U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times

Advertisements

Price a plot, these days, even a burial plot can be expensive.

I have no desire to be buried, cremate me, send the ashes down a stream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,566,735 times
What else do you do with what is left over after they part out your body?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,165,022 times
To put some levity into this rather morbid discussion. My Dad and I used to joke about what his wishes were for when he died. He said he wanted to be preserved taxidermy-style, standing up, with a big smile, dressed in slacks, and sport shirt, with his right hand up in a wave, and the left hand perpendicular across his front, like a waiter carries a towel, and positioned by his back door. He said that way when friends and relatives dropped by, they would always see him smiling and happy, and they could put their hat on his upright hand, and drape their jackets across the other. If anything, he was very utilitarian about life. He and I loved dark humor, and when this was brought up, there was always a load of laughs between us.
But, sadly, life doesn't go according to how we want it to. Daddy's house was bought out by the city, and moved. There is nothing but pasture there now. A few years later, he had a massive stroke, and refused a feeding tube, starving to death after ten days. He is now in a small plot next to my uncle, having been cremated. My Aunt works at the funeral home where he is buried, and was able to offer me help in getting everything taken care of after he passed. But, when my wife and I talk of him, a smile comes across my face, thinking of how he might have looked, standing there at his back door, greeting well-wishers, as they came and went.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:00 AM

13 posts, read 14,299 times
wow. that last one is very interesting. Anyway, simply put, I want to be cremated because after my mother is gone (She's 90), none of us "kids" will see each other ever again. We've never gotten along over the years so I don't want to burden anyone with anything they "have" to do. I want to be cremated with my favorite fly rod and thrown in a good trout stream/river.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,443,292 times
I favor cremation also. Many good reasons have been given like cost, little or no space needed for the remains, a quick disposition of the body over a slow decomposition, no pollution from chemicals associated with preparation for burial, and other reasons as well. In the final analysis, the cremation process accomplishes quickly what normally takes nature decades to transform the body to its basic elements when buried. I just like the idea of returning my basic elements back to nature quickly so they can be reused again as nature sees fit.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:11 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetFireFEMTech View Post
Cremation has been the preferred method in my family mostly out of practicality. No one in my family ever had the extra money for a funeral and we all believe that the money "saved" is something that if we had it, we would spend it on bills or maybe a small extravagance. As for insurance, when my wife passed away 14 years ago, it took the insurance company the better part of a month to come through. A funeral home will not wait for an insurance check, at least not here in Philly anyway. BTW, Pookie is in a Urn here with me since no one wanted her ashes. If I ever find someone to keep...I got some 'splainin' to do!

This is a point to consider----whatever method you consider, funeral homes usually want their money up front. and, most do NOT take credit cards!

However, with my mother, the funeral home let us pay later. They did the whole service, I forget if we even paid a small good faith deposit, but I paid the rest within 30 days, when the insurance check came through. Usually,though, they do want payment up front.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:09 AM

21,438 posts, read 18,155,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetFireFEMTech View Post
Cremation has been the preferred method in my family mostly out of practicality. No one in my family ever had the extra money for a funeral and we all believe that the money "saved" is something that if we had it, we would spend it on bills or maybe a small extravagance. As for insurance, when my wife passed away 14 years ago, it took the insurance company the better part of a month to come through. A funeral home will not wait for an insurance check, at least not here in Philly anyway. BTW, Pookie is in a Urn here with me since no one wanted her ashes. If I ever find someone to keep...I got some 'splainin' to do!
You only have your wife's ashes by default?? My hubby was in the "cooler" at the funeral home for 6 long months because of the VA guy in Sandwich, Ma. who doesn't give a hoot about families and their needs. I was in too much "shock" to confront the dude and not able to fight this jerk. The funeral director told me this guy has a very bad habit of making a vet's family suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
This is a point to consider----whatever method you consider, funeral homes usually want their money up front. and, most do NOT take credit cards!

However, with my mother, the funeral home let us pay later. They did the whole service, I forget if we even paid a small good faith deposit, but I paid the rest within 30 days, when the insurance check came through. Usually,though, they do want payment up front.
They don't??? They do here. Most have payment plans too.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:24 PM

549 posts, read 819,821 times
I had my sister cremated because it was the only way we could afford to have her returned to our home state. There were 7 of us who divided her ashes and took them home. She sits in an urn in my kitchen with a picture of her and a loving card my daughter sent me. I will be cremated and so will my husband. I don't see the point in paying that much. My kids can do whatever they want with our ashes as long as they don't vacuum me up. LOL!!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:28 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,176,988 times
I'm making a move right now. And I'm bringing my husband and sons' cremated "ashes" right along with me. (To my new home.).. This gives me comfort. I don't feel like I'm leaving anyone "behind."

Old 07-20-2013, 02:49 PM

454 posts, read 566,320 times
Cremated... i won't need that shell that encased what was me.. my joys, tears, personality..

ashes mixed with those of my cats that have gone and now rest in little urns... scatter me half in my back yard, half in the New England i have grown to love while vacatioing.

have been to too many open casket funerals, really distressed me..... esp. my uncle who suffered "lip drift" during the viewing... i won't elucidate further
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or