U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 10:56 AM

5,843 posts, read 8,426,202 times

Advertisements

So my Mom, almost 102 is now in AZ where I live.

Took the trip back to the house she lived in for 60 years in IL, where I grew up. Decided it was time to do the cleaning out, estate sale, house on market bit, now, while I still have my health. There is no one else but me. Only child.

Let me tell ya, it was so emotional and depressing I suffered physically. I thought doing this ahead of the actual funeral would be better, since she will never go back there to live. But it was really really hard on me. Found so many old photos, memories, and stuff that she saved all these years. Even found my baby book. Met my childhood next door neighbors, now age 63. Saw the house in so much ruin that it will take forever to sell it. Had a great lady who handled the estate sale, but seeing strangers rummaging thru Mom's stuff was awful.

Grief takes many forms. I don't expect my Mom to live that much longer, so I have that part to go through soon. Everyone says how blessed to have her for so many years. Sometimes I think not. She wanted to die a long long time ago. I will miss her but now I have half the grieving process done, I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 AM

12,220 posts, read 7,343,646 times
I am so sorry you have to go through this alone! Having estates under these circumstances is never easy. I hated the strangers going through my mom's stuff too. On the other hand, it's nice to know that many of her things will be enjoyed again by a new generation. Now, I am in the process of disposing of my husband's things. It's amazing what a person can collect in a life time.

Virtual hugs coming your way.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,965,362 times
I understand your pain. It is a whole different facet of grief. I am currently trying simultaneously sell and clear out my late mother's house, the house I and 4 other siblings grew up in. Mom was in a nursing facility for the previous year before she passed in Sept '11. As POA and then, executor, I started cleaning out the accumulation of 64 years and five kids. It's till ongoing, nearly two years and counting of hoarding, collecting, and the dumpings of several less responsible grown children. I have even had siblings take items without permission (probate dictates that all is itemized) and fight over items that Mom gave to me before she passed. It has been a sad, ugly business...and that doesn't even cover the old photos, prom and communion dresses, boy scout uniforms, et al.
I apologize for venting. Suffice it to say that you are not alone and your depression is real and predictable. Be sure to schedule some time for yourself---get away once in awhile for a breather. Be judicious in decided what are actual sentimental mementos and what are just things that we collect in life like so much dust. You will achieve peace in the future, but take it one day at a time.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:32 AM

363 posts, read 405,210 times
Default My sympathies

PhxBarb, you are going through such a difficult time. My heart goes out to you. Not only are you away from home where you feel comfortable, you are having to deal with your mom's "other life". You are to be commended. I completely understand how you are feeling.

When my mom died, my dad continued to live in their house until he was no longer able to care for himself. He moved in with my sister, and us 3 girls cleaned out their house. I could not believe what a pack-rack my mom was! In the end, my sister decided to move in the house herself and have my dad move back in with them. She is still living in the house today.

To go through this alone is overwhelming. Try not to look at the big picture and just do one day at a time. That's all you can do. Wish I was there to help you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning