Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

Awww, thanks, tn and Bluff. Last night as I was re-winding the day in my head, I came to the conclusion that I must be lonely for "conversation" with some feed back.

tn, you really would like the Paperwhite. I'm very happy with my purchase. Your Kindle has a key board? My keyboard appears on screen when I need it. Wow, this Fire sounds so much more advanced than even a year ago! Check out Amazon.com/Kindle about trading in your Kindle for a Paperwhite sometime. I think you would be very happy with the Paperwhite. Depending on how much/fast you read, Amazon has a subscription called "Prime". For $79 a year you can borrow books as many as you'd like. Otherwise it is one a month. I gobbled up the first book I borrowed so fast, I needed to get the Prime. I couldn't wait the month. I've slowed down since then but my Prime allows me to borrow movies real cheap on my Fire.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new coat and the bottons are still there!

Happy Birthday to Jim on what would have been his 73rd. I so understand the not suffering anymore. That part DOES bring me comfort too although I'd like to have my druthers as we all would.

Yep, this one day at a time does work but I like having things to look forward to too. Always have. I look forward to seeing a new morning now. On a morning like today I am so happy that my soul doesn't break with pain anymore, totally sunny albeit winter. I can revel in the warmth and beauty of such a glorious day. I pray that all can resume this feeling some day.

Bluff, wow, a Craftmatic you don't use, huhn? That's too bad it didn't work out with the single mattress. Why don't you use it now? Too many memories? Just easier to fall asleep in the recliner in front of the tv? I'm getting pretty good at sleeping in my glider. I slept 6 hours last night then fell asleep for another 3 while watching the news earlier. It's hell on my neck but at least I am sleeping. My neck muscles are actually getting used to this. I don't get a stiff neck like I used to.

We are having a "January thaw" here too. It's 40° already but the wind is making it feel like 23° . By this weekend it should be 50°. Then "they" say winter will return with a vengence.

Congrats on the new phones, Bluff. Glad we ladies could help nudge you. That's what we're here for, lol.

"Nudges R Us....nudging one person at a time to help heal."

Have a good day everyone. My best to all.

~tami~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
For those Enquiring Minds:

Here in Tucson, we're getting ready for temperatures in the 40's days and 20's nights, with more snow. I love the cold weather--don't like snow--because I know I'll be whining about the 105+ temps in July and August when my AC bill will be so high having to run it 24/7 from May - October.

Since I'm a really practical person, for my birthday/Christmas, I got myself a Dirt Devil Scorpion hand vacuum (necessary), a new electric blanket in preparation for the upcoming freeze (the old one was 20 years at least), a new paper towel holder and a beautiful storm (not security) door for the front ~~ cross ventillation and light. It's sitting in my garage as I can't put it in myself, so I'm waiting for our condo complex maintenance man to install it for me. Last summer, I got myself all new Andersen Vinyl low-e double paned windows (standard issue ones were cheap aluminum single paned), new kitchen sink and waterfall faucet, new Hunter Douglas wood Blinds (old were vinyl and bent easily), and a hardwood floor for the dining area. And this fall, I replaced all my "builder choice" lighting with "Marcy's Choice" lighting. Here's the door~~my big purchase for 2013...

3000 Series 36 in. Left-Hand Terratone Self-Storing Storm Door Oil Rubbed Bronze Hardware with Fast and Easy System-3SOEZL36TE at The Home Depot

I tend to buy things not for me, but for the house, kids, grandkids, (used to be for Bob all the time). If it's not home related, I find it hard to buy for me. I also buy lots of flowers to plant in pots on my balcony. I have to have flowers all the time. Living here in Tucson, it's possible to have them, so currently I have pansies in pots, hanging geraniums, and lots of herbs, all growing on my balcony.

Currently, I'm working on a 1000 piece puzzle by Springbok called Conserves. I loved having a puzzle going all the time, and since we haven't done one since Bob died, I splurged and got one, plus a small card table from Wal-Mart to set it up on. I'm loving it!

Finally, I got a jury summons for District Court for the week of February 16th. Sigh.....I've only been summoned once before, in 1986 and the trial was cancelled, so I didn't have to show up. Not looking forward to this...That's my life of late in a nutshell!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 AM

Way to go Marcy! I like that door. Retracting screen for a clear view and that foot stopper! Very nice indeed. Thank you for sharing. You'll be much warmer too with those new windows. Still wish I could've gotten my windows but the bed will help ease that wish not gotten. I so wish Earl had had life insurance. Oh well, I'm alive and surviving, guess I'll be happy with that and my new stove and bed.

I use a Down blanket and a comforter now instead of electric blankets. Why give more money than I have to to the electric company? I usually end up throwing the covers off in the middle of the night beause I am too hot! I sleep ON the blanket.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM

"tamiznluv...I can totally relate to what you wrote. After my first marriage ended I went through a "blonde bombshell" period for awhile to make-up for getting married so young. (I guess.)...But after awhile I got bored with all of it. I didn't want to be every man's "dream woman" anymore. I just wanted to be "me" and true to myself...I started focusing on my own goals and dreams. And my "inner self" versus just my "outer self."...Today I don't want "unwarranted attention" from men either. I just want to "blend in" and do my own "thing" and come and go freely...It feels good to be out of the "race" and competition. Sounds like you feel this way too! Thanks for sharing."

Hi there again, CA. I got married at 17 years old, not because of prgenancy, I wasn't, but to get out from under my mother's iron fist. Divorced after 4 years, remarried 8 years later and that was a worse mistake than #1! Put up with that a-hole until my mother died and I had met Earl. Mom had to go first so I would have a room to sleep in. My parents did not share a bedroom because of Daddy's snoring which, I found out about with Earl! I had crushed/lusted after my co-worker, Earl for 6 years when Mom died and I went to him to ask him to help me move furniture out of my house one Saturday when my then husband was working. The rest is the happiest history of my life. I wouldn't trade my almost 20 years with Earl for anything and I'm so happy to have met a man who was a "real" man and treated a woman like a lady. Earl destroyed all the previous 20 odd years of abuse I had taken. It wasn't until he threatened me with divorce after another one of my tirades about "MEN". I finally calmed down and took restock of myself and knew I had to let go of all my past and let Earl keep me in my present and future. That was the smartest move I have ever made.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times
Default Good thoughts

Someone posted this on my facebook page and I copied it, thought it was worth sharing here:

"You simply will not be the same person two months from now after consciously giving thanks each day for the abundance that exists in your life. And you will have set in motion an ancient spiritual law: the more you have and are grateful for, the more will be given you."
- Sarah Ban Breathnach

I couldn't have said it better myself!

tngirl

Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
Wow thank you for sharing. I really like it.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
Wow thank you for sharing. I really like it.
Me too, tn.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times
Default Yesterday

I meant to tell you all...yesterday would have been Jim's 73rd birthday. I got through the day just fine. Got a nice phone call from Jim's brother, who called to see how I was doing on that day. I thought that was very thoughtful of him. He calls me often just to chat and see how I am doing.....he lives in Mississippi, in the same town where they grew up.

They had been estranged as brothers for most of their adult life, but reconnected after we moved to Tennessee and were close ever since. They called each other several times a week and would talk forever, just like a couple of women! It did my heart good to see Jim laugh and get caught up on all the years.

I will always be grateful for the love that Jim knew for his brother before he died.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Tami, your new bed sounds wonderful!! When we bought this condo in 2008 to "snowbird", we bought a king sized Beauty Rest, and it's fine, except it's really high off the ground, with a 12" thick mattress or something. I almost need a step stool to get in it. I would LOVE to have a bed where I could put my feet or head up, that would massage, and more. My bed's only 5 years old, so I can't see getting rid of it. At the house in Colorado, we had a very old Sleep Number bed, but in the last couple of months, the air pump was going, and many a morning I'd wake up sleeping on the wood frame because all the air was gone from my side of the bed. We had ordered a new Sleep Number bed the week before Bob died, so when it arrived the day of his service, one of my kids signed to return it. Later, when I cleaned out the house to sell it (I stayed in a local hotel there) and move here to Tucson permanently, I trashed that bed!!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:35 AM

I looked into a Sleep Number bed too, Marcy. I used to love sleeping on my air mattress when ex and I would go camping but didn't appreciate it when I'd wake up on the ground sometimes. Plus I plan on getting another cat when I move back home from my home. Kitties like to make too much "money" for me to be comfortable with what is basically a fancy air mattress.

Maybe sometime in the future you could look into buying a platform for your bed, Marcy. I know they are sold seperately to convert beds. Just something to keep in the back of your head for "maybes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning