U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,176,988 times

Advertisements

Gerania...I can relate to food. I had to make a vow to stick with "simple" and "basic" for right now because my creativity in the kitchen seems to be at an all time "low." YUKKO!...Years ago I shipped my "floral creations" to craft stores and malls across the country. (Filled orders.)...One day a store owner called and asked if I was "okay." This was right after my Dad died...She said the "new stuff" I'd been sending her seemed really "dark." And different than my usual designs...I hadn't been paying much attention to what I was doing. But it "hit me" that I was using a lot of dark-colored ribbon. (Navy blue etc.)...And I had a tendency to "over-decorate." I didn't know when to stop...Some of my "stuff" looked like "overgrown gardens" or ??...I'm probably out of "whack" when it comes to my cooking right now too. I guess death and "loss" can affect us in so many different ways...Thanks for bringing up cooking. It's been a problem for me too lately...I try to "step lightly" when it comes to everything I do...Guess it's easy to become "off-kilter" without even realizing it at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 AM

21,438 posts, read 18,155,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sometime I too feel like a rebellious teenager <-- (there's supposed to be a comma in there somewhere) and sometimes I feel like a small and stupid child. It's different every day.

In the last couple of months I've forgotten, missed, every event that I might have possibly wanted to attend: the lecture, the guided tour, the harvest festival. :::sigh::: This month I've become "the destroyer of food". It's really very disappointing as I used to be a rather good cook.

I shouldn't say this without telling the back story but, I don't feel like doing that right now and no one can make me! (rebellious teenager) Last night my mother told me that I wasn't going to heaven. Thaaaanks Moooom.

Grab your coat and get your hat
Leave your worries on the doorstep
Life can be so sweet
On the sunny side of the street
Awww, Gerania, that wasn't nice of Mother. (((HUGS))) Musta been one of those "elderly moments".

Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 PM

22,714 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Thanks tami. I'm pretty sure it was something like that.

I've spent two years trying to help her get her affairs in order so, it wasn't something which we didn't discuss. I told her that I had recently drawn up a new will and was, yet again, reorganizing my paper and files. I guess that she assumed that I was planning on checking out. I'm sure that she was just frightened. I sort of lost it when she started shouting at me.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Thanks tami. I'm pretty sure it was something like that.

I've spent two years trying to help her get her affairs in order so, it wasn't something which we didn't discuss. I told her that I had recently drawn up a new will and was, yet again, reorganizing my paper and files. I guess that she assumed that I was planning on checking out. I'm sure that she was just frightened. I sort of lost it when she started shouting at me.
(((HUGS))) for both you and Mom today.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 AM

I sold my truck to my friend and her husband after my husband passed away and kept the car...To be honest the truck needed some repair work and my friend's husband is a great mechanic...The truck was really "cool." My husband bought it for me in the 90's. (We had gift stores at the time and needed a truck for hauling.)...Anyway the truck was a pretty burgandy color with stripes on the side and a burgandy colored camper shell too. It was automatic versus stick-shift...Selling the truck to my friend meant that I could still see it and ride in it at times or just "visit it" at her house...Well the night before my son died (Sept. 4th) we had a fluke storm in our area with flash flooding and strong tornado-like winds...The wind gusts blew an RV and metal buildings around in my friend's yard and completely demolished the truck! Sad!...So my son died on Sept. 5th and my truck died the night before. And my car ended-up having a blown head gasket!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I sold my truck to my friend and her husband after my husband passed away and kept the car...To be honest the truck needed some repair work and my friend's husband is a great mechanic...The truck was really "cool." My husband bought it for me in the 90's. (We had gift stores at the time and needed a truck for hauling.)...Anyway the truck was a pretty burgandy color with stripes on the side and a burgandy colored camper shell too. It was automatic versus stick-shift...Selling the truck to my friend meant that I could still see it and ride in it at times or just "visit it" at her house...Well the night before my son died (Sept. 4th) we had a fluke storm in our area with flash flooding and strong tornado-like winds...The wind gusts blew an RV and metal buildings around in my friend's yard and completely demolished the truck! Sad!...So my son died on Sept. 5th and my truck died the night before. And my car ended-up having a blown head gasket!
I did that with Earl's truck too, CA. I can see it when I go past the kid's house and it makes me smile saying "hello" to it.

What a devestating two days that was for you! I can't even begin to imagine the pain for all of you who have lost a child. By child I mean a child of ANY age. That is so not right in the scheme of life.

Plus your old truck was kind of like losing your hubby all over again. You felt like he wasn't really "gone" with seeing that truck whenever. I so understand. (((HUGS)))

Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 PM

971 posts, read 1,134,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I did that with Earl's truck too, CA. I can see it when I go past the kid's house and it makes me smile saying "hello" to it.

What a devestating two days that was for you! I can't even begin to imagine the pain for all of you who have lost a child. By child I mean a child of ANY age. That is so not right in the scheme of life.

Plus your old truck was kind of like losing your hubby all over again. You felt like he wasn't really "gone" with seeing that truck whenever. I so understand. (((HUGS)))
I haven't contributed much in the way of help for awhile. Tami made me feel so good when she said I was "normal", I have been getting a lot of stuff done around the house I had been letting go. But like CA said, sometimes the "curveballs" tend to pile up, so I might remind you of a couple of Female songs I always enjoyed hearing. One said, "I can do anything, I am woman". The other was " These boots are made for walking and I will walk all over you", when the curveballs happen. That's the way my wife was and we sure had a lot of curveball's in our 53 1/2 years together.

Like Tami, I took my favorite "T-Bird" to Texas for my youngest daughter to use. Put on new tires and battery so she wouldn't have much expense for a couple of years only to get t-boned in an intersection by a driver of a stolen car in the forth month. The driver was never caught. Another curveball.

(((GOOD JOB~CA)))(((HUGS TO ALL)))

Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,742,826 times
I sold Bob's truck, too. A friend bought it but since I moved out of state, I haven't seen it. It was a 2004 F-150 shortbed with bed liner and cover. Another friend bought Bob's Mustang. He's a collector. The Mustang was a 1998 GT with a sun roof. The radio never worked and had to be replaced a couple of times, but otherwise it was a good car. I kept my car and it's still going strong.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 AM

Bluff_Dweller...Life is definitely full of "curve-balls!" Sorry that your "T-Bird" got hit after you gave it to your daughter. Glad she's okay...Someone smacked into the back fender of my "new car" in a parking lot and took off...Can't help but ask: "What's next?" Or: "Now what??"...Could use a little "smooth sailing" and stability for just a little while so I can catch my "bearings!"...Sorry you lost your wife. I sure miss my husband. He had a way of helping me stay "sane" too...His favorite song was "Celebrate" by "Kool and the Gang." He had a way of making simple little things in life a "big deal!" I miss hearing him sing "Celebrate!"

Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 AM

Tami...I'm glad your husband's truck is still part of your family...I tend to get really "attached" to my vehicles. Sounds like you do too...I want to keep everyone and every "thing" around forever! But taken to extreme this causes some people to become "major hoarders." I'm glad I'm not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or