Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:24 PM

506 posts, read 1,221,940 times

Advertisements

I live right across from Tanner Estates and there definitely isn't any highway noise there that I've heard. The houses look beautiful from the outside - the only thing I'd be concerned about is the state of the neighborhood. They had originally planned to build a lot more houses in that neighborhood before the economy collapsed - not sure if they still plan to build more houses or what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 06:49 AM

31 posts, read 98,669 times
We're currently building with Legendary at Tanner Estates.

We've been in the planning/contract phase for a few months now. Lot is graded, foundation is next. Will try to update you as the building process finishes.

We didn't have a buyer's agent, we just drove around Greenville/Greer/Simpsonville for hours, days...looked at a lot of Legendary neighborhoods, and fell in love with the style/level of the houses in Tanner Estates and the location of the neighborhood regarding schools, 85/385, and local "amenities" - although, we would definitely prefer to be a little farther away from Woodruff.

Our primary contact at Tanner Estates is very down to earth and a pleasure to work with. We grilled her throughout the process, and she seemed very honest and upfront. The features that they offer for the price/sq. foot is hard to beat, and we haven't seen or heard anything negative about them. Although, reviews are sparse since they're a fairly new company (3 years or so I believe). If you build with them, don't assume that you're stuck with their spec. If you want something changed, don't be afraid to ask. We were amazed at how much they are willing to customize...We actually got them to move around some walls in one of their "spec" plans. We're also building one of the plans in Tanner Estates that isn't even listed as a "Tanner Estates" plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
the only thing I'd be concerned about is the state of the neighborhood. They had originally planned to build a lot more houses in that neighborhood before the economy collapsed - not sure if they still plan to build more houses or what.
I don't know what it was like in the past, but currently, there are only about 20 lots available out of 100 total, and there are 3-4 houses under active construction in Tanner Estates right now, with 2-3 recently finished. They're building there pretty quickly, and I believe the neighborhood is only ~4 years old. 80 houses in one neighborhood in 4 years seems like a pretty good pace to me, especially considering that the neighborhood was purchased by Legendary from McCar, who bit the dust. Legendary probably has about 15 communities in the "Greenville" area under active development. They seem to be doing well in this dismal economy.

Last edited by Ryan R; 12-10-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 01-03-2012, 05:48 PM

20 posts, read 66,224 times
Default may build too

Hey ryan...wanted to see how you experience is going with legendary? We are thinking of building with them too. May be moving from pennsylvania. How do you like the greenville area?

Thanks

john

Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM

143 posts, read 206,753 times
Four of my co-workers have moved into Legendary homes, and since I just moved here, I asked them about their experience. They all have positive experiences to share about Legendary. My friend Andy has been in his home for about a year, and he's been very pleased with the builder's responsiveness to warranty issues. However, he commented that there haven't been many things that have gone wrong.

My other friend told me that his neighbor in Tanner Estates is actually a homebuilder, and when he asked him what he was doing living in a Legendary home, he stated he couldn't build a quality home with the amount of square footage for the price that Legendary (wasn't) charging.

I think the majority of the neighbors in Legendary will be corporate transfers, so you'd get a good cross section of people.

The reason we didn't move into a Legendary home is because we didn't want a neighborhood with a mandatory HOA.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrdc1 View Post
Hey ryan...wanted to see how you experience is going with legendary? We are thinking of building with them too. May be moving from pennsylvania. How do you like the greenville area?

Thanks

john
Not much has changed since my last post here. Note the date, it's only been a few weeks

Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 10,036 times
Ryan,

May I ask which home plan you are building in Tanner? Also, how long is the building process. What do you need to get started building? I like the Waterford plan, but it's not a Tanner plan. How up front are they about the costs to change things in the original plan? Do you know what the HOA fees are? Will they let you look at the HOA docs before making your decision? thnx!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jonesie View Post
May I ask which home plan you are building in Tanner?
Bakersfield. The plan is listed at Tuxedo Park. I would assume that they will only build plans that are comparable to the neighborhood you're building in. The Bakersfield, while not listed in Tanner Estates, is comparable to other plans at Tanner Estates. In otherwords, I doubt they'd let you build a $400,000 plan in a neighborhood that starts at $150,000, and vice-versa.

Quote:
Also, how long is the building process. What do you need to get started building?
4-6 months is their verbal estimate once you start building, barring anything "unforeseen". The contract gives them a much larger window to build though. It's in their interest to get it done quick, because they don't get paid until it's finished. They require a pretty good sized deposit up front. Some of which is refundable (if you choose to back out) and some of which is not. The remainder isn't due until closing. They require a preapproval for a loan before they start building, so you might want to start that process when you know you're getting close to signing a contract. The whole planning phase with various meetings, picking out a plan, colors, material, etc. took us a very long time. It probably took 2-3 months, but if you don't need a lot of customization, I bet you could go in today and start building in a few weeks.

Quote:
How up front are they about the costs to change things in the original plan?
They weren't able to provide a "master list" of all possible changes, probably for two reasons. One, they probably don't even have one, because there are so many things that you can change that it would be overwhelming. Second, they don't want you taking pricing home with you because prices may change, and they don't want those prices spreading all over the place. A lot of the pricing depends on the plan. Changing the countertops in one plan is almost certainly going to be a different price than changing in another plan. We found out prices as we went through the planning phase. I wouldn't expect to walk into the office and receive a price sheet if you ask for it though.

Quote:
Do you know what the HOA fees are? Will they let you look at the HOA docs before making your decision? thnx!
HOA fees are reasonable. We asked about that in one of our initial meetings. They gave us the amount and also gave us the full HOA docs for us to take home. The neighborhood we're in is pretty strict, but that's fine with us. There are also clearly some rules in the HOA that aren't followed, and nobody seems to care about, ie: cars in the driveway. Covenants state that you can't park cars in the driveway or street unless it's temporary or a guest...but I'd say the majority of homes have cars in the driveway/street.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:34 AM

915 posts, read 2,423,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R View Post
Bakersfield. The plan is listed at Tuxedo Park. I would assume that they will only build plans that are comparable to the neighborhood you're building in. The Bakersfield, while not listed in Tanner Estates, is comparable to other plans at Tanner Estates. In otherwords, I doubt they'd let you build a $400,000 plan in a neighborhood that starts at $150,000, and vice-versa.

4-6 months is their verbal estimate once you start building, barring anything "unforeseen". The contract gives them a much larger window to build though. It's in their interest to get it done quick, because they don't get paid until it's finished. They require a pretty good sized deposit up front. Some of which is refundable (if you choose to back out) and some of which is not. The remainder isn't due until closing. They require a preapproval for a loan before they start building, so you might want to start that process when you know you're getting close to signing a contract. The whole planning phase with various meetings, picking out a plan, colors, material, etc. took us a very long time. It probably took 2-3 months, but if you don't need a lot of customization, I bet you could go in today and start building in a few weeks.
Legendary is building just about the same homes in every one of the 16 or so subdivisions they're currently building in. The only thing they change is the exterior finishes, trim level of the inside, and the standard features list based on the neighborhood the house is going into. Hence the reason you can build the Pemberly in Creekwood for $291,900, in McRae Park for $334,900, in Tanner Estates for $325,900, Heritage Point for $261,900, in Knight's Bridge for $287,900, in Ellington Park for $297,900, or in Shellbrook Plantation for $257,900.

As for building time, 4-6 months for Legendary is an eternity. I have seen them simultaneously build three houses right next to one another from lot clearing to completion in 10 weeks (Thanksgiving and Christmas fell in that time too), and those were spec homes. I can't even imagine how quickly they could build a single house if they knew they were going to get paid right when they were done.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:24 PM

113 posts, read 244,723 times
Default Anyone else...

...have thoughts on Legendary Communities?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Legendary is building just about the same homes in every one of the 16 or so subdivisions they're currently building in. The only thing they change is the exterior finishes, trim level of the inside, and the standard features list based on the neighborhood the house is going into. Hence the reason you can build the Pemberly in Creekwood for $291,900, in McRae Park for $334,900, in Tanner Estates for $325,900, Heritage Point for $261,900, in Knight's Bridge for $287,900, in Ellington Park for $297,900, or in Shellbrook Plantation for $257,900.
This is true to an extent, however, I do know that they will not build any plan in any neighborhood. I confirmed this later, straight from the horse's mouth. The plan has to be reasonable for the neighborhood it's going in, and that doesn't just come down to trim or material. It comes down to size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area