U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Some believe and others say it's an hallucination. We don't get to find out till we get there. And no one comes back after being dead a few days to tell us about it.

My MIL said the night after her H died, he walked into the bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed. He just smiled at her then walked away. She was asleep and groggy. All she did was smile back at him. Was it real or a dream? We'll never know.
I wish I could remember who this was, but unfortunately I can't - other than that it was a British scientist. He did not believe in life after death, and had had several discussions with colleagues who did emphatically believe in it.

He became seriously ill and had an operation in which his heart stopped and he flat-lined. He had the experience of rising above the operating table, feeling happy and being drawn toward a strong white light. Then bingo, it was over. His heart had been started, and he lived.

When he recounted this experience to his colleagues at work, those who believed in an afterlife were elated and responded with the expected, "See! see! there is life after death. Now you have experienced it."

His response was, "No, this is what happens when you are dying."

Until someone comes back after a few days, I am inclined to go with this British guy's view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 AM

4,765 posts, read 6,924,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
scientific my aunt nelly---once you have had a nde---you can feel empathy for the non believers---those that have gone before us are exsisting happily on another plane
And for those, like myself who are involved in EVP, we know without a doubt, that there is life after the death of the physical body.
Bob.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:07 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,739,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
My mother did as 7 Wishes noted - they lost her on the operating table - she later related that she was warm, in a bubble, and floating. She saw the doctor drop a blood transfusion - described the whole thing. I was dating an RN at the time who verified her story with the OR personnel. She said she wasn't afraid, she just knew the bubble would take her up - then it was like she got sucked back into her body.

I'll never know what happened the day she died - she had been in a coma for 9 days...but right at sundown (which was her UNfavoritist time of the day), she sat straight up, looked toward the corner of the room, smiled a beautiful smile, laid down and was gone. She saw something, I'm convinced of that. Sorta hoping she saw her next life since I've taken the road less traveled and believe in reincarnation.
My mother-in-law did the same thing, basically. She had been drifting in and out of consciousness for a few days fighting septicemia. She was on a pretty heavy morphine drip just to keep her comfortable, but no heroic efforts were being made as she was 89. She was a very pragmatic person, very strait-laced and no nonsense. Right before she died, she opened her eyes really wide, smiled and said clear as a bell, "Daddy's here, and so is Mama." Daddy was my fil who died 8 years earlier and Mama was her mom who died 30 years earlier. Then she lay back down with the most peaceful smile, closed her eyes, and her heart slowed to where it finally stopped a few minutes later. Everyone in the room was stunned as she hadn't said a word for days. The hospice worker said that it's fairly common for the dying to have a lucid moment right before death and talk to someone who's passed. Who knows if they really do see anyone or not, but it sure convinced me. Since dh has now passed, I've had my own experiences seeing and hearing him, so I really do think there's something to this.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 07-31-2012 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 PM

10,179 posts, read 10,541,144 times
I've done extensive reading on NDE's and watched countless videos on Youtube from the experts and those who have experienced. I used to believe in them but as I analyzed the testimonies I gradually came to the conclusion that they are indeed mind induced. I really want to believe in them and I do believe in an afterlife, but I don't believe these people who return are actually experiencing anything but hallucinations brought on by brain chemicals that draw on the subconscious portion of the mind where memories, wishes, hopes, etc are stored. The wide diversity of actual experiences is what makes me think they are not real. One neurosurgeon describes being on a butterfly wing and looking down on a beautiful valley with thousands of butterflies flying along with his. Another describes walking along a path leading to a mausoleum-like structure. And the visions of seeing departed relatives seem to me to be merely subconscious wishes and hopes of being reunited with loved ones that have departed. Not to mention that the vast majority of people who "die" don't even have an experience, which raises even more questions.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 PM

4,083 posts, read 5,498,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Some believe and others say it's an hallucination. We don't get to find out till we get there. And no one comes back after being dead a few days to tell us about it.

My MIL said the night after her H died, he walked into the bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed. He just smiled at her then walked away. She was asleep and groggy. All she did was smile back at him. Was it real or a dream? We'll never know.
This is really strange....my mother had almost the same experience. Right after my cousin died (her niece, a favorite and only 53), my Mom said she had a dream where my cousin was at the foot of her bed, smiled and waved. VERY similar to your MIL's experience and the other story posted above. My mother felt very comforted, like my cousin came to say goodbye to her.

Anyway, my Mom just died recently and I was with her when she took her last breath after having been in a coma and unresponsive, but breathing on her own, for six days. Nothing dramatic happened. She had been breathing through her mouth with an oxygen mask on. At 1:41 PM, after I had just put my cell phone up to Mom's ear so my cousin could say hello, she just opened her mouth a bit wider, took a deep breath, and then her mouth returned to the way it had been.....but she was no longer breathing. I was soooo glad that I was actually looking directly at her at the actual moment of death. It was very peaceful....and meaningful, since she seemed to "go" at a time when I was on the phone with family and therefore not "alone". I was hoping she would come back to me in a dream, but so far, she has not. I am considering going to a medium. My Mom's death was very sudden, and I feel like I want to know she's OK and wasn't scared. I have no idea whether the "mediums" actually have any ability to contact the deceased, but I'd sure like to try.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,229,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerania View Post
it is what it is. You learn about things, live, experience them.

I almost died - twice - when i was 14 years old. When i was 12, my parent moved to a house which i was quite sure was haunted. I still think that there is something weird going on in that place. I experience prophetic dreams. It is what it is.

Some are permitted to see a bit of what is to come. Those who don't will just never understand.
yup.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:48 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I've done extensive reading on NDE's and watched countless videos on Youtube from the experts and those who have experienced. ....
My own opinion is that these experiences are a perfectly normal part of the human consciousness - and that's it.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:26 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,748,743 times
Quote:
This is really strange....my mother had almost the same experience. Right after my cousin died (her niece, a favorite and only 53), my Mom said she had a dream where my cousin was at the foot of her bed, smiled and waved. VERY similar to your MIL's experience and the other story posted above. My mother felt very comforted, like my cousin came to say goodbye to her.
Similar experience.

Shortly after my partner passed he returned to me in an especially vivid dream (which in itself is notable since i almost never remember dreams when I wake up), and I could see him and he was talking to me and smiling, but I could not hear what he said. But that was enough for me, that I saw him like that again. It was sad but comforting.

Thinking about it is sort of making me tear up a bit.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:22 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,332,656 times
My mother died a little over a year ago. The day she died she suddenly said "Daddy, wait for me..." Her father had died many years before.

I do not believe that these death experiences are hallucinations or something along that line. So often you hear the same kind of experience, where they are drawn into the light, are at peace, and see dead relatives. It seems odd to me that so many people that have these experiences have the same type things happen.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:49 PM

21,431 posts, read 18,144,759 times
I stand by my OP and that hubby was not hallucinating. He was flatlined in both heart and brain activity. He was above watching down on the EMTs and crowd. Every once in awhile he would see a face that he recognized from that crowd yet didn't know that person. Non-believers will never believe unless they go through an experience themselves but I believe my husband and I'm here to tell people that it IS REAL and not to be afraid. Non-believers are people who pretty much are non-believers of God IMO. They think science is the end and be all of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning