U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 AM
 
Location: 900 miles from my home in 80814
4,669 posts, read 6,724,674 times
Reputation: 7068

Advertisements

The first thing I did when I got to the funeral home was ask for his jewelry, specifically his wedding ring and his 25th Anniversary ring (we renewed vows and gave each other right hand rings). I wear his rings on a chain around my neck. They were given as we pledged our love and lives to each other, and even though his life ended, my love for him didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 AM
 
2,552 posts, read 4,767,587 times
Reputation: 5131
I have been widowed for 2 yrs & 7 months. I took my ring off after about 10 months. It just felt like what I needed to do to start moving forward. I keep it and his together in my jewelry case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2013, 05:34 PM
 
26,164 posts, read 14,417,827 times
Reputation: 17235
I know how hard it must be to keep it on......

Its understandable sweetie and im sorry for your loss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Table Rock Lake
971 posts, read 1,130,993 times
Reputation: 939
I find it necessary to correct a statement I made in a post on this thread about wearing my weding band until my deceased wife takes it off since she was the one to put it on my finger.

Last week at the grocery store parking lot I was transfering the bags of groceries from the shoping cart to the back seat of my vehicle and noticed my masonic ring was missing from my right hand. I searched the bags and found it and put it in my pocket. Arriving at home and putting all purchases away, I washed my hands with soap and water in the kitchen sink in preparation of fixing my meal when my weding band slipped off and went bouncing around the sink. I covered the disposal with one hand and retrieved the ring to my pocket. Later that night I tried both rings on and found my fingers to have shrunk enough that the rings are too easily removed. So now I will be ringless after 58 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 AM
 
Location: 900 miles from my home in 80814
4,669 posts, read 6,724,674 times
Reputation: 7068
That's not the same as purposely taking off your rings. Your intent was to wear them forever, but your hands had a different agenda. Maybe do what I did in high school when my boyfriend gave me his ring when we "went steady". Put tape around it. I think I used Johnson & Johnson white medical tape. It's what's in your heart that counts, not what's on your finger. Although the tape idea isn't bad....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2013, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Table Rock Lake
971 posts, read 1,130,993 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
That's not the same as purposely taking off your rings. Your intent was to wear them forever, but your hands had a different agenda. Maybe do what I did in high school when my boyfriend gave me his ring when we "went steady". Put tape around it. I think I used Johnson & Johnson white medical tape. It's what's in your heart that counts, not what's on your finger. Although the tape idea isn't bad....
You are right Marcy, I had good intentions. When my wife was on chemo and her fingers got smaller she went to the jewelry store for an estimate to resize her rings and came home with clear plastic clips on the rings, worked for her. Such is life in the fast lane. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 AM
 
Location: SWFL
21,315 posts, read 18,088,667 times
Reputation: 18691
That's too bad, BB. I understand your sadness at not being able to wear your rings. The clips and Marcy's suggestion are good if you really want to wear them. When I "went steady" I used to do the same thing but I then covered the tape with nail polish to water proof it.

Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Table Rock Lake
971 posts, read 1,130,993 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That's too bad, BB. I understand your sadness at not being able to wear your rings. The clips and Marcy's suggestion are good if you really want to wear them. When I "went steady" I used to do the same thing but I then covered the tape with nail polish to water proof it.

Sorry.
Good point on the waterproofing lil sis, since I only go out into the public one day a week for about three hours I think I will do without them. Rather than going through the sinking feeling when one is missing. Thanks for the tips though.BB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2013, 08:48 AM
 
Location: SWFL
21,315 posts, read 18,088,667 times
Reputation: 18691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Good point on the waterproofing lil sis, since I only go out into the public one day a week for about three hours I think I will do without them. Rather than going through the sinking feeling when one is missing. Thanks for the tips though.BB
You're welcome, BB, my pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 AM
 
8,440 posts, read 10,696,054 times
Reputation: 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
I find it necessary to correct a statement I made in a post on this thread about wearing my weding band until my deceased wife takes it off since she was the one to put it on my finger.

Last week at the grocery store parking lot I was transfering the bags of groceries from the shoping cart to the back seat of my vehicle and noticed my masonic ring was missing from my right hand. I searched the bags and found it and put it in my pocket. Arriving at home and putting all purchases away, I washed my hands with soap and water in the kitchen sink in preparation of fixing my meal when my weding band slipped off and went bouncing around the sink. I covered the disposal with one hand and retrieved the ring to my pocket. Later that night I tried both rings on and found my fingers to have shrunk enough that the rings are too easily removed. So now I will be ringless after 58 years.
Ah Bluff,

Maybe your dear one was just reminding you about your rings and played that day. What is amazing to me is you were able to save both rings.

You could try wearing different things on your ring finger. Your finger size may have shrunk, but your heart hasn't. Your love for your wife is evident.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top