Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:22 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Advertisements

Someone gave me the idea of making a quilt out of all my spouse's T-shirts (something he loved collecting). Even if it just turns into a blanket for the cats, it will be nice to have around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,412,251 times
My father recently passed away and I'll be cleaning out his house soon. Thankfully it's a small house and his possessions are minimal. I know it's still going to be hard though... Naturally this has me thinking about all the 'stuff' I'm going to leave behind. Now whenever I go into a store like Bed, Bath & Beyond or Pier 1, I think to myself these stores should really be called 'All the junk I'm going to leave behind when I die'.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
If you do make something or give it away....maybe take a good picture of it first as it is now...or look for an old photograph of your relative wearing it.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
If you do make something or give it away....maybe take a good picture of it first as it is now...or look for an old photograph of your relative wearing it.
Good idea, Jan!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:23 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
When my Mother crosses over my Brother is going to keep what he wants and the rest is going to be sold, donated or trashed whichever is the most appropriate.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:29 PM

25 posts, read 34,119 times
I LOVE LibraGirl123's suggestion on donating the fur to help orphaned wildlife! Anytime you can help another person (or creature) I feel it helps the grieving process. It sounds like your not crazy about the object itself but the memory it holds. So what I have found helpful to me now that space is more of an issue... I take a photo of the object, write about the person who owned it and all about the memories the item holds; then put the photos of all my treasured items in a scrapbook. I still have the memories and they only take up a small amount of shelf space.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 PM

142 posts, read 252,293 times
Selling things in a consignment store will give someone else the pleasure of owning your loved one's coat and clothes.

You could keep something that has meaning to you, something small. It isn't easy parting with these items. But at the saame time, if you are moving, you'll need to keep to a minimum for ease of moving. Definately keep small items. Deciding what to do, that's the tough part.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
I am in the process of giving some of my Mom's items to a few cousins. It's been eight months since she died, and I feel I'm ready. I'm glad I waited this long, as I didn't do anything impulsively or that I might regret later. I tried to match the item to the recipient -- e.g., the cousin who loves jewelry and all-things-Irish is getting Mom's claddagh necklace from Ireland. Another cousin who admired Mom's Lladro figurine is getting it. A cousin who was always sending my Mom funny/silly cards and mementos is getting back the "dammit doll" she sent Mom, who had gotten quite a kick out of it and kept it on the kitchen counter. I think/hope this "bequeathment" process will really help ease my grief and help me move on with my life.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:30 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
This Christmas everyone in the family will receive some gift from my husband. I wasn't together enough to do it last Christmas.

The nearby homeless shelter also will receive gifts of his winter coats and warm clothing, a VCR and some tapes for the lounge, and anything else they might need that I have and don't need.

It's been almost a year (October 29), and I'm starting to feel the need to clear out not only some of the stuff in the house, but also the cobwebs in my head.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I am in the process of giving some of my Mom's items to a few cousins. It's been eight months since she died, and I feel I'm ready. I'm glad I waited this long, as I didn't do anything impulsively or that I might regret later. I tried to match the item to the recipient -- e.g., the cousin who loves jewelry and all-things-Irish is getting Mom's claddagh necklace from Ireland. Another cousin who admired Mom's Lladro figurine is getting it. A cousin who was always sending my Mom funny/silly cards and mementos is getting back the "dammit doll" she sent Mom, who had gotten quite a kick out of it and kept it on the kitchen counter. I think/hope this "bequeathment" process will really help ease my grief and help me move on with my life.
I am sorry about your mom. That is a very thoughtful way to handle things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning