U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
How much cheaper would you estimate? I heard they've jacked up the price of cremation as more people opt out of expensive burials.
I think you are right. The last time I had charge of someone's funeral. It was a cremation with ashes returned in a plastic bag which was inside a cardboard box. It was a few hundred dollars. Only a couple of years later someone else did the same thing at the same funeral parlor, and the cost was almost double.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,441,565 times
I recently made arrangements for the cremation of a relative. It was slightly under a $1000 and scattering ashes in the ocean was another couple of hundred.

That's going to be my choice also, dust to dust...... make that dust to water.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There are no worms six feet down- cremation is just a foolish attempt to avoid death ....as if some how you escape the gloom of decay...It is un-natural..With decay- nature slowly cremates you - with cremation- a human being has to set the process in motion...the match must be struck- All I own in this world is a grave in the family plot...I hate the fact that they force you to be put in a box- I would like a simple white satin shroud...and be put in the cool earth....The other rule I don't like is that our grave yard now insists we buy these expensive concrete vaults to put the coffin in...saying that it is for health reasons...

The ground is dry and sandy...on high ground and the place has been in existence for 200 years without a problem...On the other hand if I could have a tomb...I would like that...who knows _ I might just be Jesus after all...LOL.
Most bizarre statement of the day. Death is death, and it occurs when your heart stops beatings and your synapses stop firing. After that, it doesn't matter what the final disposition of your body is.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 AM

12,925 posts, read 24,048,548 times
Quote:
How much cheaper would you estimate? I heard they've jacked up the price of cremation as more people opt out of expensive burials.
They have it just cost my mother almost $1800 for a direct cremation of my father. They came to the house all of 5 miles to pick him up, next day Mom went to funeral home to sign papaers, pick out an URN and she didn't go fancy as she plans on scattering the ahes, then to the crematory in the same county, 20 miles at most.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 AM

8,591 posts, read 6,109,152 times
My parents had expensive burials. Their wishes and they paid for it but I thought it was an incredible waste of money.

No way do I want that for me.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,272,156 times
For those asking for cost, calling hours/funeral (with casket rental) and the cremation/urn cost us approximately 8K. As for myself, I could care less about calling hours/funeral. I prefer a "Celebration of Life" get together with stories and laughter, oh, and alcohol of course

Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 AM

5,605 posts, read 4,158,119 times
Burial is a waste of land. It should be for the living. And I don't want my family to have to "visit" me. Remembering is quite enough.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 AM

8,591 posts, read 6,109,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Burial is a waste of land. It should be for the living. And I don't want my family to have to "visit" me. Remembering is quite enough.
Great point and I repped you for that.

It would bother me while I was living that there should be a permanent space for my dead remains.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,322,237 times
Quote:
Cremation: $800-1,000
Burial: $5,000-10,000

Our cremains will be interred in a nearby veterans National Cemetery beneath a two-sided headstone memorializing my military service on one side and my wife's service as a midwife on the other. This will be free of any cost to us or family.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,885,607 times
Our church has a memorial garden that is for the members that have been cremated. The ashes are brought to the church in a plain simple wooden box. A small hole is dug, and while the service is conducted, the box is placed and the dirt pushed back in. Later, a simple plague will be placed on the site. All the funeral home is paid for it the simple box and the cremation.

We have one spot where both husband and wife were placed at the same time. I don't remember which died first, but they were interred together during the same burial service. I like that idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or