Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:30 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,534,308 times

Advertisements

Things are not that black and white.....there is a large gray area. You try telling that to those that are in danger of losing their bread & butter. It always amazes me when people who still have their jobs just shrug their shoulders and try to give an easy answer to a complicated problem that affects other people. Very easy to say that the new companies will solve the problem when you are not the one walking in the shoes of the GHS employees that will be laid off.

Those new companies that are going to Greenville will not solve the problems of everyone who is laid off....every cloud does not have a silver lining!

In the meantime while those who are laid off look for new jobs in a very tough job market....no one can guarantee when or IF they will find new employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 03:08 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,490,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Things are not that black and white.....there is a large gray area. You try telling that to those that are in danger of losing their bread & butter. It always amazes me when people who still have their jobs just shrug their shoulders and try to give an easy answer to a complicated problem that affects other people. Very easy to say that the new companies will solve the problem when you are not the one walking in the shoes of the GHS employees that will be laid off.

Those new companies that are going to Greenville will not solve the problems of everyone who is laid off....every cloud does not have a silver lining!

In the meantime while those who are laid off look for new jobs in a very tough job market....no one can guarantee when or IF they will find new employment.
But hey, it's a LOT better than lots of other metros in this country right now.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:32 AM

156 posts, read 331,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post

Excellent post! And yes, I'm quite sure that if I do get laid off I will NOT qualify for a factory job or manufacturing job that supposedly is coming to Gville, maybe in the next few years!

Poeple need to get real on this forum. Any other forum you go to the TRUTH is posted and posters don't bash others for it. Why can't we all be truthful here and STOP with the BS and the sugar coating of Gville? I'd feel really bad if I kept posting about how good it is here and had families move, only to be laid off soon! Let's keep it real..............

Old 05-19-2010, 11:40 AM

On a side note, budget meetings are going on right now hospital wide. We employees should know the lay off numbers within a month is my guess.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:49 AM

11,689 posts, read 24,660,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
Excellent post! And yes, I'm quite sure that if I do get laid off I will NOT qualify for a factory job or manufacturing job that supposedly is coming to Gville, maybe in the next few years!

Poeple need to get real on this forum. Any other forum you go to the TRUTH is posted and posters don't bash others for it. Why can't we all be truthful here and STOP with the BS and the sugar coating of Gville? I'd feel really bad if I kept posting about how good it is here and had families move, only to be laid off soon! Let's keep it real..............
Why can't we be optimistic? Why do we have to be negative about the area? Sorry, but i'm sick of hearing about all the stupid doom and gloom when it comes to the recession.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:52 AM

5,519 posts, read 15,294,067 times
And then, as usual, they'll announce a new round of hiring. This is old news; the national and global economic climate has not been well for more than a year now. Layoffs, furloughs, benefit cuts, salary freezes, and other budgetary reorganization are to be expected. The medical industry will never disappear.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Why can't we be optimistic? Why do we have to be negative about the area? Sorry, but i'm sick of hearing about all the stupid doom and gloom when it comes to the recession.
Well, it is doom and gloom here in Gville and if YOU might be on the list for a lay off I'm sure you'd be worried too!

And wrong, there will always be medical BUT they are not immune from a layoff either. Let's get real here....................

Old 05-19-2010, 12:04 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,434,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Because there are lots of people here that lost their jobs last year and still can't find anything to replace that money. Every unemployed person in the area isn't capable of working an assembly line building cars or buses.

I've got a nice freelance business running...it's keeping our heads above poverty but that is all. And there is always a recruiter calling with an opportunity that never materializes. Let's see how optimistic you are after many of those!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,660,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Because there are lots of people here that lost their jobs last year and still can't find anything to replace that money. Every unemployed person in the area isn't capable of working an assembly line building cars or buses.

I've got a nice freelance business running...it's keeping our heads above poverty but that is all. And there is always a recruiter calling with an opportunity that never materializes. Let's see how optimistic you are after many of those!
So just because YOU lost your job means the rest of us have to be negative about the local economy even though we still have our jobs? Wow. Guess that means if you jump off a bridge, I have to also right?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:27 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,534,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
If you do you're a bigger idiot than I thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area