Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 AM

624 posts, read 936,500 times

Advertisements

I don't see anything wrong with classifying abnormal grieving, but like some other mental problems, diagnosis is subjective and doctors will prescribe when it's uncalled for.

One of the reasons things keep getting added to the DSM is that diagnoses have to be coded for payment by insurance companies. While I do see problems with over-medicalization of human conditions, there are sound practical reasons for clarifying what a person is requesting/receiving treatment for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 AM

624 posts, read 936,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
I will throw in a very different idea:

We have become isolated as persons and families. Death used to be a part of life, and our 'funeral homes' used to be our converted living rooms. Persons who died were laid out in the house and the community would appropriately grieve the loss of a loved one. There would be support for days and weeks after, and a bereaved family was looked upon.

We now have hospitals, urgent care facilities, nursing homes and ways of isolating as well as sanitizing ourselves from becoming decrepit with illness and death. We've also become a society of quick technologies with 'do-overs' left, right and center. There is similarly a great influence from the popular media of what our bereavement reactions should be; entertainment TV and even much of educational TV is an oxymoron. The US has little understanding of recognizing death. We have ritualized life into our ceremonies because the topic of death is repugnant.

The 'medicalization' of grief and bereavement may very well be what is reflected in society, as a way of further sanitizing the experience. We take pills for many other ills, using it as chemical discipline when we don't otherwise use our full repertoires in addressing needs. Conversely, if one medical provider cannot take away my sadness and another says I have to 'bear' it for another few months, I can always shop for another opinion, with another 'expert' who can take it away in pill form within weeks.

The less we tune in to others as a society, the greater likelihood we will end up banishing something like the holistic experience of death. A true appreciation of the same allows a greater experience of every other minute. Death is a real disruption: it affects marriages, graduations, vacations, picnics, and all sorts of other fun things. And it can't be scheduled you know. Of course, if every other minute must be as finely tuned as a movie set, well, give me a pill to get over it.

>my two cents<
I agree with just about everything you said. Let me throw in this thought about your statement re medicalization of grief as a further extension of sanitization.

Our society's peculiar aversion to death may have the legitimate consequence of complicating some people's grief to the point that it does become a disorder. Grief over suicide, traumatic death, and disenfranchised grief in particular can trigger very unhealthy reactions in a culture where death has been so sanitized. Increased geographical separation from our loved ones can complicate grief for increased likelihood of regrets/unresolved relationships and a lack of local family support. These and other conditions of modern life might very well be making grief more likely to become genuine dysfunction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning