U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:01 PM

363 posts, read 204,298 times

Advertisements

I know this is a very personal decision for everyone, but I am curious as to whether you still wear your wedding ring after the death of your spouse.

I am still wearing mine, it has just been a little over 2 short months since my husband passed away. At this point, I feel like I will wear it forever! But today at church, I noticed 2 different widows who are not wearing their wedding rings, and it just got me to thinking.

I'm not trying to be insensitive or intrusive, just curious. I don't mean to offend anyone. Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 04:14 PM

13,615 posts, read 8,203,419 times
I'm still wearing my wedding rings too. It's been almost 6 months in 8 days. I have no intention of taking mine off. It's all a personal thing. There is no right or wrong. If I were 10, 20, 30 years younger, I'd probably have a different attitude or outlook. Especailly if we had had any children. No, I'm fine wearing my rings. Have no intentions of marrying again. You will know when or if the time is right. Bless you, tn.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:31 PM

13,615 posts, read 8,203,419 times
Goodnight, everyone. Time to go numb my brain....tv.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:04 PM

397 posts, read 221,731 times
It is a question I had as well; one dear friend, said she took them off before she was widowed when she gardened. After
her DH died, when she took them off to garden left them off.

Do not make any decisions for a year; think I will wait a year before I make a decision. After 41 years, cannot imagine
not wearing them. Will pray, see what the Lord will have me do after a year. As the Poster said above, there is no right or wrong answer.

Thank you for asking the question, gives one the courage to ask whatever question one has!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 PM

12 posts, read 25,542 times
I used to only wear my ring when I went out of the house but not around the house. Sometime in the years we were married I developed some sort of allergy and had the ring treated, but it still irritates my finger when I wear it too much. I still do the same and I intend to keep doing that. It's been 6 weeks since I lost my husband and I still feel married and think I always will. I have no intention of ever being with anyone else. I did put my husband's ring on a chain around my neck and don't plan to ever take it off.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:32 PM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times
I don't wear my ring. I'm was thinking about taking the diamond out of it and having it set into a locket or necklace; I could wear the diamond, but not be wearing a ring.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 AM

7,415 posts, read 3,154,946 times
When my husband was alive I only wore my wedding band for special occasions because I've always found jewelry to be very annoying. I put it on for the funeral just over 4 months ago and I haven't taken it off since. It's still annoying but that annoyance is somehow comforting at that same time. As long as my heart still feels married then I will keep the ring on and I think that will be for a very long time.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:42 AM

833 posts, read 712,977 times
Nothing wrong with those that take it off.

I believe the words said at a marriage ceremony are-----------" til death do you part "

When one dies, you are ................" parted"-------whether you accept it or not.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 AM

450 posts, read 295,506 times
moved mine to right hand when I was I was ready

Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 AM

7,415 posts, read 3,154,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Nothing wrong with those that take it off.

I believe the words said at a marriage ceremony are-----------" til death do you part "

When one dies, you are ................" parted"-------whether you accept it or not.

I don't think anyone is criticizing those who remove their wedding rings. We're all different and that's okay. We're just comparing those differences. Our marriages were all different as well as our ages and the circumstances surrounding the death of our spouses. The decision to wear or remove a ring is not a one-size-fits all thing.

And for those of us who are still wearing our rings, for the most part I don't think it has anything to do with not accepting that death ends our marriages. I was with my husband over 40 years and its only been a few months since he passed away. In that time I have given all his clothes and medical equipment away, sold his prized sports car, have been e-Baying the heck out of his other things of value, and I've given sentimental stuff to all those people close to him. I've also taken care of all that death related paperwork and bills, redone my own will and shopped for a downsized house. I accept my husband's death---it's in my face every day---but I don't accept that I have to advertise to the world that I'm alone in this world. I don't have the time or desire to get hit on....LOL

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 06-11-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning