U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:26 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,270,224 times

Advertisements

My husband died this past December after a four year illness. In the early spring, I was invited to spend the summer in the community that we used to live in - just to get away and think about what I wanted. I felt very drawn to that place - our former home. Lots of friends were very welcoming, I had a job offer, many opportunities popped up, just such a wonderful community. (We relocated shortly before my husband became ill, so I have never really established a community in the new place.) So I have decided to move back. In fact, I bought a house during my summer stay. So my son and I just arrived back at the relocation house to work on getting it ready for sale, to pack up, etc. After being away for 2 months I had no idea how hard it would hit me to be back in this house. We bought this house after my husband was diagnosed. He was never well here. There are many memories of stress, sadness, increasing debilitation, and he eventually died right here in our bedroom. So now I am trying to hold it together to do all the things that need to be done, including sorting through his things and taking only what I need, in order to move to my new house, which is smaller. I do want to start my new life. I know that moving will not take away all my memories and my love for my husband. So I am not conflicted about moving. But the task ahead is so huge, and it is so hard. Our son is here to help me for a few weeks, but I will eventually be doing this alone. So hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 01:01 AM

4,674 posts, read 6,764,288 times
My husband died in our home while I was at our "snowbird" condo in Tucson. It was very sudden and unexpected. I went home for two months, as well, but had to decide whether to keep our family home we'd had since 1975, or move out of state, where I knew no one, to the snowbird condo. I ended up choosing the condo, for many reasons, and truly started over in a place where I knew no one and had never lived without him. We'd only had our condo for a year, and had only spent a few months there. It's now been five years and I've made friends and gotten involved in this community.

I had to clean out the family home which meant dealing with all his things. Since I wasn't ready to give his things away, I moved them to the condo. Almost six years later, I still have some of his t-shirts, sweatshirts and all his personal effects. I have a few pictures around, a photo album out prominently, and some of his cherished items on display.

It's really hard to move, but you're going back to where you were both happy and healthy. That's comforting. Once you're there, and settling in, you'll be surprised that it wasn't as hard as you had imagined it would be.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:50 AM

731 posts, read 524,970 times
I have not read through all of this thread yet, but something our family has done has been to make pillows and quilts out of the clothing of the deceased. The these can be shared and cuddled in memory of the person who died. It can take time and may need to be hired out, but it is a great thing for kids and grandkids to have and costs little. I just got my grandfather's bathrobe when I visited my dad this summer. It fits me perfectly and will be wonderful to use! Better than gathering dust in a closet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning