Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 02:36 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,630 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My aunt died in Canada last October (may she Rest in Peace) due to a negligent driver (hit her). It was tough on the family and now we are working on a settlement. FYI we live in America and we had to fly up to Ottawa in order to take care of all her personal effects and such.

This the first time we had to deal with something like this and our lawyer wants to keep it out of court and is only sueing for (or whatever the term would be) for $135K (canadian dollars).

A background on my aunt; prior to moving to Canada she worked for the Philippine government as a congresswoman. She has several degrees and was wealthy; she moved to Canada to make more money in order to support our large family back home. All of my aunt's assets went to one (which there are several cousins) of my cousins. Between stocks and real estate it was worth up to $300K (american dollars).

The Philippines is a 3rd world country and many that move to North America work hard here to provide for them back home; even my parents and my own family helps provide for them.

Well in any case is $135K to low for someone's life? The person who killed my aunt was totally at fault (disregarding a stopsign and wasn't even supposed to be driving). The money would be divided among 6 siblings in the Philippines and also cover expenses paid to fly my family from the US to the Philippines to cover all the funeral arrangements.

I'm thinking that $135K is so it'll be out of court and quick for the lawyer rather than fighting for more compensation. I really don't know much about it and would like to get some opinions before going back to the lawyer to debate if it should be more or if $135K is what we'll settle for.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks much!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:53 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
Hello all,

My aunt died in Canada last October (may she Rest in Peace) due to a negligent driver (hit her). It was tough on the family and now we are working on a settlement. FYI we live in America and we had to fly up to Ottawa in order to take care of all her personal effects and such.

This the first time we had to deal with something like this and our lawyer wants to keep it out of court and is only sueing for (or whatever the term would be) for $135K (canadian dollars).

A background on my aunt; prior to moving to Canada she worked for the Philippine government as a congresswoman. She has several degrees and was wealthy; she moved to Canada to make more money in order to support our large family back home. All of my aunt's assets went to one (which there are several cousins) of my cousins. Between stocks and real estate it was worth up to $300K (american dollars).

The Philippines is a 3rd world country and many that move to North America work hard here to provide for them back home; even my parents and my own family helps provide for them.

Well in any case is $135K to low for someone's life? The person who killed my aunt was totally at fault (disregarding a stopsign and wasn't even supposed to be driving). The money would be divided among 6 siblings in the Philippines and also cover expenses paid to fly my family from the US to the Philippines to cover all the funeral arrangements.

I'm thinking that $135K is so it'll be out of court and quick for the lawyer rather than fighting for more compensation. I really don't know much about it and would like to get some opinions before going back to the lawyer to debate if it should be more or if $135K is what we'll settle for.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks much!
You better check with a lawyer who knows Canadian laws.
She is an aunt and not directly in you family.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:56 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
I'm so sorry for your loss, usmcmotart; however, the Grief forum of City-Data is not a legal advice area, nor is there a legal area on City-Data.

Your best bet is, as the poster above has said, to contact an attorney familiar with Canadian law.

Wishing you the best. Thread is closed.

Sam I Am
Moderator, Grief
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning