Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
There's actually a bit more to the story that I excluded because it sounds unbelievable. The woman who threw her dog at the receptionist and was rolling on the floor was a long time client. I was trying to convince her to come back to an exam room but she refused. People were coming in for their appointments to this sight. I went downstairs to get one of the vets, who was a friend of this woman in the hopes she could calm her down.

This particular vet had a very traumatic life...she was one of those people who always has terrible things happen to her. She would sometimes randomly start to cry during the workday. She walked out into the waiting room, observed the scene for a minute...and then hit the floor herself and started wailing.

That was the point where I went downstairs to hide. It took another vet to finally calm everybody down.

Months later the woman's friend would loss a dog and would react in a very similar manner. She didn't roll, but she spent half an hour screaming in my face that the dog had to be cremated with her blanket...which was not at all an issue. She was full out shrieking and cursing at me. Her friend (the one who threw the dog) was with her and encouraging this behavior.

All of the worst hysterical grief cases I can remember were middle-aged white woman, typically upper class.
Were you working at a vetrenarian at the local psych hospital??? Yes, it does sound unbelievable!

Upper class huhn? Sounds like lower class IMO. Yes, I guess rich women take their emotions a bit to the extreme not an excuse to not be dignified at least. There is no excuse for putting on a show like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Were you working at a vetrenarian at the local psych hospital??? Yes, it does sound unbelievable!

Upper class huhn? Sounds like lower class IMO. Yes, I guess rich women take their emotions a bit to the extreme not an excuse to not be dignified at least. There is no excuse for putting on a show like that.
I honestly miss that job...at least I came home with stories to tell! Working in an office just can't match it. We had a client who insisted her dog was her daughter. If you called the dog a dog (oh, how's the puppy today?) she would leave in a huff. She would dress the dog in little dresses and hats that matched her own. One day she showed up wearing funeral grab..and the dog had her on her own matching black dress and veil. I bet the dog didn't become hysterical at the funeral!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Quote:
I can totally believe it. I've never had that particular experience while working at a vet hospital but it's true that pet owners can sometimes be a little special.

Thanks for the condolences guys. I appreciate it.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I honestly miss that job...at least I came home with stories to tell! Working in an office just can't match it. We had a client who insisted her dog was her daughter. If you called the dog a dog (oh, how's the puppy today?) she would leave in a huff. She would dress the dog in little dresses and hats that matched her own. One day she showed up wearing funeral grab..and the dog had her on her own matching black dress and veil. I bet the dog didn't become hysterical at the funeral!
Hmmmm, guess I am wrong in thinking most people were "normal". The g/f of one of my neighbors has a ankle biting chiwowa(I do not know how to spell that so I do it phonetically ) and she dresses that yapping lit rat up in costumes too. I can't stand it! Sorry, don't mean to offend any little dog owners but I just can not stand the yapping little dogs do. Especially when their owner does not try and control them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I can totally believe it. I've never had that particular experience while working at a vet hospital but it's true that pet owners can sometimes be a little special.

Thanks for the condolences guys. I appreciate it.
LMOA at being "special"! TG I am not that "special".

Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,237,972 times
Grief is a very personal emotion. It's been my opinion for years that those who have to lay on the deceased, cry, scream and yell at a wake orthe ones with the most remorse, they did'nt visit enough, or feel like they've done enough, period, for whatever reasons...

Guilt sometimes comes out in the form of grief, anyone agree?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:06 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
Grief is a very personal emotion. It's been my opinion for years that those who have to lay on the deceased, cry, scream and yell at a wake orthe ones with the most remorse, they did'nt visit enough, or feel like they've done enough, period, for whatever reasons...

Guilt sometimes comes out in the form of grief, anyone agree?
Strongly.

Everyone grieves in their own way. Some are able to "keep it under wraps" and sob silently in their bedrooms away from anyone. Some never cry, but that doesn't mean they don't feel intense pain. Some people weep openly, sob, scream, yell, get angry, faint, drop to the floor in a heap of blubbering mess, (I really don't mean that disrespectfully), and some roll.

In some cases, the grief is so overwhelming, they react so strongly that those on the outside are taken aback. I think some people just never realized it would "happen to them", or there was a lot more to it than just a dying dog or whathave you.

I know that when my first rat Lucy died, I lost it. I knew she was about to go and I started crying, looking up the phone number for the Emergency Vet, begging my then boyfriend to go with me, holding her in my hands the way she liked to be held. I remember waiting for him in the hallway of the apartment complex while he got his keys. I remember the wild look in her eyes, as she looked at me, in to my soul, I swear, and I started sobbing because I could actually see the fear in those eyes. And then she died.

You should never drive when you are that upset...but I did. Thankfully it wasn't that far away, I don't remember a thing about the drive over except she was in my lap and then we were at the vet. I walked in there, holding her in my hands, dead, sobbing. I remember telling them, "She didn't make it" and letting them know I was there because I just really didn't know what else to do. They suggested cremation and then they let me "spend some time with her" in an exam room, by myself, before I let her go. I don't even know how long I was in there. I just remember I crumpled to the floor, holding her, sobbing like you wouldn't believe.

That was my pet rat. A rat. Some people will never understand that. "It's a rat!" But you don't know the bond I had with this rat. I loved, adored and cherished this rat. We had a tight bond. And losing her, there was guilt. It was guilt over things I have no control of, I'm not God, I can't make her live forever but it was questions, "Did I do enough, what if I had been quicker, could there have been anything done, I was to take care of her and she died..." on and on. It's not realistic at the time of grief but you don't realize that when you are grieving.

Don't be so quick to judge people who are grieving. Some people really do react like this, sincerely.

Having said that, yes, there are some people who play the drama card for the attention only and do make it about them. Heck, news stations do this all the time. I remember when I lived in Seattle, it seems they would always try to find a Seattle connection no matter HOW remote it was just so they could say, "See? We suffer, too." It was deplorable, if you ask me. I'm sure it's not just Seattle that does this or did that, (haven't lived there in awhile), but some people do grieve in hysterical ways for attention.

But that is not everyone. In the end, people are upset and no matter how they display it, we must recognize that they are upset and put our judgements to the side. There is no sense in getting angry how others react even if it's clear it's for attention. Who cares. It's their grief, not yours.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Hmmmm, guess I am wrong in thinking most people were "normal". The g/f of one of my neighbors has a ankle biting chiwowa(I do not know how to spell that so I do it phonetically ) and she dresses that yapping lit rat up in costumes too. I can't stand it! Sorry, don't mean to offend any little dog owners but I just can not stand the yapping little dogs do. Especially when their owner does not try and control them.

LMOA at being "special"! TG I am not that "special".
Chihuahua

There was no doubt whatsoever what you meant!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Chihuahua

There was no doubt whatsoever what you meant!
and I STILL won't be able to spell it next time! I must have a mental block or something against learning how to spell it.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:52 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
we all react differently.. watching movies or reading how others react isnt real life.. some go dumb , some crumble. some pass out , others go into a daze. some cant stop the tears, were all different..

Old 06-09-2012, 01:04 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Thumbs up Too Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I'm fascinated by the rolling. Also, was the dead dog caught, or did it land on the desk or what happened?
ROFL! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!
I soooo needed that big laugh today!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning