U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM

1,627 posts, read 2,634,492 times

Advertisements

Mkat and me - YouTube
Tiegang44

I would like to share with you a remarkable woman here on CD, who is a care-giver to not only her mother but to her 94 year old grandmother.

She has about 14 videos in YouTube under the name tiegang44. Her mother who is 71 years old and she suffers from Alzheimer's and her 94 year grandmother who is in excellent health, she is a hoot.

Mugsy approaches care-giving in a delightful way, always seems happy and makes it fun for her mother and grandmother. All three of them have loving smiles that light up a room. What a enlightening experience to watch. I wish I had watched these videos while taking care of my husband.

Mugsy dresses up her mother at Halloween as a punk rocker. You will see one video of her 94 year grandmother pushing a grocery cart with only a case of beer (that one cracked me up).

Mugsy approach to care-giving is a healthy way to approach it. Care-giving is HARD, for those of us that were care-givers can identify.

Please, I encourage you to watch her videos. Pass them along. I wrote Mugsy and told her how impressed I was watching them. Care-giving doesn't have to be all doom and groom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 AM

971 posts, read 1,132,262 times
Originally Posted by tngirl205
Too bad we can't meet in some central location for a weekend or something, a little girl time...........OR.....we could crash at Bluff's place on the lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding Bluff Dweller!

But really, it would be fun to meet all of you. Arranging that would take one big miracle!

That would be nice......a goal to look forward to.

Went to my third grief meeting tonight. Three of us exchanged phone numbers and plan to get together. We all need to share our experiences. One lost her husband and the other her mother whom she lived with. There are so many of us out here, and we baby boomers are over 65. There is going to be a great need for more groups.

Yes it would be nice for all of to get together and I wish I could offer a central location but the fact is that I am like Tami, "I wish I had the money". Being retired for 15 years and the rise in all yearly prices, I have been cutting costs for the last 4 years. Last year I used less utilities, less groceries but my medical insurance went up and I paid out $4,000 more than my income. Sorry, not economical to offer at this time.
Bluff

Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 AM

21,388 posts, read 18,115,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post

Yes it would be nice for all of to get together and I wish I could offer a central location but the fact is that I am like Tami, "I wish I had the money". Being retired for 15 years and the rise in all yearly prices, I have been cutting costs for the last 4 years. Last year I used less utilities, less groceries but my medical insurance went up and I paid out $4,000 more than my income. Sorry, not economical to offer at this time.
Bluff
How the heck do you survive, Bluff? How is that possible? That is scarey.

Heck, I've been talking with some people for almost 10 years now in my room that I have in cyberspace and though I'd love to meet them too, I still haven't and doubt I ever will. Such is life of the darned close to poor person. Don't worry, Bluff. Such is life having friends spread so all over the country and world even.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM

I forgot to mention that my bed will be delivered Thursday the 31st. Yippee! I can give myself a massage before I come back here! Now I can really get a move on with the packing. I'm thrilled.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
How the heck do you survive, Bluff? How is that possible? That is scarey.

Heck, I've been talking with some people for almost 10 years now in my room that I have in cyberspace and though I'd love to meet them too, I still haven't and doubt I ever will. Such is life of the darned close to poor person. Don't worry, Bluff. Such is life having friends spread so all over the country and world even.
I want to be rich in friendship like you!!!

My wife will have been gone five years tomorrow. She had gone through one series of chemo and radiation and was in remission for a couple of years. She continued to walk 5 miles each day. She then was put on chemo again and after about 6 months I would come home from work and find her asleep on the stairway trying to get back to her bedroom. Our house was 4 levels and 5 stairways. I told her that when she got into remission the next time that we would try to build a new house all on one level. She got in remission in 2000 and in 2oo4 we moved into the only new house we had ever lived in. Our old house we lived in for 36 1/2 years and fully expected to retire in that house that had electric, propane and wood heat for emergencies. All appliances were fairly new but we bought all new for the new house. So she got to live in her new house with the craftmatic bed for 4 years. I wound up selling my business to pay off all the expenses with not much left for the retirement, but I will make it until I die which I have told Glenda to not expect me soon. LOL It is a nice house she designed. Not much different from a double wide except 13 feet wider with an attached garage no less. And to think I scraped ice off my school bus and my wifes car for 28 years and now retired with a garage. Life is sure backwards????

Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 PM

1,627 posts, read 2,634,492 times
Hi everyone,
Sunday will mark seven months that Sam passed away. I really don't feel I would have progressed if it wasn't for the caring support of a CD member here that we all know and love. You all know how I feel about her. I tell everyone I know how wonderful of a person she is. My friends are so thankful to her. Many people worried about me. Doors are opening up for me now as far as my desire to want to go forward in life and I am meeting new people, this would never have happened if it wasn't for that certain someone that I think the world of.

I am no longer crying every single day. That is a real milestone for me. I sat out in the living room for two days straight and that is a big step for me. I still feel my husband in the living room, it is hard for me to be there. I even sat in his chair for five minutes. I can understand why people sell their houses. Yet, I feel comforted in a sense that I do feel him in this house and I don't want to let go of that.

I am still riding on a roller coaster and have an abundance of mixed emotions and you never know what will hit you next but the ride is not as frightful because I have someone to talk to on a daily basis and I can talk about anything I want to and this person listens to me and that really helps me. It is like someone sitting next to you during your roller coaster ride, I hold onto that person when times seem frightful.

I can only take one step at a time and I still struggle with becoming too overwhelmed. Too much vibration is as bad as having lack of vibration, my body sees it no different.

I attended a play a week ago and I had a good time. I attended a luncheon recently and attended a dinner meet-up and tomorrow i am meeting someone for the first time and we are having lunch together.
So, all is well and I continue to plug away but not without the caring of someone who has shown me the way.

Thank you all for your continuing support, frienship, caring and love.

I read your posts daily as all of you are part of my family.

From my heart to yours, Nameste,
Smilin

Old 01-26-2013, 04:26 AM

12,480 posts, read 14,350,287 times
so glad this forum and this thread is available. The Nicest people on CD pass through here. When I'm down about the various losses in my life, I pass through here to soak up the warmth and goodness of you all.
I lost a life-long friend last month. Then his birthday was a few days ago.
I lost several really good friends last year.
Hoping to see them again one day..................

Have a great week-end

Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 AM

363 posts, read 404,454 times
Default Friendships

Bluff Dweller, I consider myself fortunate to have a friend like you. If I can only have you here in this forum, and never meet you face-to-face, that is ok, I consider myself blessed to have you.....and everyone here, as part of my family.

Smilin, you continue to be a real blessing and an inspiration to me. Friday will be 10 months for me since Jim died. Even though I am in this new house, I feel him here with me everyday. I just got a "settlement" from SSA on back credits that he never received from his years of military service. It was a nice sum, and I believe that Jim is still taking care of me. I am so proud of him and so blessed to have him in my life.

You said that doors are opening....I find that true too. I'm glad you are getting out, and so excited that you are having lunch with someone! I hope I find that one day.

You are all my brothers and sisters that mean the world to me, and I find daily strength from all of you. Thanks to that caring someone, smilin, that has shown you the way from darkness to a little light.

I'm rootin for all of you, and I know you are for me too!

tngirl

Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 AM

Hi ya, Pip. Sorry to hear about your friend. Last time I really talked with you, hadn't a g/f just passed? (((HUGS)))

MY g/f across the street who finished chemo and radiation for lung cancer 6 months ago had to start another type of chemo for the new cancer they found in her shoulder and her neck. The neck one is pretty close to the esophagus and she went through Earl's sickness with me and she is pretty darned scared. Her lungs are fine so far but this just sucks that there is more in different places. She's been going for check ups every 3 months so what they found is pretty new. Hopefully they caught it in the bud. Friggin' cancer.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl205 View Post
Bluff Dweller, I consider myself fortunate to have a friend like you. If I can only have you here in this forum, and never meet you face-to-face, that is ok, I consider myself blessed to have you.....and everyone here, as part of my family.

Smilin, you continue to be a real blessing and an inspiration to me. Friday will be 10 months for me since Jim died. Even though I am in this new house, I feel him here with me everyday. I just got a "settlement" from SSA on back credits that he never received from his years of military service. It was a nice sum, and I believe that Jim is still taking care of me. I am so proud of him and so blessed to have him in my life.

You said that doors are opening....I find that true too. I'm glad you are getting out, and so excited that you are having lunch with someone! I hope I find that one day.

You are all my brothers and sisters that mean the world to me, and I find daily strength from all of you. Thanks to that caring someone, smilin, that has shown you the way from darkness to a little light.

I'm rootin for all of you, and I know you are for me too!

tngirl
Thank you for the nice words tngirl, I feel the same way with you. I always wanted a sister and all I got was 9 year younger dumb twin brothers. LOL I had a lot of questions while growing up an no females to help with the answers. Yea, I have a lot of sisters now. Glad to hear Jim is still helping you.

Pip, thanks for the rep. My first time speaking with you but hopefully not the last. Sorry for your loss. I too lost my longest male friend a year ago and next longest friend 6 months ago. I am sure we will see them again but now we are going to share with our new friends.

Tami ..my craftmatic doesn't vibrate, hope you enjoy yours soon.

I was thinking last night and that seems to always get me into trouble <grin> I had always heard that stress, such as worry and all related variables could cause illnesses. Wouldn't it be something that the posting is relieving stress for us and making us healthier? So thanks MODS for helping us healthwise!
Hmmmm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning