Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times

Advertisements

I want cremation because I'm a land conservation freak and because I don't want anyplace that my family feels they have to go and check on things or pay homage.

I'm an organ donor - my spouse and I have both arranged to have what is left of our bodies after harvesting transported to an orthopaedics teaching lab in Memphis (at their cost), where they teach new techniques in surgery to physicians. I was in the medical field for almost 19 years and spouse is a pharmacist - it seems fitting. After 1 year we are cremated (at their cost) and our remains are returned to the family (at their cost) or can be buried in a garden at the facility (at their cost). One call after our death sets the wheels in motion. My sons are fine with this.

If my family chooses to receive my ashes, I want part of them scattered in the Caribbean - vacation's on me for that one - and part spread in the Mississippi delta, the only place I ever really felt at home and a place I miss with all my heart. I don't figure my ashes will take up much room there :-)

This is no cost for the family, and one call does it all. I just don't want to put the burden of a funeral on the family, even a pre-planned one....we all feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,308,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What happens to the DH doll when you're gone? Better make sure he isn't tossed into the Goodwill bag!
I just read your question to my guys, and my youngest son Trey said, "I'm gonna keep Dad right there in his chair and dare anyone to move or touch him, and I can't wait for somebody to ask me what's up with the doll and I'll tell them, That's no doll! That's my Dad!!!"
We've been in here laughing ever since.
No we aren't strange people. We just love, know and understand each other very well. Actually the line of responsibility is well documented and tied directly to inheritance. If you want the property and money, then you get the hour glass, the "Body Bag" as DH refers to his future remains, and a Halloween decoration. So it's all settled and everyone is happy with it.
Trey says we are keeping the family together no matter what. Gotta love that kid!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Every October 30th, we go out to the cemetery to plant flowers around the graves of my father and my grandmother. My brother brings the shovels, I bring the potting soil, and my mother brings the flowers. We work in silence mostly, and are done in about 30 minutes. My mother and sister comment on how nice the flowers look and then we return to our cars and drive away.

This is why I wish to be cremated.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:24 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I have no desire to be buried, I prefer they take whatever organs work, and cremate me. End of story.
Our sentiments exactly!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:30 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
I am to be cremated and my ashes tossed anywhere but in water, with my spirit crossed over there is no need for my physical body to be stuck in the ground somewhere. I don't do flowers now and I don't need them after I cross over either. My husband knows what I want and if he happens to be crossed over before me his daughter knows what to do wtih me. No service, no memorial, just toss me in the burning barrel, claim me in a plain box and toss those ashes somewhere. The only other requirement is that I have a brand new unopened pack of cigarettes and my favorite lighter put in with me when I am cremated oh yeah, and NO SHOES ON or socks, I HATE my feet being covered when I am trying to sleep and I HATE shoes and socks.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Cremation over burial?
Because embalming and burying dead bodies is gross and a HUGE waste of space.

Cremate me and toss my ashes into the ocean off of Kaena point.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times
There are no worms six feet down- cremation is just a foolish attempt to avoid death ....as if some how you escape the gloom of decay...It is un-natural..With decay- nature slowly cremates you - with cremation- a human being has to set the process in motion...the match must be struck- All I own in this world is a grave in the family plot...I hate the fact that they force you to be put in a box- I would like a simple white satin shroud...and be put in the cool earth....The other rule I don't like is that our grave yard now insists we buy these expensive concrete vaults to put the coffin in...saying that it is for health reasons...

The ground is dry and sandy...on high ground and the place has been in existence for 200 years without a problem...On the other hand if I could have a tomb...I would like that...who knows _ I might just be Jesus after all...LOL.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:26 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
My husband was cremated, and I have his ashes. I want cremation, too. We agreed whomever went first, the other would keep the ashes, and when both of us were gone, the kids (all four & families) would take us to Hawai'i, which we loved, and scatter us off the rocks at Kaupo, up the road from Lindbergh's grave. The kids get a Hawai'ian vacation, we get to travel the world on the currents (or the belly of a fish), and all is well.

My mom died when I was 15, and my dad bought a double plot in our church's cemetary. A few years later, he was transferred from NYC to Denver, he remarried, and 30 years later, he and my step-mom died within weeks of each other. Both were cremated, and their ashes were buried on our property, in the shadow of Pikes Peak. Then, dh died, and I moved to AZ. I haven't seen my mom's grave since we moved to CO in 1970; I haven't been back to my parent's resting place in two years as I sold the house, so I don't want to be in the ground where my kids won't visit as all four are in different states no where near AZ. Society is so mobile these days, most people don't stay put in one place all that long, so it seems kind of silly to pay for the casket, funeral, cemetary plot and headstone when chances are your kids and grandkids won't be living near your grave to visit. I'd rather have my body be in a place where I had wonderful times, and for us, that was Hawai'i.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:03 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There are no worms six feet down- cremation is just a foolish attempt to avoid death ....as if some how you escape the gloom of decay...It is un-natural..With decay- nature slowly cremates you - with cremation- a human being has to set the process in motion...the match must be struck- All I own in this world is a grave in the family plot...I hate the fact that they force you to be put in a box- I would like a simple white satin shroud...and be put in the cool earth....The other rule I don't like is that our grave yard now insists we buy these expensive concrete vaults to put the coffin in...saying that it is for health reasons...

The ground is dry and sandy...on high ground and the place has been in existence for 200 years without a problem...On the other hand if I could have a tomb...I would like that...who knows _ I might just be Jesus after all...LOL.
"cremation is just a foolish attempt to avoid death"

Really? You know that you're already dead when cremated. I don't have a spot in the family plot. It's full. Cemeteries put you in a concrete vault so that they don't have to deal with potholes.

I don't want the family to spend thousands of dollars planting me. That money could be used for other things. Have you paid for the casket and burial fees? If not, you get what you get.

I love visiting cemeteries. The monuments and statuary are exquisite. Pere Lachaise is a beauty. I stopped and said hello to Edith Piaf.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Cheaper. Takes up less room than a burial. Rotting is not appealing.

How much cheaper would you estimate? I heard they've jacked up the price of cremation as more people opt out of expensive burials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning