U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:53 AM

14,510 posts, read 11,489,335 times

Advertisements

I was reading about Clark Gable.. whos wife Carole Lomabard was killed in a plane crash during WW2.. both her and Clark had made arrangements to be buried together.. Caroles mother was also killed with her so both Carole and her mum went into wall crypts more or close to each other.... Clark remarried but his wife made sure that when he died in the 60s he was put in the space he had asked for next to Carole... thats fine but then she the new Mrs Gable gets herself put in a tomb to the left hand side of Gable.. I just wondered if this has happend a lot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM

3,893 posts, read 9,363,105 times
Many families keep married couples together, only including children if they die before marrying. There's no rule about this, though. Everyone gets to choose for themselves, and you should share this decision with more than one person. Otherwise, anything can happen!

Make your wishes known, or you might end up rooming with your MIL for all eternity

Can you imagine how much angst could be avoided if we all just laid it out in proper legal form?

Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM

51,242 posts, read 50,519,955 times
When my mother-in-law was dying, she wanted to be cremated, but my SIL balked at the idea, telling her mother that she would rather have a grave to visit (I thought this was completely selfish but it wasn't my conversation to have.) So, finally my MIL said, OK, bury me, but just whatever you do, don't bury me next to your father! He's in NJ and she's in Florida, so that part worked out well, but now I wonder, 21 years later, if the sister-in-law even ever visits the grave anyway. She moved to a different part of the state years ago and is probably 5 hours away.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 AM

21,438 posts, read 18,150,188 times
I just found out that even if you are cremated, you can be buried in a grave. Your MIL could have had both wishes done.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 AM

833 posts, read 1,416,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I just found out that even if you are cremated, you can be buried in a grave. Your MIL could have had both wishes done.
----" JUST FOUND OUT "...

what caused you to believe otherwise ?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:25 PM

22,712 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Well... I didn't always know that. Why should everyone be expected to know everything all of the time?

Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 PM

842 posts, read 1,050,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When my mother-in-law was dying, she wanted to be cremated, but my SIL balked at the idea, telling her mother that she would rather have a grave to visit (I thought this was completely selfish but it wasn't my conversation to have.) So, finally my MIL said, OK, bury me, but just whatever you do, don't bury me next to your father! He's in NJ and she's in Florida, so that part worked out well, but now I wonder, 21 years later, if the sister-in-law even ever visits the grave anyway. She moved to a different part of the state years ago and is probably 5 hours away.
Can't you have a grave even when cremated? I had an uncle who wished to be cremated and his family respected his wish after his death. His ashes were then buried in his wife's grave, who had died a few years before.

EDIT: Sorry, just read the above posts, but anyway.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:27 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,892,964 times
It's also possible to have the urn with the ashes placed above the casket in the first grave. The headstone would then have to be redone. I think it's a great idea, especially when space may be at a premium.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:43 PM

833 posts, read 1,416,803 times
At my church's cemetery, purchasing one grave site allows you to have 2 cremation burials or 1 cremation and 1 vault burial per lot.

Two vault burials require two lots.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:25 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,740,923 times
My parents bought a double headstone in a church cemetary in Connecticut because they thought that's where they'd live until they died. They were in their 40's at the time. My mom died unexpectedly a couple of years later, and my dad buried her in their plot. A few years later, my dad remarried, and his company moved their entire corporate headquarters from NYC to Denver. When my dad died, he and my step-mom were cremated and their ashes scattered in the mountains as they had asked. The headstone in CT has my mom's information on it, but the other half is empty.

My dh wanted his ashes scattered in the mountains after he died, but when I got the urn from the mortuary, the lid was glued shut and I couldn't open it, so I didn't honor his wishes. After bringing his urn to AZ, the lid came loose, and I could scatter his ashes, but I don't know how I'd get the ashes back to CO unless I drove there, but that seems like a long way to go to scatter ashes and come right back to AZ....I want my ashes scattered in the channel between Maui and the Big Island off the rocks at Kaupo (it's in my will)...wonder if dh would want to go with me? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or