U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM

363 posts, read 405,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
tngirl..I'm glad you had such a wonderful day with your adopted granddaughter..Christmas week was easier for me and this past week seemed harder and I even ended-up getting sick. But I still did okay and found a way to make it through each day...The holidays are over now. Nothing much going on until Valentine's Day...I'm glad my husband and I didn't go "ga-ga" over Valentine's Day...He always gave me a nice card and some type of chocolate candy. But we didn't do special "sweetheart stuff" on Valentine's Day like we might do for our anniversary or birthdays..It was just a time to "play kids" and eat candy...It was even more fun to buy candy on sale after Valentine's Day and hunt for "deals!"...How did you and your husband celebrate Valentine's Day? How about everyone else?...My husband and I hardly ever went out to eat right on Valentine's Day to avoid all the crowds. We might go to a restaurant the night before or the day after Valentine's Day. How about you?
We usually didn't do much either. He always got me a card....one year he got me a stuff animal, a weiner dog (we have a real one) that said along the body, "I love you this much." I still have it sitting over my bed's headboard. I always will. In the latter years, when he could not get out to get a card, he felt so bad and would apologize. I always told him it was ok, and I would cook him something special. His appetite was always good!

Actually, we always treated each other like every day was Valentine's Day, we knew how much we loved each other. I sure do miss that, but will always have him in my heart.

tngirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,175,549 times
Tami...Wow! I don't think I've ever had a 10 pound box of candy! Did Earl help you eat the candy?...I was never a big fan of Valentine's Day not even as a kid...But I enjoy having a special reason to eat candy. I didn't get enough "treats" during the holidays this year. Maybe I'll have to go overboard and make up for it on Valentine's Day or Easter...Maybe I should ask Cupid or the Easter Bunny to make extra stops at my house with truckloads full of candy and holiday "treats." Cupid doesn't need to bring me a "new love" right now though...Just candy!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM

21,433 posts, read 18,150,188 times
Quote:
Tami...Wow! I don't think I've ever had a 10 pound box of candy! Did Earl help you eat the candy?...I was never a big fan of Valentine's Day not even as a kid...But I enjoy having a special reason to eat candy. I didn't get enough "treats" during the holidays this year. Maybe I'll have to go overboard and make up for it on Valentine's Day or Easter...Maybe I should ask Cupid or the Easter Bunny to make extra stops at my house with truckloads full of candy and holiday "treats." Cupid doesn't need to bring me a "new love" right now though...Just candy!
NO, CA!!!! He wasn't a candy fan. He "made me" eat it all by my onesies! He never made that "mistake" again. Flowers and stuffed animals were it from then on.

TG back in those days the only thing that put wieght back on me was the prednisone. I kept it off for 7 years despite that 10 lber.

The only time there is candy in the house is at Halloween time and that is one tough time for me. If it's there, I will eat it.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM

Tami...Congrats on losing all the weight and keeping candy out of the house..My husband never gained weight and he always had his favorite snacks around..I don't keep many snacks on hand like he did. It's not my "thing." But I do crave chocolate once in awhile and pastries like banana nut bread or poppy seed muffins etc..My husband was the baker in the family not me...So there's not many "treats" around anymore. It's kind of bland and boring here now.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Tami...Congrats on losing all the weight and keeping candy out of the house..My husband never gained weight and he always had his favorite snacks around..I don't keep many snacks on hand like he did. It's not my "thing." But I do crave chocolate once in awhile and pastries like banana nut bread or poppy seed muffins etc..My husband was the baker in the family not me...So there's not many "treats" around anymore. It's kind of bland and boring here now.
Thanks, CA, but that is in the past. My doctor gave me a pneumonia shot in '01 and it activated my MS bigtime! Both my arms and hands were paralyzed and I was on prednisone for months. I gained back all 85 lbs and then some. I've never tried to lose again because losing it the first time took so much out of me and I'm just about 20 years older and don't have the incentive. I was a "babe" and I don't want to be again. I want to be fat and frumpy. I know, I'm weird.

Being the "babe", I sure learned a lot about people. When I was fat, most guys never looked at me. When I was a "babe" they fell all over me although I was still the same person, just the packaging had changed. "Kids" who never once spoke to me or acknowledged I was alive in jr and sn HS, chatted me up like we had been friends for all those 6 years. Now that I'm fat again, guys who lusted after me can't give me the time of day anymore. I've learned that the men and women who like me when I am fat are the true nice people in my life.

BTW, the first impression Earl had of me was the fat one. He saw me as a person and not a "babe" but loved me anyway and then he got his "babe".

Last edited by tamiznluv; 01-09-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 AM

tamiznluv...I can totally relate to what you wrote. After my first marriage ended I went through a "blonde bombshell" period for awhile to make-up for getting married so young. (I guess.)...But after awhile I got bored with all of it. I didn't want to be every man's "dream woman" anymore. I just wanted to be "me" and true to myself...I started focusing on my own goals and dreams. And my "inner self" versus just my "outer self."...Today I don't want "unwarranted attention" from men either. I just want to "blend in" and do my own "thing" and come and go freely...It feels good to be out of the "race" and competition. Sounds like you feel this way too! Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
tamiznluv...I can totally relate to what you wrote. After my first marriage ended I went through a "blonde bombshell" period for awhile to make-up for getting married so young. (I guess.)...But after awhile I got bored with all of it. I didn't want to be every man's "dream woman" anymore. I just wanted to be "me" and true to myself...I started focusing on my own goals and dreams. And my "inner self" versus just my "outer self."...Today I don't want "unwarranted attention" from men either. I just want to "blend in" and do my own "thing" and come and go freely...It feels good to be out of the "race" and competition. Sounds like you feel this way too! Thanks for sharing.
CA, I'm going to reply over in the intro/chat/happy thread so we don't keep this thred OT, OK?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM

I hope everyone has an okay and even pleasant day tomorrow. (Valentine's Day.) Just checking in to say "hi!"

Old 02-14-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
I hope everyone has an okay and even pleasant day tomorrow. (Valentine's Day.) Just checking in to say "hi!"
Good to hear from you CA!! Happy Valentine's Day to my sista!!

I bought MYSELF a Valentine's present....a new recliner. And am giving my old recliner to the family that bought our couch from the old house. It's a young family who is thrilled with it. It is such a good feeling to give it to them. I probably could try to sell it, but giving is much better than receiving.

I know Jim will be smiling down on me today, as he always does, and I'm sure Bruce will be doing the same with you.

tngirl

Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 PM

Default Valentine's Day

Well, as the day is nearing to a close, I find myself sort of down in the dumps. I have tried to keep a cheerful front, but truth of the matter is, I am sad. I know what it is, I miss Jim. This is our first Valentine's Day without each other. I guess what triggered it is that several of the girls at work got boquets of flowers from their SO, one got a big chocolate cake with chocolate-dipped strawberries....it just made me realize I am all alone.

Yes, I'm sitting in my new recliner that I bought myself, typing this, but it can't come close to making me feel much better. Just watched the news about all the happy couples that have found love and I just so miss that. I miss the companionship mostly, as well as the love.

Today is my daughter's birthday, and I called to wish her a happy birthday, and she was getting ready to go out to dinner with her SO. Other than work, that is the only contact I have had with anyone today.

I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day, I'm trying to stay positive, but I am surprised that this holiday has affected me this way. I just expected it to be another day.

Thanks for listening.

tngirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning