Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 03:14 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times

Advertisements

Okay,
so we've been here for 2 1/2 months now and we are having the hardest time finding the "right church". You'd think that being in the belt buckle of the bible belt and the church to human ratio is 850,000/1 we wouldn't have such a problem, but we are.

The fact that the upstate has a reputation as being conservatively christian played a large factor in our move. However we miss our home church, The Church on the Way in Van Nuys sooooooooo much and can't find anything comparable.

Apparently this area is dominated by the baptist church. This is neither good nor bad, it is what it is. My wife and I aren't use to that though, most churches in SoCal are either non-dom or charismatic, excluding all of the cults. lol

We do lean towards the charismatic/evangelical way of worship but not the over the top, falling on the ground like you're having a seizure screaming, "GAWD" at the top of your lungs, name it and claim it charismatic. More of the raise your hands during worship charismatic. Another major difference here is the worship itself. At TCOTW worship was about 6-8 songs for at least 20 minutes. Here is 3 songs max and then have a seat.

Here's a list of churches we've visited thus far. Oh by the way, all have been very warm and friendly and we've gotten something out of all of them. However none of them feel like home:
Greenville First Assembly, Redemption World Outreach, Brookwood,Restoration Church, Christian Assembly, Greenville Vineyard, Cornerstone, Praise Cathedral,Abundant Life, and today Southside Fellowship.

We really want a church to call home. All opinions are welcomed. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 04:18 PM

73 posts, read 345,300 times
I don't live there yet but I have been looking into this. A friend recommended I try the Crossroads Community Church. CrossRoads Community Church -- Greenville/Simpsonville, SC
I am curious to see the responses here.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:34 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,198 times
I've got a very good friend who also moved up here from Orlando and goes to CrossRoads after checking into multiple churches as well. I've not attended any services there, but he seems to think very highly of it.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:03 AM

286 posts, read 1,477,476 times
I thought I had some good suggestions until I got to the bottom of your post....you've tried them. I was going to suggest "The Vineyard" (the most charasmatic that I've been to) and "Redemption" (from what I see on TV, it appears to be conservative with a slight edge to it. I do see hands raised in the audience).

We're a bit more conservative, and attended Brookwood for 7-8 years now. However, with their move to a larger facility and our move to the north side of Travelers Rest, we will be on the search as well.

I'll be interested to follow your discoveries.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 PM

8 posts, read 47,263 times
Sonrise,

I have been in the area for a few weeks now and recently started attending Crossroads. It is a great church with a very welcoming feel. Not the size of Redemption or Brookwood from what I here... I would say typical worship lasts about 30-45 mintutes with sermon lasting 30-45 minutes.. Probably about 6-8 songs total. The church has a great band...come check it out sometime

L

Old 06-11-2007, 12:49 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
There is a church in Greenville that has its roots in SoCal. It is Calvary Chapel of Greenville. You may have heard of them out there since they are huge out west - especially in California. I have a friend from Michigan who started going there and has loved the people and the method of worship. It might be worth checking into. I think they are located in Simpsonville. Another you may want to check out is North Hills Community Church (broken link). I have been there are really liked it.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:27 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Thanks guys/gals for all of the feedback. Y'all continue to prove that true southern hospitality is alive and well. This board never fails.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:17 PM

113 posts, read 461,972 times
Are there any Catholic Churches in the immediate Greenville area?

Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
Are there any Catholic Churches in the immediate Greenville area?
You betcha. The Catholic population in Greenville is strong and steadily growing. The larger ones I know of include Prince of Peace and St. Mary's.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:32 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasle View Post
I have been in the area for a few weeks now and recently started attending Crossroads. It is a great church with a very welcoming feel. Not the size of Redemption or Brookwood from what I here... I would say typical worship lasts about 30-45 mintutes with sermon lasting 30-45 minutes.. Probably about 6-8 songs total. The church has a great band...come check it out sometime.
My friend is one of the rotating guitar players in that band!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area