Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times

Advertisements

I guess I can only echo the statements by others who have considered the loss of those they love to be somewhat instructive. My Wife has been gone five years now and I'm remarried to a wonderful gal that also lost her husband to cancer. We talk about the lessons we have learned throughout our life, and one big lesson is the awakening to the fact of our eventual demise. Life is indeed short, and it can be shortened by endeavoring in those things that aren't in our own best interest, hatred, envy, anger, and a lack of honesty and caring can really make one ill, love, cooperation, respect, and a quiet mind is just what the Doctor ordered. Living a long life may be due to a genetic advantage, but, living a GOOD life is a matter of practice. We pay tribute to those who have passed before us by living a life of giving, we can't give the gift of life but we can give the gifts that allow for a better life. We won't be taking any of our stuff with us at the end, so------give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM

90 posts, read 178,017 times
My husband died in an accident at work. It's been a long time but I still have definite times that I struggle w/ sadness, anger, just a lot of stuff.
Death has taught me to be very self sufficient and not depend on anyone and to always follow my gut instinct no matter how silly or off the wall it might seem.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:36 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy508 View Post
My husband died in an accident at work. It's been a long time but I still have definite times that I struggle w/ sadness, anger, just a lot of stuff.
Death has taught me to be very self sufficient and not depend on anyone and to always follow my gut instinct no matter how silly or off the wall it might seem.
I'm sorry to hear of your hubby's death, izzy. Those are good things to have learned. Peace.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 AM

395 posts, read 707,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Today is the wedding anniversary of my father and stepmother, my stepmother who passed away almost 2 months ago.

I've been teetering between grieving and a happy face, but have been doing better. Today I got to thinking, it would be nice for all of us to share the positive experiences that have come after the death of someone we love. Not that anyone ever rejoices in death obviously, but I'm sure there are lessons we have all taken away in our hearts.

My stepmother:

-Inspired me even though she was 99% certain she wouldn't live a whole year after her diagnosis. She smiled until the end, and taught us to "only allow 15 minutes of self pity a day"
-"It's just a car" AKA material things are just that, material things
-Brought me closer to my father, as I am a huge level of support now

Obviously I want her back, and would give anything, but I think it's just as fair that we celebrate what they have left behind for us. Look forward to seeing what you all have learned.
Embrace the past, learn from it and take the positive thing forward into the present and future.
Live for both the current with a steadfast look on the future (it's a fine balance)
Leave a positive impact in any capacity you can
Simplify you life. The happiness you see in commercials on tv has nothing to do with real happiness.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Life is precious. In an instant, your life can change.

The innocence and fragility in not knowing, feeling vulnerable, and just being.. makes the adventure all worth while.

So, love like it's your last, and remember to tell the people you love most how much they matter (even through the smallest actions- nothing extravagant or showy).

Enjoy the simple moments in life.

Cherish!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
That you cant control things in life, especially other people, and/or their illness.

That being grateful for life is an individual process after losing a loved one.

My Mom passed in a tragic accident. It was a horrible learning experience, but I did learn to value my own life more after going through shock/trauma. Every person in grief goes through a different experience, its important to respect their feelings.

best wishes and thoughts to everyone here who has been through this.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM

142 posts, read 252,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Life is precious. In an instant, your life can change.

The innocence and fragility in not knowing, feeling vulnerable, and just being.. makes the adventure all worth while.

So, love like it's your last, and remember to tell the people you love most how much they matter (even through the smallest actions- nothing extravagant or showy).

Enjoy the simple moments in life.

Cherish!
Oh, yes!

All of this, yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning