Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you like to be buried naked?
Yes, Cann't wait. 13 24.07%
No way. 33 61.11%
Maybe 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 08:57 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally my answer is none of the above as I want to be cremated, but I see no issue with this at all. If that is what someone wants I don't see why anyone would argue against it. As far as the viewing I would think draping the person with a sheet makes sense unless they specifically said they want that to be nude as well.
Exactly this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 04:44 AM

577 posts, read 493,108 times
"How would you feel if a loved one chose to be buried naked?"

Wow, a odd request IMO. But ones burial wishes should be honored, IF the survivor/executor agreed to them.

But I must say that I believe a person should think a bit, about allowing themselves to be put in the "possible" situation of being seen nude by loved ones, after they are deceased. Because the situation may not be taken the same by every person seeing their lifeless body.

IE: My sister came home one day and found her beloved husband of 50 years lying dead on the floor. He was totally naked and lying just outside of the bathroom door, where he was exiting after his shower. She mentioned how she had found him dead and nude too often to us, during her grieving stages.

We all could see the situation really bothered her. Probably due to fact that her husband was a very modest man, and would not had have ever wanted his wife to find him both dead, and nude. But my BIL the same as most people, did not know when his last breath would be taken.

So at my "older" age now, I never exit the shower room with out wearing a robe with my undies on. As I do not ever want to put my wife through any additional upset. Especially one that would probably require her to have to put eye bleach.... on her eyes.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:13 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
There is a quite a bit of difference in our minds sexual stimulation sensors whenever we view our loved ones live nude body, as opposed to viewing their dead nude body.
Dead nude bodies aren't very pretty, especially if lividity (stiffness) and rigor mortis (pooling of blood in the areas closest to the ground) have set in. The bladder and intestines may have released their contents. The eyes and the mouth may be partly open. I haven't gotten the image of DH after his death out of my mind but he was covered, there were no "fluids", and lividity and rigor mortis hadn't set in, so it wasn't all that traumatic.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:04 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,046 times
We buried my mother in her most comfortable set of pajamas, with fuzzy socks (because it was January and her feet were always cold). She died at home, and our favorite home health aide drove across the county to help me bathe her.

I'm going to be cremated. Do they dress people for that?

Old 05-20-2019, 01:28 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,015 times
ERH, I'm not sure. I don't imagine I'll be dressed before my personal "barbecue", but that's what I've elected to do. There will be no "Oh, she looks so good" comments at my service. (Hearing people say that when viewing the deceased in their caskets just makes me cringe and wonder what in the hell is wrong with them? AND, I am of the viewpoint that if I wasn't good enough to be seen while I was alive, why in the world would you want to see me when I'm dead? Unless you need confirmation of my demise ).
I'm all for people making their arrangements and wishes known while they are still of sound mind & body. Want to be buried naked? Why not? You're buried in the same suit that you were born with.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
ERH, I'm not sure. I don't imagine I'll be dressed before my personal "barbecue", but that's what I've elected to do.
Dad is going to be shrouded in my late mother's wedding gown before he's cremated. That's so sweet that I can't believe my brother the accountant thought of it when we (including Dad) were throwing around ideas of what to do with it.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:02 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,154 times
I don't want to be buried. I can't imagine anything more disturbing. Cremate me and scatter my ashes in nature. Let me nourish the flowers and trees and critters and let me become a part of life's creative flow.

Naked works for me.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 06-05-2019 at 12:18 AM..

Old 06-05-2019, 12:10 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Dead nude bodies aren't very pretty, especially if lividity (stiffness) and rigor mortis (pooling of blood in the areas closest to the ground) have set in. The bladder and intestines may have released their contents. The eyes and the mouth may be partly open. I haven't gotten the image of DH after his death out of my mind but he was covered, there were no "fluids", and lividity and rigor mortis hadn't set in, so it wasn't all that traumatic.
This may seem an odd comment, but thank you for this. I was not present when my partner passed in the hospice unit and I could not bring myself to drive over and see her lying dead in the room. Just couldn't. I felt her spirit with me at home and I wanted to remember her as I saw her last: alive. Your post has emphasized this to me in a way I needed to know. Thank you. I no longer feel guilty about not going.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:03 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
I don't want to be buried. I can't imagine anything more disturbing. Cremate me and scatter my ashes in nature. Let me nourish the flowers and trees and critters and let me become a part of life's creative flow.

Naked works for me.
We come into the world naked so why not leave the same way..

Old 06-05-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
This may seem an odd comment, but thank you for this. I was not present when my partner passed in the hospice unit and I could not bring myself to drive over and see her lying dead in the room. Just couldn't. I felt her spirit with me at home and I wanted to remember her as I saw her last: alive. Your post has emphasized this to me in a way I needed to know. Thank you. I no longer feel guilty about not going.
I'm glad it helped. Now that I think of it, DH made a similar decision when his elderly mother died in the hospital a few days after a serious stroke. They called him and told him she'd died and asked if he wanted to see her body. He said no and it was sent on to the crematorium. He just felt that what was left was a "shell" and he didn't need to be there. DH LOVED his mother. She'd worked hard to raise him and his 2 siblings after their father left them and always spoke fondly of the last year or so when she lived with him because she couldn't live on her own. He mentioned that decision a few times and never with regret.

If there's one thing I've learned from my interactions with bereaved people since DH died, it's that we all handle the loss differently. There's no single "right" way.

To get back closer to the OT- when DH died he was wearing a "Kansas City Tour de Bier" T-shirt from a charity bike ride I'd done. He was cremated in that. I think he would have found it funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning