U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 08:59 AM

21,542 posts, read 18,200,837 times

Advertisements

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I am 6 1/2 weeks into living in almost paradise. The weather is wonderful. Got myself my very first smartphone! What an amazing invention that is!

Did something I thought I would never do...I took off and sold my wedding rings! I woke up Monday feeling IT WAS TIME. Earl would be pleased. He wanted me to be happy and move on. He gave me his blessings. January 19th will be 4 years and I am ready to be truly "single", at least according to my hand. I bought a beautiful pavé marquis shaped diamond ring but the ends are oval shaped. I like it very much. I had diamonds and rubies before. Diamond is my birthstone.

I cried when I took them off and cried when I put this one on. I kissed my rings many times. Knowing that Earl would be pleased that I am finally recovered enough to take this step is helping me "move on" now. Earl gave me the greatest gift of love that he could...his blessing. Thank you my dear, wonderful husband. I shall always love you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 01:05 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,519,337 times
Oh Tami, I am so happy to hear that you're happy! I apologize for not checking in sooner....I get fixated on certain threads, like sometimes the Home Decorating one or lately the Retirement one.

Anyway, congrats on taking the big step about the rings! So let me ask you this: Does your new ring look like an engagement ring, and which hand/finger are you wearing it on? I have a funny ring story. I've been divorced for ages, and 15 years ago, I decided I too wanted to wear a beautiful diamond ring even though I wasn't married or engaged. So I bought myself a diamond wedding band, but in a contemporary style that didn't look too "wedding-bandy" and I had it sized for my left middle finger.

In 2007, I moved to a shore resort town where the locals knew who was single, so some of the local losers at the karaoke bar became interested in me. I decided to make myself look vaguely "taken", so I bought myself a LeVian chocolate-diamond ring for my left ring finger. It's pave diamonds, not a single stone, so it could look engagement-y or not, but it's sure sparkly. I wear it next to the diamond wedding band, so anyone looking would not really be able to tell if I'm married, engaged, or just like rings.

The strategy came in handy a few months ago, when a guy down here was interested in me; I was not into him but made the mistake of being friendly and talkative with him. At one point he must've noticed the rings, and he pointed to my hand and said, "Are you engaged...married...?". I lied, "Yes, I'm engaged" and he left in a huff.

So then I went to a new place and there were a couple cute men there, so I switched the LeVian ring to the other hand because one of the girls said it looked like an engagement ring. Of course, this did not help at all as no one's asked me on a date....but I tried. Anyway, so that's why I'm asking what your "ring strategy" will be....LOL.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:43 AM

1,627 posts, read 2,642,383 times
Hi Tami, glad to hear you are making a new life for yourself, a new beginning. Good for you. It is encouraging to know that life goes on after our husband's die. I am proud of you. Time to move on, time to adapt to a new life.
I wish you nothing but the best..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning