Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:05 PM

677 posts, read 933,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I'm about ready to tear my hair out with this not sleeping at night! My doc will not give me any pills and the OTC don't work anymore. I finally fell asleep today at 9 a.m. and was up at noon again. At least I did get some rest. My poor animals also don't get good rest either. My constant in and out of bed, roaming around, disturbs their sleep as well and I feel pretty bad about that.

There is such a thing as "healthy fatigue". Try walking in the park for 30 minutes & if you're not used to walking for that length of time trust me you'll be good & tired by nightfall. Housework such as vacuuming, washing floors, or any strenuous activity will help you sleep at night. Grief, lack of excercise, menopause are all sleep killers. When you lie down to go to sleep don't allow your brain to become "busy", divert thoughts to thoughts of things that relax you, block out all other thought, & if you know for sure (sometimes we have a inkling that we're not going to be able to sleep tonight) take 1 Advil pm, they always work for me when all else fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Grief, lack of excercise, menopause are all sleep killers.
Three strikes against me! Oh, Lord, I'm doomed ... Add job stress to that, too.

And two cats whose sleep cycles are completely opposite of mine. *sigh*

One thing I need to get back to is yoga. Twenty minutes about a half-hour before I go to bed is very relaxing and calming.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:44 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
50 hours of no sleep and lots of physical work yesterday finally got me to sleep last night! Did I feel good today! Let's see what happens tonight. Thanks for all the "tricks but I've tried them all. Maybe when I finally get moved back into our "old" house, I can calm down and get back to sleeping and then maybe, moving will allow me to stay up at night and sleep during the day! Who knows??

Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,642 times
tngirl205, and any of you widows/widowers - sslf.org has some great resources and a safe place for us to go and talk, vent....whatever....

Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 PM

27 posts, read 39,880 times
My husband died in January 2012 and I alternate between not being able to sleep more than 2 hours at time, and sleeping 18 hours a day. The doctor did give me Klonopin which I took for a few months, and it quieted my mind and gave me peaceful nights. The sleeplessness returned after I weaned myself off but I feel stronger now and will try to improve my sleep hygiene.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demicent View Post
My husband died in January 2012 and I alternate between not being able to sleep more than 2 hours at time, and sleeping 18 hours a day. The doctor did give me Klonopin which I took for a few months, and it quieted my mind and gave me peaceful nights. The sleeplessness returned after I weaned myself off but I feel stronger now and will try to improve my sleep hygiene.
I either was not sleeping or sleeping 12- 16 hours a day. I think my body is trying to adjust to a sleep pattern now. If I go to bed at a "decent" hour, I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. Then I am up from 1 a.m.. When I fall asleep at a "normal" time, I sleep only 2-4 hours. I go to sleep when everyone else is getting up, I sleep the whole dam*ed day.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:04 AM

I am finally sleeping! Not a great schedule, 3a.m. to 9, 11 a.m. but I am getting that all important sleep! I also found a "cure" for feeling so lousy all the time.

I was on the road one night and heard a commercial about a new product that had Resvertol and C0-Q10 mixed. I had all the symptoms they described. I have Resveratol but no CO-Q10. I finally remembered to buy some last time I was at WallyWorld and affter only two days of taking both, I feel amazing! I am no longer tired getting out of bed, my mind feels rejuvinated as does my body! I feel great!

Just want to pass this along in case anyone would like to or needs that "something else" to try and feel like you are living again. Best wishes if you do and hope it works "miracles" for you too!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:33 AM

379 posts, read 533,635 times
That's great tami, glad to hear you are finally getting some rest!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:01 PM

2,862 posts, read 1,806,215 times
Happy for you Tami; thank you for sharing what worked for you!

One widow had a difficult time having dinner alone; for myself it was sleeping. Continue
to read before turning off the light as I did with DH. For myself, if I try to recite the
Lord's Prayer, am asleep before I finish ! God is good.

Note: Usually retire about 10 though sometimes it 1, 2 am. As I shared with another
widow, the grief reminds me of the ocean, it ebbs and flows-comes and goes.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:11 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,920 times
Oh Tami! If I told you how much sleep I've lost since Bill died. Well, lets see...he was killed May 2002. I honestly do not think I started sleeping about 4-5 hours straight thru till just 4 weeks ago. I used to keep the TV on low, just for the noise, but I started turning it off about 11pm, and I sleep straight thru until about 4 am. That's good for me. I get up, take my pain meds, and I'm back down. It's working better for me now. Try some warm milk....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning