Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,451,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
The VA should hire more people then. I understand the wounded warriors need help post haste but the families of Vets should be able to bury their dead in a timely fashion also. 7 months after he died?? That is ludicrious. A slap in the face to the vet and his family.

Macrina, this is exactly the place you should be discussing your decisions.
I'm not going to disagree with that, but you are aware of the "sequester". The guvmint been cutting jobs.

Heck, it takes Social Security at least 8 weeks to get up to speed on a death.

Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,125,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
I'm not going to disagree with that, but you are aware of the "sequester". The guvmint been cutting jobs.

Posted with TapaTalk
Dat true but this was over a year before "sequester" raised its head. It still just hurts that my love was "on ice" for 7 months. It always will if or when I think about it.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,751,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I have no quibble with your desire to be buried. But "I want a body for the resurrection" sounds as if your god is not capable of remaking your human form from its ashes.

I don't know about yours (if, indeed, you believe in one), but I can assure your ours will have no problem resurrecting us if cremated.

In fact, the "Hah! Resurrect that!" mentality of centuries ago, denying God's ability to "remake" from cremated ashes the human form that He created, is why cremation was at one time not allowed in the Catholic church.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:59 AM

283 posts, read 727,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunegames View Post
The plot you paid for will likely be unvisited and disinterred after a generation or two for resale.
How common is this? I wonder what the cemetery would do with the ashes/dust inside a concrete/metal burial vault or an urn that was buried.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:38 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,795,250 times
I hope I get cremated. I would hate to be in a box for the rest of eternity with worms crawling out of my ears and all.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:55 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,341,739 times
My will states cremation, no wake or funeral, have a party and a few friends take a vacation to my fave spots in the NW and spread my ashes so I may return to mother earth that way. My fave spots are very remote and mostly up in my beloved Cascades, oh and a few sprinkles in the ocean somewhere along the Oregon coast.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:27 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,729,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post

Posted with TapaTalk

Really ?

within 2 weeks of my wife's death I received a phone call from a SS office asking me a few questions and stating that the SS death allowance would soon be direct deposited in our checking account.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 562 times
One thing people might not realize is that you don't HAVE to purchase a cremation container from the mortuary. According to FTC rules they have to accept any container you furnish to them.

The FTC Funeral Rule | Consumer Information

To be upfront, my company makes cremation urns and sells directly to the public, but there are a lot of us out there. But like with any purchase, shopping around, and even planning ahead can save you a lot of money and get a better product in your hands.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:34 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,507,102 times
I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread at my beloved cottage that has brought me so much pleasure.

To me, being buried in a cemetery is for the remaining family to visit their departed one's grave. Some visit the grave, some don't.

If you think about it, after your children and grandchildren (and all direct ancestors who know you) are gone, who will ever meaningfully visit your grave, EVER again? What's the point of it?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 AM

18,457 posts, read 18,615,707 times
I visited my gran and uncles grave many years ago every Sunday with flowers.. I was young but accompanied my aunt who would sit crying while I tidies a babys grave near ours.... I found it peaceful and comforting to be honest, and have been back a few times in the past couple of years. sadly its all overgrown and its hard to tell exaclty what lair it is... I think she my aunt was the only one out of a big family of eight who visited , I would still go myself but only if I had company as its deserted most of the time and unsavoury characters roam about it.. I also visited my fathers grave in England four years ago... I had never known him and it gave me satisfaction to go there and sit a while and think... so who knows whats the best..... Im sad that I have nowhere to visit my mum though as she was cremated out of choice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning