently airfare from the city I live in to GSP was listing for $448. Airfare into Atlanta on the same day was $240. Guess which airport got my business?

I thought the "salt of the earth" Republican establishment that runs SC was the type that feels the government shouldn't interfere with business? Why should lawmakers get a say on where Southwest should, or should not be doing business?

/half kidding here.
Lawmakers are NOT getting a say on where Southwest goes. The incentive plan being pushed is good for ALL South Carolina. Southwest is simply interested in GSP and CHS and not Columbia.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:11 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Lawmakers are NOT getting a say on where Southwest goes. The incentive plan being pushed is good for ALL South Carolina. Southwest is simply interested in GSP and CHS and not Columbia.
Blocking an incentives package because the company you're trying to incentivize isn't interested in the location where you want them IS getting a say.

SW going to GSP just makes sense as that airport has a larger population base and a larger draw area, being halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte. However, I don't fully buy the argument that SW will do much in the way of business attraction. Unless you are doing business in Vegas, New York, etc... flying on SW often takes muuuch longer than traditional carriers. But, airfare being as high as it is at GSP , maybe SW just having a desk will be enough dto put ownward pressure on the traditional carriers fares.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:59 PM

I am allergic to the stupidity in Columbia:

"I've read about instances where a low cost carrier comes in, they essentially buy the rates down, with incentives," said Lourie. "They cause other airlines like a Delta or USAir to have to cut back services to remain profitable. And when the incentives run out, the airline picks up and packs their bags and they fly out on the last plane out of town and then we as consumers and citizens are left with less service than when the whole process started."

Plan could have Southwest Airlines land in Upstate, Lowcountry - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |

Yeah, Southwest has definitely packed up and left Raleigh, Nashville, etc. When Independence was at GSP, I don't recall any airline cutting back. I remember lower rates, more passengers, and increased services from airlines. Just because LCC's haven't been successful at Columbia doesn't mean the same holds true for GSP and CHS. Allegiant has INCREASED services out of GSP since starting service.

Last edited by g-man430; 04-29-2010 at 07:10 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 PM

WYFF talked to Dave Ridley in Greenville earlier today who is Southwest's senior vice president of marketing: Southwest Airlines VP Talks To News 4 - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/23310095/detail.html - broken link)

Old 04-29-2010, 08:35 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
You know why he was in Greenville, right? Click here to learn more.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:29 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,459 times
Hey I hope the bill is held up from now til whenever. If the Midlands can't benefit from it then there is no reason that they should contribute. If Charleston and Greenville can get without the help of the Midland than so be it, but don't expect them to pay for a meal they can't eat. Forget it. Also I'm glad the bill is coming out for what it really is, and not trying to hide behind the notion that it is good for the entire state when it has been pretty obviously designed for the Coastal and Upstate regions. If you have an agenda just say so.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Hey I hope the bill is held up from now til whenever. If the Midlands can't benefit from it then there is no reason that they should contribute. If Charleston and Greenville can get without the help of the Midland than so be it, but don't expect them to pay for a meal they can't eat. Forget it. Also I'm glad the bill is coming out for what it really is, and not trying to hide behind the notion that it is good for the entire state when it has been pretty obviously designed for the Coastal and Upstate regions. If you have an agenda just say so.
Why can't they benefit from it when it's valid for any commercial airport in the state including Columbia's? Where in the bill does it say it's only valid for the coastal and upstate regions? Gotta love the misinformation the Columbia boosters are throwing out in regards to this bill. If it were designed to lure Southwest to Columbia only, you'd probably be jumping for joy to see it get passed Sandlapper.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 PM

http://www.thestate.com/2010/04/30/1...outhwests.html

"I'm not afraid of Southwest," Mann said. "It doesn't have to be this way. Charleston and Greenville can't be greedy."

Read the bill. Where in it does it say Columbia can't get a low-cost carrier with the incentives? Is Sandlapper Dan Mann?

However, Mann and McLeese said they were told a deal to add service to Charleston and Greenville was completed in December. The airline incentives legislation was introduced in January.

Hmmm....

Old 04-29-2010, 11:59 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,459 times
Again, why would Columbia and the Midlands support a bill which they see absolutely no benefit from. Why would I pay for a third of your house if only you and brother can live there? There is no direct benefit for the Midlands to support it, we help pay the tab and get absolutely nothing in return. It doesn't matter how upset the other regions of the state get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area