Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,357 times

Advertisements

I know alot of people are choosing Cremation during these hard times. In Florida I read you can have a quick funeral by contacting a funeral home family ran ask just because it uses the name don't be assured. Contact the funeral home and elect a closed casket fast grave side funeral. They go straight from the morgue to the grave site. No embalming since there is no viewing. Services can be held if you wish without a viewing. Then have an afterwards park or house get together with everyone bring a dish. Have a nice framed picture/s of the deceased on the coffin which you can get at Costco's. Go to a church grave yard seems to be cheaper there.
To my understanding the funeral homes are catching on and are upping the prices of the cremations besides it is better this way with the get together.
You could even do a eulogy at a church if you wish right before the body arrives then out side for the funeral then off to the park or someones home for potluck.

Any more suggestions someone might want to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
I not sure what you're asking, exactly, but I will comment on my on personal opinion. When my daughter passed away suddenly, we decided to have her remains cremated. I am selfish and I want her with me, always. I knew we were not going to continue to live where we were living at the time, and I couldn't bury her and move away. I plan to be cremated, as do all 3 of my siblings, husband, and even my mom. I have no desire to be buried, I prefer they take whatever organs work, and cremate me. End of story.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 PM

I can understand that. There are a few people I know of who's homes look like Morgues from cremations. But they enjoy having the urns around I know.

You can also provide the clothes yourself by bring a favorite suit or set of clothes the deceased wore.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:54 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
I don't want the worms to get me.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 PM

I say family ran because alot of them are being bought out by big corporations and the mark up on the prices are sky high more so then a family ran one anyways. Family ran Funeral homes are cheaper and more personalized. Just ask if they are owned and and operated by the family. As opposed to being ran by family and owned my corporation.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
I don't want to be worm food....

Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Have a funeral that fits your family's needs and costs. Traditional funerals seem to be the norm however you don't have to have the "norm". I'm not opposed to cremation and personally I think it's best. However many people seem to have issues with that. It's the decision that should be made by people ahead of time and let their loved ones know what their wishes are.

I like a "celebration of life" gathering and not a funeral. A celebration of life is simply a large gathering of family and friends who celebrate the life of the deceased, without all the typical funeral issues (that's taken care of earlier). More of a party to remember someone by seems easier and less stressful on many people. Everyone likes a "party" that is positive instead of remembering the negative sick days of someone, you simply look at all the positive things their life meant to so many others.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:30 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
I'm opting for cremation after whatever organs they decide they want are removed. I want to go into the ocean.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:03 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Id presonally rather be cremated. I'd rather not be buried in the ground with worms and bugs stuck in a box in the dark. Im claustrophobic. Yeah I realize I probably wont care when im dead but who really knows. My soul might be screaming for the rest of eternity because im locked in a box. No, cremate me and scatter me to the wind.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:05 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,308,704 times
My Mama has her's all paid for, complete with her body donated to science. There will be nothing to cremate or put in the ground. She has a small jewelry box which has my Dad's love letters to her that she wants placed at the foot of his grave. That's all paid for as well.
She wants an "Ice Cream Social" instead of a funeral. And yes, she has all the arrangements made and paid for. The whole thing will be catered by friends of hers who own an old fashioned icecream parlor.
We've known about all this for years.

As for me, I will be creamated and my pulverized ashes will be placed in a large Hour Glass, so I will finally have that marvelous figure I always wanted. These arrangements I have already made, and are paid for, as well as the Hour Glass which I bought some years ago in an antique shop. It is in the bottom of my closet. I have asked for everyone to come and have BBQ with all the fixins, Georgia style, and the music I have made myself on a CD.
As for DH, I didn't give him a choice, and he's good with it. He understands me more than anyone next to God, and has let me choose what I want, as he most always does with everything. He loves me. He takes good care of me, and wants me to be happy, so he's fine with my wants on this. He will be creamated as well, his ashes will be contained in a sealed bag and placed inside a DH sized cloth "doll" that I have made myself, and it will wear his clothes and aftershave and will sleep in my bed until I am gone too. I cannot bear the thought of him not being with me! Weird, as I've been told often enough, but it comforts me now and I know it will then... that's IF he goes before me, because I am much older than him. But you never know, so our plans are made and done.

My son Nathan also has his own plan. He wants beetles to clean the flesh from his bones, and have his skeleton strung back together. He wants to be left in peace in his favorite recliner, with an unlit cigarette in one hand and a long neck Bud in the other. He also wants his aviator glasses on his face and his Fire Cap on his head. And lastly, he wants his favorite jeans on to cover his "man junk" and legs. I told him there wouldn't be any "man junk" left after the beetles had eaten it, but he said it was a matter of dignity. Okay with me! He's paying for what he wants done, so I have no problem with it. He also has asked to be kept at the Fire Station, but he hasn't had clearance on that as yet. Otherwise, he will be here in my den, staring at the tv through mirrored glasses.
The thing is, there are many ways to honor the dead, and if you plan ahead, there will be no bill for anyone to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning