Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 PM

379 posts, read 533,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I mourned the death of my husband 7 years before it happened 5 1/2 months ago. He was told "2 weeks to 2 months" and I went off the deep end. Two car accidents, a DUI. So I thought when the time really came, I was all set. Wrong. No matter what, when a loved one dies, it hurts. It hurts bad. I'm an only child too. Both my parents are dead many years and my kid lives 2,500 miles away. I am in survival mode.
I totally relate to what you said. I too had prepared....or thought I had prepared myself, for when my DH passed away 4-1-12. I have experienced all sorts of emotions that I did not prepare for, but how could I have known? You just don't know until it happens how painful it can be.

Both my parents are also gone and my daughter also lives a long ways away. I feel so alone, even though I am surrounded by great neighbors, a wonderful work family, and a new church family. It is so hard to come home from work to a quiet place. The silence is deafening.

One day at a time now is all I know to do. Just get through today. I wish for you to find the strength for one more day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
I totally relate to what you said. I too had prepared....or thought I had prepared myself, for when my DH passed away 4-1-12. I have experienced all sorts of emotions that I did not prepare for, but how could I have known? You just don't know until it happens how painful it can be.

Both my parents are also gone and my daughter also lives a long ways away. I feel so alone, even though I am surrounded by great neighbors, a wonderful work family, and a new church family. It is so hard to come home from work to a quiet place. The silence is deafening.

One day at a time now is all I know to do. Just get through today. I wish for you to find the strength for one more day.
I know exactly how you feel as I felt the same way after my DH passed. I always rushed home after work so we could spend time together. I still felt the urge after he died but also knew there was no one there and I hated to go home.

It does get better.. and it took me a long time to learn how to be alone and not be lonely.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:33 PM

379 posts, read 533,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I know exactly how you feel as I felt the same way after my DH passed. I always rushed home after work so we could spend time together. I still felt the urge after he died but also knew there was no one there and I hated to go home.

It does get better.. and it took me a long time to learn how to be alone and not be lonely.
Thank you Keeper for understanding how I feel. It has only been 2 months and sometimes I feel like this is a dream. I still think I see him, smell him, tell his picture goodnight. Today I feel a little angry that he left me. That's a silly thought, but those kinds of things creep into my mind at times.

As a child I was always ok playing by myself, and sometimes as his caregiver enjoyed the quiet moments as he slept. Now my 2 dogs and 2 cats are what keep me going, my responsibility, my family. It is difficult to go from "doing it all" to no longer being needed by him.

I hope it does get better. I know I need to give it some time. But thanks for your comments. They are appreciated.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:18 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
tngirl, I'm so sorry your grief is so fresh and raw. Ugh, your hubby died on my birthday. I won't forget that now.

I spent the day in oncology today with my neighbor and friend of 50 years today. She was diagnosed with incurable lung cancer yesterday. I saw everyone that had been involved with my husband's battle for 7 years. I did not get sad (about him), I was sad for her. She's only 57. I'm steeling myself up for another battle and knowing she will loose in the end. She has a partner but the partner can't take all the time she would need off, so that is why I'm involved now. Hell, I've know the woman 45 more years than the partner has. We grew up together and whatever she needs me to do, I will.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us (me). We are a lot alike.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
When a loved one becomes disabled or terminal, I think it's common and somewhat normal to mourn the loss of parts of a relationship before they die. My husband, for example, couldn't talk for the last 12 years of his life. I mourned the loss of easy conversations a decade ago before he died. Someone who losses a loved one from an accident or out of the blue is not going to have the same kind of grief as someone like me who virtually lost (and mourned) parts of my husband over time. There are so many variables when it comes to grief that we all need to be careful not to generalize. Like everything else important in life we need to listen and actually hear what the other grieving person is saying.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times
I had the same thing happen to me in the middle of the night last night, and I woke up balling my eyes out. The worst part was that it is my wife who has a disease and I had a dream about her passing, and coming back to tell me everything will be alright.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:25 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I had the same thing happen to me in the middle of the night last night, and I woke up balling my eyes out. The worst part was that it is my wife who has a disease and I had a dream about her passing, and coming back to tell me everything will be alright.
I'm sorry, topher.

That's a tough dream but also a pretty good one too, IMO. It's bad that she passed in your dream but also good that she came back to tell you everything was alright. Not being a psychologist, or dream interpretture (sp?) I can only speculate. 1) Your fears 2) your hopes after she is gone 3) a message from God. Maybe all 3? Personally, I'd take it as a comforting dream for when the time comes.

Have you read my story of the 1st time my hubby died? I do believe everything will be alright after our loved ones pass. He told me so. Hang in there, our friend.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:30 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
I had a lot of dreams about my husband in the first three months. They are starting to taper off now but I still have one once in a while. I think it's just our brains processing all the new stuff coming at us with maybe a few unconscious thought thrown in that our daytime minds won't acknowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning