Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Greenville's support of arena football and minor league basketball are irrelevant here. What is relevant is Greenville's support of minor league hockey in the past, and the area supported the Grrrowl very well. The attendance numbers were very strong. The problem with the Grrrowl wasn't fan support, but a disadvantageous leasing arrangement with the Bi-Lo Center which made it nearly impossible for them to make a profit. As g-man mentioned, the terms are much more favorable this time around with the new team. The team also plans to be very fan-friendly, as well as being visible in the community. They know how successful the Drive have been, and plan on using the same approach. The team's owner was the GM for the New York Rangers in the 90s when they won their Stanley Cup, so he has been around the block and know what it takes. He wouldn't have chosen Greenville if he weren't confident in the outcome.

And there are a lot of people in the Upstate who are interested in hockey. It has been growing in popularity in our area over the last decade, and the influx of transplants from the North will help also.
Hear, hear! I've never been a hockey fan (grew up in Alabama, don'tcha know), but I'm always willing to become one! If the new hockey team/Bi Lo Center can provide the same type experience one finds at a Greenville Drive game, they'll have a runaway hit on their hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
...the Greenville ICE...
I think you are on to something there. I had thought about the Ice Storm, paying homage to the infamous storm of December, 2005.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 AM

306 posts, read 689,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I think you are on to something there. I had thought about the Ice Storm, paying homage to the infamous storm of December, 2005.
Hey.....That was my entry!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:35 PM

182 posts, read 350,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
I was not putting it down. I deal in facts.
Fact - Growwl did not make it.
Fact - Arena football did not make it.
Fact - Minor League basketball did not make it.
Fact - Most people in this area do not care very much for Hockey.

If you wish to go pay to see hockey more power to you but I just do not think it will go.
First off, I plan to attend games when I can - I usually made 5-8 Grrrowl games a year. So, I'll do my part to support from the Hub City.

That said, I'm still a skeptic on minor league sports in this area. The Drive is a huge hit, but I'm betting a lot of that is based on the fantastic stadium and overall atmosphere on the West End these days. Say what you will about the lease agreement, and I agree it will make things easier for the new hockey team to stick around longer, but it will do nothing to put fans in the seats. I hope I'm wrong, but my guess they'll be 10 and out.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:08 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Wait, I got it: The Greenville Flopshotters. It's perfect.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopShotter View Post
Say what you will about the lease agreement, and I agree it will make things easier for the new hockey team to stick around longer, but it will do nothing to put fans in the seats. I hope I'm wrong, but my guess they'll be 10 and out.
Hasn't this issue already been addressed? Isn't it pretty much known that getting people into the seats wasn't the problem, but rather poor management was? Again, if the new team/organization can create the kind of buzz and atmosphere that the Drive do, it'll be a winner.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 PM

182 posts, read 350,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Wait, I got it: The Greenville Flopshotters. It's perfect.
I like it...ties in with the area's strong golf community!

Concerning attendance, I would say keeping behinds in the seats was a big problem. The figures widely published have the Grrrowl starting at 7,000 per game, dwindling down to 2,100 per game before they folded. I agree if you can keep it above a reasonable number (say 5,000 a game), the FlopShotters will be successful. Stopping the annual decline will be the big challenge to overcome from hockey history in G'Vegas. Otherwise, they'll be the Greenville Decade.

As I've said, I hope they succeed, and I hope to eat crow on this one.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopShotter View Post
I like it...ties in with the area's strong golf community!

Concerning attendance, I would say keeping behinds in the seats was a big problem. The figures widely published have the Grrrowl starting at 7,000 per game, dwindling down to 2,100 per game before they folded. I agree if you can keep it above a reasonable number (say 5,000 a game), the FlopShotters will be successful. Stopping the annual decline will be the big challenge to overcome from hockey history in G'Vegas. Otherwise, they'll be the Greenville Decade.

As I've said, I hope they succeed, and I hope to eat crow on this one.
I think those two things kind of go hand in hand, obviously there was some interest with 7000 per game starting, but something turned ppl off, for me often its how the event is managed that affect my attendance. (and of course ticket price )

Last year I bought season tickets to the Carolina force(arena football). but the management of the events wasn't great overall and it caused me to decide that while I may attend one or two games this season, it sure isn't worth me spending the money on the season tickets. This was based solely on the management of the events, not the sport itself or the team.

By the way how about the Greenville Chill? someone enter it for me, i'm way too lazy

Old 05-05-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I think those two things kind of go hand in hand, obviously there was some interest with 7000 per game starting, but something turned ppl off, for me often its how the event is managed that affect my attendance. (and of course ticket price )

Last year I bought season tickets to the Carolina force(arena football). but the management of the events wasn't great overall and it caused me to decide that while I may attend one or two games this season, it sure isn't worth me spending the money on the season tickets. This was based solely on the management of the events, not the sport itself or the team.

By the way how about the Greenville Chill? someone enter it for me, i'm way too lazy
How do you define "management of the events"? What are you looking at/for?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
How do you define "management of the events"? What are you looking at/for?
Something like the Greenville Drive. Something where ticket prices, foods, drinks, etc. don't cost an arm and a leg. Something with a great atmosphere. Something where the management actually cares about the fans and not themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area