Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times

Advertisements

This past Tuesday, coming to the realization husband is no longer with me, now resides in Heaven.

Wednesday, 5 1/2 months since his transition.

Thursday, PST 10:45 was preparing 42 years ago for our wedding, First Baptist Church, Oakland, CA.

We were bless with two sons, he came to know Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior and my MN boy
was bless to leave CA and live in WA for his remaining years. Right now, he would be riding his
tractor or doing something in the yard he so enjoyed.

More likely, we would be planning to dine somewhere; last year on the marina at a fine restaurant
and remember, for the first time, our complimentary dessert, how he so enjoyed sticky pudding with fresh creme on top! (Believe it's well known in the United Kingdom-a date confection).

To envision him, he looked French Canadian, silly grin, always telling a joke-dry sense of humor, even
in his last days at the nursing home. VERY protective of me, his family. God was so good, our last words to each other "I Love You."

Thank you for allowing me to share, each of you are so kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 12:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
That first anniversary alone is tough. I just had mine a couple weeks ago. Luckily, it's just one day. Put one foot in front of the other.

You are fortunate to have had those last words!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:13 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
I've heard them called sadiversaries instead of anniversaries, after a spouse died. That seems fitting to me. Whatever you call them I agree with Yellowsnow that they are one of the things that makes the first year so hard. Thanks for sharing yours, Sera.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:07 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Thank you for sharing, Ladies. I am glad you had your good times too.

Take care and Blessings to you

Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
"I love you" were our last words to each other too.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Our anniversary was just one month to the day after my husband passed. No one else remembered - not my mother, siblings... I told, didn't ask, my son to take me out to dine so that I didn't sit at home moping.

There are many holidays which I no longer enjoy, Fathers Day being one.

It really does get better. Don't get me wrong, it'll never be the same. I remember that date, see it coming every month.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:32 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
My dh died October 26, and his 60th birthday would have been Nov. 3. I had his gifts, cards, and all the kids cards had arrived. Then, two weeks later, Thanksgiving, two weeks after that, my 58th birthday Dec. 10th, and two weeks after that, Christmas. It was the hardest 6 weeks of my life, whereas they were always the busiest, happiest, most joyful 6 weeks when he was alive. Spent those holidays alone. Family has never lived in AZ. At that time, kids were in Europe (Hungary), Texas and Kansas with their own families. Sil was in Denver, so it was just youngest son and me. I've since had 3 more holiday seasons, 3 more wedding anniversaries, and 3 more Valentine's Days. It does get better. You learn to celebrate alone, in your own way, if you want, or just acknowledge the day, but don't dwell on it. Everyone is different. Last month, it was our 39th anniversary. It was a Saturday, so I watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, his favorite movie and heard him saying the lines with Butch and the kid. I made myself a small crab topped filet mignon and had a glass of Bailey's Irish Cream. My son was out with friends, which was actually very helpful. I looked through our wedding album, and cried. But it was good. Sweet. Sad. Loving.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:55 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Thank you for the encouragement Marcy; pleased you took care of yourself.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:57 AM

769 posts, read 1,007,197 times
Hi sera,

First off, let me just say that I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss. Your husband seemed like an incredible man who definitely had a lot of his priorities right and truly loved and cared for his family with all his heart. I can only imagine how incredibly difficult it must be for you now that the reality is really starting to set in. I so wish that I could help you rid yourself of the pain, suffering, and sorrow that you're feeling, but the best advice that I can give you is just to keep going along. Keep putting one foot in the front of the other. It may be extremely hard to think so now, but eventually things will begin to settle and you'll begin to accept (or, at least, get accustomed to) your new reality. Time will help to heal your wounds and ease your heart. At the very least, you know in your heart that your husband is in a better place and can watch over you and your family forever. I truly do believe that our loved ones never really leave us and that they always help us along our own life paths one way or the other. You'll always miss your husband, but, as I said, things will keep on getting better as time moves on. Like I said, just keep at it and keep putting one foot in front of the other and continuing on. Life is one giant adventure and you never know where it'll take you next.

Thank you for sharing with all of us. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:25 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I think we all have 'those' days that remind us of our loved one who left us. We were married on Xmas Eve and that has pretty much made Christmas a day of loss. It gets better but I don't think you ever forget 'those' days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning