Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:18 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,556,814 times

Advertisements

PhxBarb, I, too, was an only child. I lost my mom in January 1989 and my dad in September 1989. I had such a feeling of loss and being an orphan. I know your mom has people waiting for her, I've heard so many stories of those at near death "seeing" someone they loved and wanting to be with them. When she's ready, she'll go. Maybe she just likes having you near.

I'm glad you're able to let her know you're okay with her passing. Somewhere inside, it gives her comfort. I truly believe that. I will be thinking of you and hope you'll stay here with us for a lot of comfort afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 AM

6,955 posts, read 12,032,559 times
Bless you, all of you. I get tears in my eyes just reading your posts.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:11 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,298,867 times
Barb maybe you should take a day to do something completely away from your mother's bedside. No one will think any less of you if you do and if something happens while you're away for the day then it was meant to be that way. Hospice says many times people do pick the time their love ones are gone to take their last breath. You've had a long haul behind you and will have another long haul ahead of you once your mom does pass. Maybe it's time to take a break and recharge your batteries a little bit?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,549,971 times
My mom died almost 4 years ago. She had been very ill for a number of years and was on oxygen. The day she died she told me that she did not want me to be sad. I told her I would be sad but that I would be o.k. and that it was alright for her to go. She waited until my Dad and I were gone to die and I know she did this on purpose (she always did things her way!).

I thought I was prepared for her death but I was not. I am glad that she is not suffering and struggling to breathe anymore but I still wonder how the world continues to go on and my mom is gone. I miss her everyday and I know I always will.

No one loves you like your mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Allow yourself to cry.
Sending you a big hug.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 PM

6,882 posts, read 11,219,459 times
Smile Prayers for her (and yours) comfort & strength

My mom left us in March 2010 after a few weeks with Hospice. My mom sounds a lot like your mother.

I've read your posts and she sounds like an amazing, strong woman who lived life on her own terms.

She was fortunate to be independent that long and have her wits about her.

(I found that when the Bible to my mom she smiled with her eyes closed - it gave her comfort).

Yes, prayer helps all of us even if it calms us for a moment and takes our mind off the pressures of life.

What my mom taught me was that relationships were most important. She had nothing of monetary value but over 300 came to her memorial. Priceless in my eyes!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,382,523 times
Hi PhxBarb, just checking in to see how things are going. Thinking of you....{{{hugs}}}

Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,511,887 times
Barb...I'm so sorry you're having to go thru this.

I am still lucky to have my Mom with me but when HER Mom passed it was much the same situation.

We are convinced it happened that way to make it easier for Grandma's children to say goodbye.

I don't know if that's any comfort for you but I truly hope you're taking care of yourself as you're taking such wonderful care of your Mom.

God Bless.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,984,245 times
Barb- Take a vitamin, have a decent meal, and go for a walk around the block. Think about something totally different for 10 minutes. Then dive back in. You will make it through this. Do take care of yourself! Your Mom would insist on it!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,879,191 times
Unfortunately, your mother is passing and probably won't make the rest of the week. It may be painful to you but could be an answer to a prayer to her. At 102, she's seen life and enjoyed everything that could possibly be enjoyed. Let her go,it won't be long before one day, you will be joining her in heaven. Life will be changed not ended. Your mother is only going to be dead in body, not in spirit. You will have the comfort to know that she's in peace.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,290,116 times
Barb, just checking in to let you know I am thinking of you. I hope you have been able to get some rest. Saying prayers for you and your family, and sending big comforting hugs. Ani
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning